Thank you to all those who donated in 2015!

DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 595

Clementi - Sonatina Op. 36, No. 4

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Feb 19, 2012.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I am in the process of re-recording my set of Clementine's sonatinas mostly because the sound quality on my first version is pretty weird and my playing on some of the particular pieces is not that good, either. I won't bore everybody by posting all of my redo's, but this one is my favorite sonatina of the set and thought it couldn't hurt to put it here. I used no pedal at all and only touched the soft pedal briefly one time.

Clementi - Sonatina Op.36 No.4 - 1 : Con spirito

Clementi - Sonatina Op.36 No.4 - 2 : Andante con espressione

Clementi - Sonatina Op.36 No.4 - 3 : Rondo: Allegro vivace

2. Affinity

Affinity New Member

Solid performance, but I feel it's a little too safe in terms of dynamics for the first and third movement. I'm sure the piece would benefit from a few touches/ideas here and there, you could put in a crescendo from 1:47 to 1:49 and a change in dynamics for the louder when you repeat the measure at 2:09 once more for the first movement. As for the rondo, from 01:01-01:03 you could play the second repetition softer than the first and other related stuff. In general, when a measure is repeated, I think one should vary the dynamics in order to sustain musical interest.

The second movement is pretty exquisite as a whole however, though I would personally play the Bb bass note softer.

3. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you for your comments, Affinity. You are absolutely correct in that one should do something different on repeats, like alter the dynamics. I usually do that. This time around I didn't think it was appropriate given the way the music is written. Also, yes, there are some dynamic markings in my score but we have to keep in mind that they must be editorial and Clementi probably did not write them in. Or if he did, he had no way of knowing that future pianos would be capable of producing a much wider range of dynamics than his 'current' piano did at the time. Still, I appreciate what you wrote, as it reminds me to pay attention to these things, so thanks again. :)

4. johnmar78

johnmar78 New Member Piano Society Artist

Food chemist / pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Mar
    First Name:
    John
    http://www.geocities.com/johnmarshome/
    Bravo, I enjoyed listening to your new recordings, sounds very stereo and light. Excellent work.

5. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, John! :)

6. Claudio Colombo

Claudio Colombo New Member

Piano teacher
    Home Page:
    http://www.mp3classicalmusic.net
    Bar 42 (1'47") in the I mov. is 4/4? Why?

Bar 31 of III mov.: the first note in the r.h. should be a G, not F.

II mov. is "Andante espressivo". If you search for this piece on iTunes, you can see a duration range between 1'49" and 2'17". Yours is 1'14". Too fast. I'm not agree at all with your staccato in the beginning. The word "espressivo" would suggest a legato, in my opinion (with pedal, of course).

In the whole Sonatina you make too many speed changes, not musically justified. For example: in the Finale you every time strike up the main theme faster, and then you slow down. In the "Andante" you tend to speed up the semiquavers in the r.h. It seems you want to escape.

However, I get some hints of the "spirito clementino" in the first and in the third movement. Not in the second movement, definitely out of style, and not "espressivo".

7. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you very much for pointing out my errors, Claudio. That spot where I made it 4/4 time - I have no idea why I did that! :oops:
    Where I played an F instead of a G - Oh man, I've been playing an F my whole life! :oops: :oops:

As far as my tempo in the 2nd movement: It's just the way I feel the piece. I guess I can go a little bit slower, but my pedal usage and articulation are what I prefer; I don't think 'espressivo' necessarily means legato and I don't think one should use much pedal in these sonatinas. My 3rd movement tempo - I like to play the opening theme a little quickly because I think it makes the piece sound more playful. I didn't realize I slowed down in other places, though, and I'm still not sure that I did.

Well, anyway, looks like I'll have to re-re-record this one because of those two mistakes.

8. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    It probably felt like a good idea at the time :lol:

9. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I guess so.... :roll:

10. robert

robert New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    http://pianosociety.com
    WLM:
    robertstahlbrand@hotmail.com
    Wonderful! Got me into a cheerful mode in the boring hotel I stay at during this night (didn't spot the mistakes mentioned) . Completing the entire op.36 cycle!

Definitely deserves a tweet :).

11. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you for listening, Robert! :D

I hope there is a nice mini-bar in your hotel room....haha.

12. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    http://francoisdelarrard.chez-alice.fr
    I was not in a boring hotel - which happens to me sometimes too - but in my comfortable new home, and we had pleasure to listen your sonata while dining with my wife. Light but nice music, elegantly played... Congratulations, Monica !

13. andrew

andrew Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/andrewwright
    TWITTER:
    arpeggio_andrew
    YOUTUBE:
    alkanliszt
    Nice playing, but I'm inclined to agree with Claudio about the second movement. The movement sounds fine in isolation but taking the work as a global whole I think it would provide more contrast if you took it a bit slower. As it is, it sounds almost as if there are three fast movements (or at least two fast movements with a scherzo in between). As for pedal, perhaps a few touches do fit an espressivo marking; I wouldn't go overboard with it, and I like the way you've kept things clean in the outer movements.

14. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, Francois! :)
    Thank you, Andrew! :) Since now two people think my second movement is too fast, then I will re-record it.

15. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Monica,

I listened to all three movements. Sounded very good to me! Your playing has crisp articulation and evenness, changes in touch, dynamic contrasts, and good overall control. I enjoyed listening.

P.S. I didn't listen with the score. The story: Back around 1955/56 I played three of these Op. 36 Sonatinas, Nos. 2, 3 and 6. I recall that when I was 11 or 12 and had wrapped up No. 6, I threw the Clementi out. Regrettably it's true. :oops: :roll: But then I had to deal with Haydn.

David

16. pianoman342

pianoman342 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    Hi Monica,

I listened to your redo of this Clementi Sonatina. I have not heard it before, and think you play it well. I agree that the 2nd movement was a little on the slow side, but the passage work and tempo of all three were very much under control, and those fast pieces... you must really have to focus and practice these to play them so fast and clear! It is an inspiration to me :)

Enjoyed listening to these,

Riley

17. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi David, and thank you! :)
    I was playing these sonatinas when I was 11 or 12 too! My second teacher introduced me to them and I really loved the whole set; I couldn’t wait to get on to the next one. That’s one reason I think it’s important to change teachers every now and then. Each teacher has his or her own agenda and may not like certain repertoire and therefore does not feel like teaching it to their students. Did you really throw out your Clementi book? I’m actually still using mine today, which has my old piano teacher’s notes in it. Hope Haydn was kind to you… :p

Hi Riley, and thank you too! :)
    I think you meant that my second movement is too fast. I’ll have a quiet house to myself tomorrow, so I plan on doing nothing all day but recording (re-recording) this sonatina, as well as all the others too. Regarding my playing: I’ve been playing these sonatinas for a long time, so it’s not too difficult to just sit down and play them, plus they are not too difficult. Except when recording…. :wink: :x :)

18. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Monica,

Yeah, I actually pitched out the Clementi. From a musical styles point of view, I believe I was an entrenched neo-romantic even at that age. :lol: I slightly favored Clementi though over Bach which to me was pure drudgery.

David

19. richard66

richard66 Richard Willmer Piano Society Artist

Amateur musician
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Willmer
    First Name:
    Richard
    http://server3.pianosociety.com/cms/index.php?section=2963
    At present our daughter is paying second piano to the rondò, if this will do.

I like your rendition of the outer movements, but I do feel that the middle one could have been... well... more expressive, though not necesarily slower.

These I never played, as I never played Beethoven's sonatinas. It might be due not to a teacher who did not like them, but to the fact I began playing as an old man (that is, considering all pianist seem to start playing while still donning nappies!) and I was all of 18.

20. jlr43

jlr43 Member Piano Society Artist

Technical Editor
    Last Name:
    Renouf
    First Name:
    Joe
    :shock: David! ... Say it's not so :lol: