Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chopin - Waltzes Op. 34 No. 1 and Op. 64 No. 1 (Minute)

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by harald, Jul 29, 2008.

1. harald

harald Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Vetter
    First Name:
    Harald
    We have no version of Chopin's Waltz Op. 34 No. 1 on the site yet. Mabe that will change...
    The recording was made in 02/2007.

Oh, and the famous Minute-Waltz... I just listened to the versions on the site - and realized that my "molto vivace" is not very "molto". But perhaps it's also nice to provide the slowest version (02:28). I think the limit is fixed at about 2 minutes. Maybe we can declare it as a contribute to the musical variety...

Chopin - Waltz in A-flat Major, Op. 34, No. 1

Chopin - Waltz in D-flat Major, Op. 64, No. 1 "Minute Waltz"

2. johnmar78

johnmar78 New Member Piano Society Artist

Food chemist / pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Mar
    First Name:
    John
    Good work Pal. I enjoyed your op64/1 with your slow style playing. But I have to say that it was quite musical, this is the way I liked the pianist to play.

I also liked your elasticity playing it was very musical. One small thing, make sure your last chord come together with LH.

Cheers from Australia

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Guten tag Harald,

Ok – now we have some waltzes! Believe it or not, I have never really learned the 34-1 except for just casually running though it. I followed along with the score, though, and everything sounded nice.

The 64-1: Yes, it is slower than the rest of the recordings up here, and when I first read what you said, I thought I wasn’t going to like it. But it still sounds like the “Minute” waltz and like John Mar said, it is musically played.

Thanks for my Chopin fix for the night. Both waltzes are up on the site. Please check the links.

4. harald

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Vetter
    First Name:
    Harald
    Thank you, John! I'm glad to hear that the player of one of the fastest versions on the site also likes my slow playing!

Do you mean that I make an arpeggio in the last chord (f, a-flat, f)? I have to admit that I "composed" it into the notes...

Thank you for listening and commenting!

5. harald

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Vetter
    First Name:
    Harald
    Guten Abend Monica! Diese unerwartete Begruessung freut mich sehr!

Wow. Just running through a piece - that's something I can't do.

That is very diligent! Thank you!

Maybe we should call it the two-and-a-half-minute-waltz...

I have to thank you. The links are OK.

Greetings from germany,

Harald

6. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    If I remember correctly, this waltz came to Chopin from watching his dog chase its tail around in circles. It was never really meant to be played in a minute. So who is the knucklehead who nicknamed it that? Anyone know?

Und Harald, meine Mutter ist deutsch. So ich bin halb-deutsch. (is that right?)

Tschüss!

7. harald

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Vetter
    First Name:
    Harald
    According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minute_Waltz his publisher coined the nickname.
    There is also said that "a typical performance of the work will last between one and a half and two and a half minutes". Hey - I'm two seconds faster :D

Ich bin begeistert! And I asked myself how you typed the ü on your keyboard.

(When) did your mother go to America?

8. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ohhhh. “Minute” as in minute (small). I never got that until just now. I was going to say how awful some of those publishers were who gave all kinds of different titles to Chopin’s music. He did not like that!

I’m glad your timing with this piece is ‘right on’!

My father was in the army band and stationed in Germany around 1950. He swept my mother off her feet (maybe not with his trombone playing, but he also had a fine tenor voice, so he serenaded her under her window at night)(not really - I just make that last part up - I'm a bit of a romantic), they married and then came to live in America.

I have a program on my computer that does special characters from different languages. You probably have it too. It came with my computer. It’s called ‘character map’.