Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chris and me four hands: Mozart, Sonata KV 497 complete!

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by musicusblau, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Tobias

Tobias New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Sing
    First Name:
    Tobias
    I just listened to the first movement and commented on your (Andreas') Youtube page. But let me also say it here: Bravo!! It is so nice to have such a wonderful real-life cooperation come out of our virtual forum. It is inspired, joyful music making and it also obvious from the video how you enjoyed playing piano together; you should consider going on concert tour together :D
    Thanks for sharing this and again, bravo!
    P.S. Andreas, I hope you had a nice holiday in Netherlands also besides the piano playing!

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Tobias ! Haha yes, concert touring. Let's drop our jobs, or take out a sabbatical, and become touring artists :lol: It's a nice idea to entertain (like what would I do if I won the lottery).
    Indeed it was very enjoyable, even the sometimes many takes for one page did not diminish that.

3. Tobias

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Sing
    First Name:
    Tobias
    Actually, I as going to ask for some hints on video cutting (probably Andreas, I guess?). The cutting is really perfect in my opinion!! (and this should also give you the reward of the work of multiple takes). If you don't mind, I'd love to hear about the steps you're doing during preparing the video.

- Do you record all takes of a movement in one continuous recording session (i.e. red light on all the time)?
    - In processing, do you align audio and video only once, or do you first identify the individual takes and align audio+video separately for all of them?
    - How do you keep track which take to use for which part of the movement?
    - How long does it take you to edit such a video?
    - Any other hints? Is there any good book or tutorial for this kind of video editing in which you need to select from and align tracks from multiple takes?

Thanks & congrats again!

4. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Tobias,
    thank you for your kind comment and interest. I would like to give back you the congratulations to your three new videos, which I have commented you YouTube, they are really splendid!

Tobias wrote:
    No, we do several takes of one page in one "red light on", the last one of each take will be the best, so I know, that I always have to take the last one. If there are still terrible flaws, sometimes I cut in a correct version of this passage from a take done before, but not so in these recordings.

I don´t know the meaning of "to align", sorry. I first do edit the audio track by cuting together all last takes of each page (one track contains all takes of one page). When I have the complete audio-track I do cut the video (each video track contains all takes of one page, too). Then I delete the original sound-track from the video and put the audio-track, recorded with the better mikes under the video-track.

It´s mostly or generally the last take of one track, so it´s easy to find.

Much too long. Let´s say between 5 to 10 hours per video, depending on the length and complications, which may be while working on it. May be you all here understand now, why I do not post so much recordings like Chris, who does only audio-recordings. May be I should change my work and do also only audio-recordings in future, so I would be able to post more pieces here on PS. (But my friends on YouTube would be sad, I suppose.)

I don´t know any literature about that theme, sorry. All I do I have learned by others, who gaves tips to me and by myself in the sense of the principal of "trial and error". :wink:

I hope, I could help you!

5. Tobias

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Sing
    First Name:
    Tobias
    Thank you very much Andreas, for that thorough explanation!
    By "aligning" audio and video I meant the process of making sure that the audio from the microphones is really at the correct time (i.e. at the same time as the audio from the video camera). But your explanation made it clear what you meant! Wow, 5-10 hours! I think I'll accept the mistakes in my recordings more happily from now on, as I'm too lazy to try to edit them all out :D

This is completely inacceptable!!! Your Youtube friends (to whom I belong) would not allow that :D

6. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Tobias wrote:
    I really really think more and more I should make this attitude my own...

Tobias wrote:
    Thanks for the warm words. :D