Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chris and me four hands: Mozart, Sonata KV 497 complete!

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by musicusblau, Aug 18, 2009.

1. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi friends,
    as you eventually know from the other threads I have met Chris during my vacations in the Netherlands and here follows our second four hands project: Mozart, Sonata in f-major, KV 497, for piano four hands. We have done all three movements, though I have to say only the first and the second movement are acceptable concerning the number of slips. The third movement we have recorded after dinner and wanted to finish it. I came to Chris on monday, 10th of August, at a quarter past 10 am and we had dinner at nearly 19 o´clock in the evening. Then we recorded the third movement between half past 7 pm and I left Chris at 21 o´clock. I still had to drive nearly two hours and was at my bungalow at the Ijsselmeer at a quarter past 23 o´clock.
    So, after 10 hours of recording-session (with little breaks of meal and Golsch) we where really a bit tired of doing the third movement and we just took it as a vacation-pleasure. So, don´t take it too serious.
    The first and the second movement are well and I still like the expression we put in very much!

So here are the video-links to the first and second movement:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT5iUXYC ... annel_page (Adagio-Allegro di molto, first movement)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMMm_k2U ... annel_page (Andante, second movement)

Below you will find the audio-files of all three movements.

Of course, we are very curious on your comments!

Mozart - KV497 - Sonata in F major for piano four hands - 1: Adagio-Allegro di molto ( 06:47 )
    Mozart - KV497 - Sonata in F major for piano four hands - 2: Andante ( 07:25 )
    Mozart - KV497 - Sonata in F major for piano four hands - 3: Allegro ( 07:51 )

2. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    I enjoyed this sonata, but I think the 2nd movement is the highlight of the recording session

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    It is true, the finale has more slips than we care for. If only we'd had more time... there is only so much one can do in a day, and I was getting rather fed-up with this movement at last, as well as (I hate to admit it) getting tired.

Maybe one day we can do better, but in the meantime I think this is perfectly acceptable. The slips are numerous but very minor, and I am surprised at how many things actually went right, for example most of these difficult joint and/or crossed runs. Ultimately it will need to go a bit faster, too, but I think this is a steady and solid effort. Hahaha, sounds like I am reviewing someone else's recording :wink:

The second movement came out quite well after our initial troubles with the 32th runs. I also like the video with the windsurfing part in the middle :lol:

4. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    A great job achieved just within a couple of hours!
    Differently from Julius' opinion I think the highlight of this recording set is the first movement. It has the fire that catchs the listener and doesn't let him go. The second mov. is quite good, too, but I wish some more subtle elegance on several spots.
    Didn't you guys have different views about the interpretation? How did you find an agreement? I'm very interested in the cooperaing work between musicians itself :)

5. Didier

Didier Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Bravo! Bravo!

What a joy in Mozart's music!

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    We seemed to have pretty much the same ideas on everything we played, and there was no need for any discussion or upfront agreement. Occasionally one did a suggestion which the other always agreed with. It was an ideal partnership, I think. Musically as well as technically (although I seem to make more mistakes than andreas, which irritates me no end).

I agree with the 2nd movement being a little straightlaced. We were happy to get the notes sort of right (especially these frigging little 32th notes runs). I guess it would take months (if not years) of practice to get this to sound the way it really should. Which is a frustrating though....

7. timmyab

timmyab New Member

Wow, you play so well together both here and in the Dvorak.The piano is the third star of the show and simply couldn't sound better to my ears.I agree that the third movement could do with some more work but is still enjoyable.I'd like to put in a request for Schubert's Fantasie in F minor for next time.
    I haven't played duets and I was wondering if just one person controls the dampers or is there some sort of attachment that allows both players to pedal?

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I think Hye-Jin and Alfonso are planning to do this one. A next time for us two will likely bring more Dvorak and/or re-recordings of the one we did now.

The rule is that the left player does the pedaling. Not sure why, but there's probably a good reason for it. When I played the left part (in Mozart 2nd mvt) I had to constantly kick Andreas away from the pedal :lol:

9. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Techneut wrote:
    I agree to all points.

It´s always useful to be self-critical in the same way as with others! :lol: :wink:

Yes, that brings a fresh movement to the music! :lol:

10. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Juufa72 wrote:
    Thanks Julius. :D Though I personally think, the first movement is as well as the first. But that´s always a matter of taste, of course.

11. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hyenal wrote:
    Thank you, Hye-Jin. :D

It´s a matter of taste, of course. For me personally the first and the second movement are of a quite equal (similar) quality (I try to express it as neutral as possible). 8)

May be we are not so elegant persons. :lol: :wink: Seriously, of course, more elegance would have been possible and also nice. Somehow we had no different views concerning interpretation. We listened to our suggestions each other and tried our best to improve our playing while doing several takes of each page. We had not so much time to make a great concept of interpretation, of course, on this one day. So, we let many things to the spontaneous inspiration of the moment.
    I agree to Chris. I felt it also to be an ideal partnership, somehow uncomplicated. I appreciate that very much.
    And Chris is also right concerning the fact, that one had more to practise to get these movements perfectly and in a more professional sense. For me that isn´t frustrating in contrary, but just a very normal thing and experience, I make again and again.

12. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Didier wrote:
    Thank you, Didier! :D I will go to listen now to your last recordings. They always are also a great joy for me.

13. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    timmyab wrote:
    Thank you, Timmy! :D (Is this your prename or is it Tim? If I did wrong, I´m very very sorry in advance. :oops: )
    Of course, we would have to work much more on the third movement. Schubert´s Fantasie in f-minor would be also a great thing, though I think, Chris and me are very attracted by a complete set of the Slavonic Dances by Dvorak.

Usually one person controls the pedals and usually it´s the person, who plays the Secondo-part (=on the left side), because he (or she) has more overview over the harmonies and the basic movement. But ín more rare cases it may be useful to change and to give the person, who plays the Primo, the control over the pedals also.

14. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Techneut wrote:
    So I am, you know, I am hooked on pedals. If I can´t get one, my hands begin to tremble and I do get shivering! :lol:

15. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Haha, I know well that feeling :lol:

These are up on the site.

16. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Chris and Andreas,

Bravo! You both play Mozart four-hands with accuracy, sensitivity, and expressiveness. I admire pianists like you who can play Mozart so well. (Unfortunately, I am not one of them. For me, to fathom Mozart would be like trying to figure out the mysterious intricacies of knot tying--impossible! :lol: ) Splendid playing!

You both looked great out there on the sailfish too. Neither of you capsized even once, that is unless Andreas edited it out of the video. :lol:). Looks like fun!

David

17. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi David,
    thank you for your kind and encouraging comment. :D (The next recordings to which I will listen are your ones, btw, just didn´t found any time until now, because school restarts on monday and I have some preparations again. But I´m very curious on your Catoire.)
    Yes, the wind-surfing was fun, and you know, I´m a little master in editing (and choosing) the sequences. :wink:

18. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks David ! Much as I make slips in these recordings, I tumbled off the surfboard multiple times. Mostly however that was when the wind started to get unreliable and suddenly dropped.

19. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Chris,

Ah yes, Andreas had alluded above that there had been just the slightest and most discrete bit of editing on the sailboard video. :lol: Obviously though, the unpredictable wind did not diminish your good time out there on the water.

David

20. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Certainly not ! :D
    But I've now picked up that horrible surfing itch that makes me look at the trees constantly and wanting to pack my stuff and go. If I should peoduce less recordings in future, it will be Andreas' fault for letting me on his board :lol: