Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chopin - Trois Nouvelles Etude no. 2 in A-flat Major

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Affinity

Affinity Member

Just listened to the piece for the first time, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Your playing is very warm and you bring out the counter melodies very well (if I didn't imagine them!). You might as well record the first one as well to make the set.

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, Jonathan! Yes, I plan on learning the first one too one of these days.... :)

3. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Very nice, Monica. The only thing I felt was missing was a sense of fantasy: it sounds correct, but a bit literal (compare Rubinstein, for example). A matter of taste perhaps; I'd play with more rubato and probably get roundly excoriated for it :) Re the bottom Eb, I think it was a bit "growly" but not actually out of tune: I listened to the opening one four or five times.

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, Andrew! I don't think that bottom E-flat is such a big deal, either. I do LOVE growly low notes! 8)

5. musicrecovery

musicrecovery Member Piano Society Artist

Special Ed/Music Teacher NYC (Retired)
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Rochelle
    First Name:
    Kaila
    Hi Monica,

Happy belated birthday. Your interpetation of this Chopin etude has a waltz like flair to it, very nice.

Kaila

6. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi Kaila, and thank you! These trips around the sun seem to be going faster and faster.... :)

7. wiser_guy

wiser_guy Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    Monica, you were born on February 1st? That's a coincidence! I was also born on this day, actually I was born on January 31st late at night but got registered on February 1st. The sad thing, at least for me, is my birth year which being so long ago constantly reminds me that I can't be considered young anymore.

Anyway, you found a really cool way to celebrate your birthday. I loved the etude. Totally agree with your straight playing on this.

8. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi and thank you, Pantelis. Always nice to see you! :)
    That's cool we have the same birthday! (I'm probably older than you think, but let's not think about that.... :lol: ). I learned recently that the actor Clark Gable also has this same birthday. Do you know of him? His most famous role was in the movie "Gone With the Wind".

p.s. Would be nice if you'd make some new recordings for us. Are you still playing much piano?

9. wiser_guy

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    Well I have figured an empirical way to determine whether you have become old. Are the photographs from your christening in black and white? Unfortunately mine are. And I would bet yours are in colour (never mind, don't reply to this :D ).
    It's always nice to see that you keep playing and recording. By the way, your Schumann on another post was fabulous. Of course I still play but I've been busy with jazz repertoire until fairly recently. I hope soon I'll get some time to record for PS. Anyway, I enjoy listening to your pieces and I keep visiting PS to hear others play even if I don't submit my music or comments.

10. luissarro

luissarro New Member

Home Page:
    I wish I was born on February 29th. So then I would be 4 times younger. :p

11. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    You're sweet, Pantelis. :) And that's good news about you hoping to get some time to record soon! Do you still have those two fabulous pianos?

12. wiser_guy

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    The pianos are ok since you ask, but I am extremely frustrated for another reason. I had prepared some demo recordings with different microphones and placements as well as some photos to give an idea of how these things affect the final result. Alas, I relied on a USB stick and saved them there instead of the laptop's drive. The stick died and all the audio is gone! Tragic.
    I promise you though I'll redo the whole project and submit it in the resources section. I am left with only the photos, here are two of them as an example.

13. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh, I'm sorry about what happened! Darn technology sometimes!
    But thanks for the photos - I'm glad to see both pianos! May I please come over and play them? Or better yet, may I come over and play some four-hand music with you? :)

14. wiser_guy

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    Monica, I'm sure we had this discussion in the past. The invitation is open. If you happen to visit Athens, I would be more than glad to see you.

15. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I'm really 90 years old--my memory is slipping. :wink:

And likewise if you ever come to Chicago. :)