Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chopin Prelude Op. 28, No. 20 Largo

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Syeles, Nov 1, 2008.

?

E natural or E flat? (C major or C Minor?)

1. E natural (C major )

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. E flat (C Minor)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Syeles

Syeles New Member

retired
    Lucky guy. Avoid Kenny G if you can. Stay out of elevators. His syrupy soprano sax could kill you or at least put you into a dopey sleep faster than an overdose of double chocolate butterscotch pancakes.
    Granted Celine can punch out those high notes, but at least she keeps you awake. 8)

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ahaaaaa... thanks for the warning. I'll opt for the pancakes should I ever get the choice.
    Bygod, does she ever. It would be impossible to sleep for hours afterwards, with ears ringing and a splitting headache. Be lucky not to suffer permanent brain damage.....

3. Syeles

Syeles New Member

retired
    UPDATE: Thanks to good feedback from several members, I have reworked my performance a little. I have attempted to eliminate or reduce most, but not all, of my "hesitations". The feeling is quite different for me, but this is still no marche funebre. More of a death scene. However, my liberal interpretaion of the dynamics is approximately the same as before. I hope you like this a little better. The attachement is new 7-Nov-2008.

4. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oops, just replied to your PM without knowing you had submitted a new version.

Let me belatedly say that the original version was of course good enough, even if some members like myself did not like it. If something is technically sound and artistically plausible, we don't let personal taste stand in the way (or well, erm... at least we try not to :wink: ).

So, you have the choice which of the two versions you want up.

5. Syeles

Syeles New Member

retired
    Chris,
    I appreciated the good advice the members gave me. The specific objection to my hesitations was most frequent and most telling and gave me the motivation to try yet another variation -one that I may not have thought of on my own. I found that experience quite enjoyable. So let's go with the second attempt. Hopefully that won't grate on as many sensibilities. :)

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    It sounds less mannered than before, I grant you that. I still take issue with (what I feel are) your inconsistent tempi, but I understand that in Chopin, anything is possible and allowed. Unusual, it certainly is. And as many people like an unusual approach, this is probably a valuable addition to the site.

I was about to put your recording on the site when I remembered that we no longer add a pianist on the basis of one single recording, especially if it is as short a piece as this. We'll need some more evidence of your pianism (also because your own compositions are not played but rendered), and I have to ask you submit at least two more significant recordings. This is nothing personal, and does not have anything to do with the quality of this recording. It is just current SOP, as Monica will agree.

7. Syeles

Syeles New Member

retired
    Fair enough. I'll think about what to polish up.

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oops AGAIN..... :roll: As Monica just pointed out to me, you are already a pianist on the site. So forget what I just said. The prelude can go up.

9. Syeles

Syeles New Member

retired
    Great. I'm working on one anyway, one of Frederico Mompou's "Canciones Y Danzas". I'm very rusty on it, so now I can take my time and do it more justice. I see Monica has posted them all - and beautifully done. Mompu is one of my favorites. I wish I could play them all too.

10. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, Albert. I still love the Canciones Y Danzas. They are not all that easy, though. Which one are you working on? And do you have a favorite?

I've sort of started Mompou's Impressiones Intimas. Have to get through some other things first, but they don't seem as hard as the Canciones Y Danzas.

I'll try to get your Chopin prelude up later tonight. My internet is acting up right now.

11. Syeles

Syeles New Member

retired
    Hey Monica,

I am very happy we share this love of Mompou. He creates such rich sonorities with mimimal effort. Its a joy to hear what harmonies a just few fingers can produce on the keyboard. The best of Debussy and Satie. And SO sad - which appeals to my Magyar side.

My favorites of the C&D have always been Nos. 5, 1 and 6. But I only ever attempted to learn No. 5 and that was harder than I expected. His fingering is not intuitive to me. I am now trying to re-learn it and struggling like a beginner, but with the knowledge that it will be wonderful to play well again. Still, being compulsive, it may take me a while. I have already picked up a few inflections from you.

I downloaded your impresive recordings of these three. Bravo! I look forward to hearing you on Impressiones Intimas.

12. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Yes - no. 5 is harder than it sounds/looks. But I felt that way with all of them. The fingering, the chords, the way the melody line weaves in and out of both hands, the phrasing - all pretty difficult. But you're right about his harmonies. They are sometimes quirky but also lush and sensuous. I look forward to hearing your Mompou too!

Your Chopin prelude is now up on the site. I do like this second version better, but if you ever decide to work on it some more, perhaps you can try to play more legato going from chord to chord in each measure. Also, I'm not sure if this is intentional, but your tempo in bar 4 is quite a bit faster than in all other bars. This is also a bar where you hesitate and hold the last chord for a long time too.

I'm really glad to hear that e-natural, though! :lol:

13. Syeles

Syeles New Member

retired
    Excellent critique. Thank you. I actually deliberately lifted my foot off the sustain pedal early in several places. Its a variation I've been playing with lately. Perhaps I did it a little much, like my earlier version's hesitations. Before that, I was really heavy on the pedal, sometimes through several beats - to get some interesting dissonance - but I grew tired of that. The tempo quark in bar 4 was also a concious experiment. Just felt good at the time. I'll let you know if I find a new variation that I like better (at the time :wink: )

So which of Mompou's works are your favorites. I'll take any number of your recommendations and give them a good re-listen. It's always nice to hear something agian with a new perspective.

14. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Well, I only know the Canciones Y Danzas. My favorite one of them....hmmm....that's hard. No. 1 has that sexy sound I like, no.3 is filled with many fun different parts, no. 7 is filled with a lot of big, juicy chords, and now I think it is no. 8 that is my favorite. For one thing, there are not many repeated parts. The first part is so sad and melancholy -you really get to pour your heart out, but then the tears dry up right when you start the second part which is pure joy and happiness. It's a great piece.

15. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I have always had a soft spot for the Pessebres, which I recorded some years ago. I think they sound particularly quaint and rural. I love in particular the fraught atmosphere of L'Ermita. But any Mompou is great, of course.

16. Syeles

Syeles New Member

retired
    Oh yes! Canzion No. 8 may be one of the most poignant. And Danza 7 (along with parts of No 3) some of the most filled with childlike content.

Most of Mompou's melodies are so universally fundamental that I think of them as familiar as warhorses or hit songs. I can't remember not knowing them.

17. Syeles

Syeles New Member

retired
    Chris,
    I just downloaded your rendition of Pessebres. Just lovely.

18. epf

epf New Member

Author/Computer Geek
    I have searched through my collection of music, and quickly found four versions of this prelude. In three of the versions the editor has marked it as a C major (that is, an E natural). One of these was "corrected" by my father based upon information he received from his teacher that this should be an Eb -- the E natural was indicated in the version by Schirmer (1930) and the Carl Fischer version edited by Maxwell Eckstein (1943). I have an Amsco edition that shows an E natural and a version that I can't find a publisher for that shows an Eb. Playing through them it seems that both work. I do have an edition of Chopin music that has the same citation Monica mentioned -- the the flat was added by Chopin for one of his students (not named) and that the autograph does not reflect the flat.

Ed

19. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Albert. I recorded these on a whim, they're very easy, but I am still peeved by two stupid mistakes and an offensive page turn, in the first one. Apart from that they came out well I think. Not sure if this is vintage Mompou, you rarely hear them, but I think they are special.

20. Syeles

Syeles New Member

retired
    Thanks again for the Pessebres. Indeed, unlike the Canziones Y Danzes, I did not have other recordings of these.

I know what you mean. I can listen to recordings I made years ago and feel an impulse to fix or improve items - especially on my compositions. I've re-recorded and sereptitiously uploaded new versions, long after anyone else has stopped listening. They say, at some point one has to let it go... but can one.

Anyway take comfort at least, that I only noticed one unexpected note (though I'm not sure it was wrong - its Momopou, after all) and enjoyed your performance thoroughly.