DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2017-12-31
$ 1,000
So far donated
$ 1,045
Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2016.
A big thank you to Project Petrucci who has helped us already meet our 2017 goal!

Chopin's wings (not legs) and Stephen Hough's blog

Discussion in 'Useful resources' started by alf, Feb 24, 2009.

1. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Stephen Hough has now a blog at the Daily Telegraph:
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/stephen_hough/blog/

As he says in the opening article, for him it’s "an opportunity to freewheel on books, travel, religion, clothes, food (especially chocolate), gadgets, exhibitions I see, hotels in which I can't sleep, airports I get stuck in ... and, of course, music." As well as being an extraordinary pianist, he is also a brilliant writer and whatever the topic, reading him is always stimulating. So much food for thought, as they say. In particular, I want to draw your attention to a very worthy read about tempos in Chopin: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/stephen_hough/blog/2009/02/09/agile_wings_not_muscular_legs

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Wow - that's a very interesting blog. Thanks for putting this up, Alfonso. Looks like I've got some nice reading to do today.

And interesting about the tempo in Chopin's Etude 10/3. I never knew that about how the beginning is supposed to go much faster. Do you have a link to a recording of it like that?

3. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    No, I know of no interpretations like that. Perahia, who plays Op. 10-6 at the so often disregarded faster tempo Chopin indicated, plays Op. 10-3 at the usual slow tempo. So, we'll need to wait for Hough's take on the Etudes. 8)