DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 755

Chopin's wings (not legs) and Stephen Hough's blog

Discussion in 'Useful resources' started by alf, Feb 24, 2009.

1. alf

alf New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Stephen Hough has now a blog at the Daily Telegraph:
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/stephen_hough/blog/

As he says in the opening article, for him it’s "an opportunity to freewheel on books, travel, religion, clothes, food (especially chocolate), gadgets, exhibitions I see, hotels in which I can't sleep, airports I get stuck in ... and, of course, music." As well as being an extraordinary pianist, he is also a brilliant writer and whatever the topic, reading him is always stimulating. So much food for thought, as they say. In particular, I want to draw your attention to a very worthy read about tempos in Chopin: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/stephen_hough/blog/2009/02/09/agile_wings_not_muscular_legs

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Wow - that's a very interesting blog. Thanks for putting this up, Alfonso. Looks like I've got some nice reading to do today.

And interesting about the tempo in Chopin's Etude 10/3. I never knew that about how the beginning is supposed to go much faster. Do you have a link to a recording of it like that?

3. alf

alf New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    No, I know of no interpretations like that. Perahia, who plays Op. 10-6 at the so often disregarded faster tempo Chopin indicated, plays Op. 10-3 at the usual slow tempo. So, we'll need to wait for Hough's take on the Etudes. 8)