Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chopin Waltz a-minor Op. 34 No. 2

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by harald, Jul 3, 2007.

1. harald

harald Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Vetter
    First Name:
    Harald
  2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I know the tempo marking is Lento for this, but I think your tempo in the very beginning is a bit too slow. You got into a more fitting tempo afterwards, but then slowed down when these bars come back later. It's not for me to say this is wrong, though. Also, on measure 16, I think the third beat E on right hand should be slurred to next measure E octave higher. It sounds a little choppy the way you played it. However, I see in my score that there is not a slur when this same thing comes in again. Don't know if these are Chopin's markings or not, but it sounds better with the slurs. Nice, relaxed overall sound.

3. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Hippenmeyer is no longer a pianist of Piano Society and we just forgot to take down the link. Gone by now.

You do a really good job here but (as also Monica says) the introduction is played too slow for my taste. Chopin's tempo markings should not be taken literally but rather as a "state of mind" for the piece. He stopped making metronome marks after Op.27 which complicates the choice of tempo. One extreme example of a Tempo mark which does not fit the metronome marks is the Mazurka of op.17 no.4. Marked Lento, ma non troppo, b=152.

You playing is graceful and with a liberal use of rubato which fits this clam and thoughtful waltz. I have put it up on the site.

4. harald

harald Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Vetter
    First Name:
    Harald
    Perhaps I was dreaming while playing... ;-)

I agree. With a slur it would be smoother and fit the character. It seems that in my edition they use slurs very sparingly again.

also @robert: thanks for taking the time to listen and to comment!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

>
    I missed this beautiful a-minor Waltz on the site. A very calm one.

Happy choice of the tempo at the beginning. A little rigid for my taste after this very very good beginning. But you seem to prefer a "section after section" choice of time, instead of a more
    various rubato internat to each section. Very pleasurable playing, IMHO.

All best,
    Sandro

6. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Chopin

One of my favorite Chopin waltzes. My only criticism is the same as the others. The beginning is too slow for me. The beat for the Lento is the first beat of each measure, not each quarter notes. The suggested tempo in my "edited" score is Met. 50 per dotted half note. Other than that, your performance was very well done. Congrats!