Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chopin Waltzes Opus 70 numbers 2 and 3

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by MarkB, Apr 17, 2009.

1. MarkB

MarkB Member Piano Society Artist

Chartered Engineer
    Last Name:
    Budd
    First Name:
    Mark
    Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkBPiano
  2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hello again,

These are great! Op. 70 no.2 is on my long list of pieces to record some day too. btw - nice trills at the end.

Now you have met our requirements, so if you give us your bio and photo we will add you as a member of Piano Society.

3. MarkB

Chartered Engineer
    Last Name:
    Budd
    First Name:
    Mark
    Youtube:
    Thank you for your kind comments.

Presumably I send the Boig etc.. to the info@pianosociety.com address ?

For trills and finger independence I recommend the Dohnanyi exercises - very difficult at first but pays dividends in the long run and help build a reliable and consistent technique.

Thanks
    Mark

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I like your sympathetic handling of these charming waltzes. They seem to have the right amount of rubato and dynamics without being overly sentimental. The only possible issue with the playing that some of the ornaments in the 70.2 seem a bit imperfect (e.g. the first one).

Though your piano sounds good I am not too keen about the recorded sound. There seems to be some background noise/resonation, I don't quite know how to explain. What's your recording setup ?

5. MarkB

Chartered Engineer
    Last Name:
    Budd
    First Name:
    Mark
    Youtube:
    Unfortunately, my recording setups and conditions have varied a lot. These recordings were done via an analogue microphone amplifier into an analogue tape deck and then digitised, hence some 50Hz harmonics and general analogue noise.

I could attempt to filter them out using digital noise reduction techniques but they can be too effective sometimes and remove part of the frequency information relevant to the music as well so I tend to refrain from using them unless absolutely necessary.

The situation will improve as I have just purchased (and eagerly waiting for !) an Alesys digital mixer and 2 Behringer condenser microphones. Also, I will soon be getting a grand piano and so the whole setup will improve 100%.

Regards
    Mark

6. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    You can do that or put it right up here. Don't forget a photo.

7. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Mark,
    these are really good. I have done a little editing on each recording for you, so that the upper-frequencies did not suffer from noise-reduction (a very little bit you still can hear the hiss). (I have applied x-noise, reverb, equalizer, pan-normalisation.) Please, tell me, if you like them.
    If you don´t like them, it´s absolutely no problem.

Have my warm welcome here on PS. I like your recordings. They are inspiring.

BTW, I´ll have a recital in summer with a balance-point on Chopin-piece. This evening I´m going to record the "Raindrop-prelude" probably and I recently I´ve recorded the Nocturne op. 15, 1.

8. MarkB

Chartered Engineer
    Last Name:
    Budd
    First Name:
    Mark
    Youtube:
    Thanks.

I've sent a biography and photograph to the info@... email address.

Best regards
    Mark

9. MarkB

Chartered Engineer
    Last Name:
    Budd
    First Name:
    Mark
    Youtube:
    The email got rejected from info@pianosociety.com, twice - it said that it couldn't find a host called stahlbrand.net. - so, here are the gory details :

Biography of Mark Budd.

"Born in 1960, in East Yorkshire, England, Mark was always attracted to classical music as a child and, apart from a few informal lessons with the primary school headmaster, Mark taught himself the piano until the age of 17 when, he felt the need to take things a little more seriously. He sought formal tuition with John Pearson of Beverley. who gave his technique a more solid foundation and expanded his knowledge of the repertoire. Mark also started playing the organ and accompanied a number of services at the local church.

A career in music was never a serious consideration at that stage, so other subjects took precedence and Mark studied engineering at University. Whilst there, he was taught piano by Michael Almond, who had studied at the old Manchester College of Music with Claude Biggs (teacher of John Ogdon). Here, Mark performed in a number of concerts and also passed a performer's diploma at the Trinity College of Music in London (LTCL).

Formal study at music college was suggested and considered but after due consideration and consulation it was clear that it was too late to be a solo performer and life as an accompanist didn't appeal. However, some benefits of the process were some lessons with Sulamita Aronovsky which were invaluable in developing the means of expression.

After a few brief flirtations of performing in public, Mark is content with playing and practising the piano (and, more recently, a revived interest in the organ) for himself and a few friends, and pursuing a career in the field of telecommunications. "

I hope this meets your requirements.

Regards
    Mark

10. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    That's fine, Mark. I'll have your page up sometime today.

11. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, Mark - your page is up along with these recordings. I did not see Andreas' edited versions until after I already put up the first ones. If you like how he edited your files, I can replace them. Also, when you get your new recording equipment, maybe you can re-record some of these (also your Rachmaninov).

Please check if everything is in order.

12. MarkB

Chartered Engineer
    Last Name:
    Budd
    First Name:
    Mark
    Youtube:
    Hello again,

I like the way the recordings were edited and I'm happy for them to replace the original ones on the site.

Andreas, thanks for your efforts. Were the applications used DirectX/VST plug-ins or were they part of a particular software package ? I've used Adobe Audition, Dart Pro and Arboretum noise reduction tools before but not the ones you mentioned.

I'm just finishing working on the Brahms Opus 118 set so should be posting a recording in the next week or so.

Thanks again.
    Mark.

13. MarkB

Chartered Engineer
    Last Name:
    Budd
    First Name:
    Mark
    Youtube:
    Hello,

I've done a similar thing to Andreas (using the Adobe Audition noise reduction function) with the recordings and managed to remove the noise and hum as well (see attached). Have a listen and select which ones you think are best.

Thanks
    Mark

14. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi Mark,

You are new, so you don't know this - but it takes us administrators quite a bit of time to process members recordings and put them onto the site. Consequently, we don't have time to listen to samples of recordings that experiment with sound editing and then choose which ones we think are best. Other members enjoy helping out when they can, but most often it is better for you to choose which recording you think is best and then we can go from there.

So I will await for you to tell me which of these four files you want up.

Thanks,
    Monica

15. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    MarkB wrote:
    Hi Mark,
    it was a pleasure to do editings on such beautiful recordings!
    I use Wave Lab 6.0 and the effects I used are DirectX-effects.

I like your editings more than mine, because there isn´t any rest of hiss and the frequencies are still clear enough, though they suffer a bit more than in my editing. So, you did a splendid job here and I envy you kindly a bit for this excellent noise-reduction-effect. May be I should buy also Adobe Audition? On the other side Wave Lab is known as a professional audio-editing-program. Probably it´s me, who is too stupid to use it as effectively as possible. :? What do you think, are the effects of Adobe Audition better as the ones of Wave Lab?

In every case Monica is right: You have to decide, which version you would like to have on the site. If I would be you, I would take your both editings.

16. MarkB

Chartered Engineer
    Last Name:
    Budd
    First Name:
    Mark
    Youtube:
    Thank you for the comments.

Monica, please put my edited versions on the site. Sorry, I should have realised how busy you must be.

Andreas, I think Wavelab and Adobe Audition have their strengths and weaknesses. Like most noise reduction programs, the Adobe denoise function is very good in some circumstances but not others. In this case it worked well but I have found other times when it doesn't work very well.

If you can get hold of a copy of Adobe Audition it would be worth trying it out and seeing what you think.

Thanks
    Mark

17. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    That's ok. These are now replaced.