DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 825

"Christmas Chimes" (Composition for 2 pianos)

Discussion in 'Composing' started by Anonymous, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi,

I've recently written a piece for 2 pianos: a potpourri of Christmas melodies in my own rendition.
    I'd love to get your impressions. The piece is 10 min but I couldn't make it available in its complete version
    since it is sold on online stores, so I did a condensed 4 min version of it, enough to give an idea.

"Christmas Chimes"

Thanks!

Guy Bacos

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi Guy,
    Your Christmas music sounds very pretty and I enjoyed most of it. One little thing: It sometimes sounds like there is just too much going on - like it's too busy in certain parts with all the runs and trills and so forth. I'm in a big hurry now and can't write out exactly what songs I mean, but I know that they were in the first half of this file here. It's probably just me, though. I'm pretty picky. I really liked the later songs and loved the harmonies.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks Monica for you feedback!

Maybe it's the potpourri effect giving this impression of too much going on. I can leave the full version here a couple of days, hoping people won't download it. :) The other thing is, I purposely was looking for a carillon effect from beginning to end. With 2 live performers I think a lot can be better balanced as well.

Full version:

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Anyone else?

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Very inventive and surprising. Also way too slick and glitzy for my European taste... Maybe one must be American to fully appreciate this.
    The fading in and out of dozens of short sections does it no favor IMO. Take a few less themes, do a bit more with them, avoid that
    artificial fading, and try be a little less Disney-like, would be my advice.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks!

It's not your cup of tea, I understand. :)

Hmm! Well, my descendants are egyptians, I'm born in Switzerland and have lived in Quebec all my live. So don't know where that leaves me...

Not sure that's really making any difference in your liking it or not, but something to consider.

Thanks for listening and commenting! :)

7. differencetone

differencetone New Member

Musician, Artist, Dreamer
    Home Page:
    http://www.differencetone.com
    You are a gifted performer but I hate Christmas music. I just get sick and tired of the same melodies every year.

8. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I half sympathize with this.
    Yet, last month I volunteered to accompany the local youth choir on piano in the Christmas service and, despite having a nasty cold/flu, I really enjoyed that. Especially the Christmas medley, a hotch-pot which for some reason I really liked, mostly because it was fun to play with lots of nice flashy piano bits ;-) Alas, I forgot to push the rec button on my recorder, so that of all the 5 numbers this one, which I liked most, wasn't taped. Darn. And it came out best, too. :x

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks! That's what was interesting about the project, giving a fresh sound to old melodies.

10. dileomusic

dileomusic New Member

Hi Guy,my you are amazing-player and composer.I checked out a lot of your site and it says a lot--I wished I was doing that for a career
    I love the sounds of the Vienna suite too
    on the Christmas chimes-I would really enjoy it if there was not so much dissonance
    I love Christmas music and wintery snow music
    Sandy