DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 755

Chopin Waltz no 15 op post in e major

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by timmyab, Feb 26, 2011.

1. timmyab

timmyab New Member

Hi.
    I made this recording last year and I've just noticed that the site doesn't have it, so I thought I'd offer it up for the sake of completeness if nothing else.
    It's an early work and rather lightweight, I can understand why he didn't publish it.Could have been turned into something though I'm sure.
    Sorry about the piano tone.It's got that hard digital edginess that I just can't seem to get rid of.Not very suitable for Chopin.

Chopin - Waltz no.15 Op. posth. in E major

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    This is up, Tim. Nice job - sounded tastefully played.

3. timmyab

timmyab New Member

Thank you.

4. sarah

sarah New Member

I don't know this little waltz very well - have only heard it a couple of times - but from what I little I know you seem to be technically solid and beautifully expressive with it. I particularly like your phrase shaping, which seemed very well-suited to the lightness of the piece. Thanks for sharing... I enjoyed it very much! :D

5. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    This is one of my favorite Chopin's waltzer!!! I always loved the elegance of this piece. But you seem to have a bit different image about this piece, guessing from your performance. Of course I heard it played always on an acoustic piano and probably this made the most of that difference (but you know, I play on a digital, too, nowadays), but your way of treating it sounds totally new to me. For example, you play the bars 29-31 (and all the similar spots) a bit too fast (giving me an impression of huriedness) and seem to end the music too abrubtly. I understand why Sarah wrote "the lightness of the piece" on her comment above, which was kind of unexpectedness to me because I never thought this piece has any lightness. But this is really a matter of taste, and I respect your interpretation which is in your own concept very successful. Thank you for giving me the chance to think about this piece!

6. timmyab

timmyab New Member

Ah, thanks.That's made my day.
    Yes, these are both valid criticisms I think.I don't mind 29-31 so much, it's roughly how I conceived it, but 37-39 should relax more back into the main theme, that's the bit that makes me cringe when I listen to it.I seem to remember thinking for quite a while on how to end the piece and never came to a definite conclusion, which probably accounts for the throw away ending.It's like I've just thought "Oh, I'm tired of this, let's do something else" :lol:
    Thanks for listening.

7. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nice clean, polished, and tasteful playing. I also found it just a tad hurried in some spots, and indeed the ending a bit too wimpy.
    The digital sound is not too bad.