DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2017-12-31
$ 1,000
So far donated
$ 1,045
Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2016.
A big thank you to Project Petrucci who has helped us already meet our 2017 goal!

Chopin, Scherzo op. 20 No 1 in B Minor

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Vladimir Oppenheim, Sep 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Vladimir Oppenheim

Vladimir Oppenheim Member Piano Society Artist

Concert Pianist, Teacher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Oppenheim
    First Name:
    Vladimir
    Youtube:
    https://soundcloud.com/vladimiroppenheim
    I plaid this scherzo a while ago, but felt a need to revisit the piece. Highly intense and impetuous first part of the piece flows into tranquility and calm of a second. Facing those opposite extremes of emotions is challenging. It seems to me that not getting "overexcited" by each of those moods can be a key to a more succsessful performance. As in many other pieces, choice of tempo is very important.

Thanks for listening,
    Vladimir

Attached Files:

2. GiulioPotenza

GiulioPotenza Italian pianist in London

Last Name:
    Potenza
    First Name:
    Giulio
    Good job! I love this Scherzo!

Did you choose that tempo inspired by Rubinstein (see this link)?

I think it makes the piece sound more fluent.
    I must confess I prefer more rubato in the central section, but it's a matter of tastes here.
    Did you know that theme comes from this traditional polish Christmas choir song (at this link)?
    Hearing and playing that piece makes me imagine Chopin in a church as a young man (maybe before leaving Poland forever?), centuries ago...

The second chord of the opening has a sudden cut (not sure if it's the recording), I think should resonate a fade away a bit more smoothly.
    The first section notes are very clear, you could write them down just listening. I can only say they may be somehow uneven (in tempo) sometimes.
    I surely prefer note clearness to many other blurry performances.

The central part has the same issue as the opening chord, so sometimes phrases are suddenly cut and don't resonate enough (is it the recording again)?

Anyway, small details... overall a very good job, thanks for sharing!

3. Vladimir Oppenheim

Vladimir Oppenheim Member Piano Society Artist

Concert Pianist, Teacher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Oppenheim
    First Name:
    Vladimir
    Youtube:
    https://soundcloud.com/vladimiroppenheim
    Thanks, Giulio!
    Love this piece too. I heard Rubinstein's playing after doing my own recording, so the resemblance in tempo is coincidental. The recording's of Richter & Horowitz I liked more, however.
    I didn't know that a slow section comes from Christmas coral,- just heard it now! Richter, for example plays it very slow, but it works, because he is Richter :) Horowitz creates a demonic effect in the first section, while in the lyrical part piano sings,- stunning performance! I was trying to create ( in the middle section) a continuous flow with distinct voices. Agree, elasticity and flexibility of a musical line would be appropriate here. I think that somewhat abrupt endings of chords occurred due to my attempt to remove extraneous noise or hiss,- I should have done it more accurately.
    Kind regards!