Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chopin: Op. 28, No. 15

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by John Robson, Dec 8, 2008.

1. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    I usually try to post works that are not already on the site, but I ask for your indulgence. It's my birthday. I made several recordings of this and couldn't decide which was best or, should I say, not as bad as the others. This is the one I made today. I fear there may be a couple of "raindrops that evaporated into thin air" (Damned unsounded notes!).

Chopin: Op. 28, No. 15, Prelude in Db Major (Raindrop)

I'm ashamed to admit this, but I kept feeling like I was going to play "There she is, Miss America" every time I played the first three notes of the main theme. :oops: I guess it's like thinking of "The Lone Ranger" every time you hear the William Tell Overture. (Excuse me for those of you across the pond if these things are unfamiliar to you.)

Chopin - Prelude in D-flat Major Op. 28, No. 15 "Raindrop"

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Happy Birthday, John!

(I've no time to listen now, sorry. Hopefully later tonight or else tomorrow. But one thing for sure is that now I will never be able to listen to this piece again without thinking of Miss America :x )

3. John Robson

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Miss America

You know, Monica, they say that's a symptom of a lack of culture----the Lone Ranger thing and probably the Miss America thing. I don't care. It almost made me laugh sometimes while I was playing it. :)

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, since it's your birthday, I hurried up and got to your recording. Yes, there are a few inaudible notes, but overall it is very nice. I think your style is right on.

I also made you a little birthday present. You have to go to the General forum and go to the thread called 'seasons greetings'. On the first post go to the link right after where it says "happy birthday, John". You don't have to download anything - just click and it plays.

5. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi John,

First, Happy Birthday to you! And many happy returns.

I think in this "Raindrop Prelude" you captured the mood of the music exceptionally well. I very much enjoyed listening to your thoughtful and expressive rendition. Wonderful playing!

On "There she goes, Miss America", there are those really odd motifs that crop up in the classical piano literature. When I was studying Liszt's Sonetto 123 del Patraca from the Annees de Pelerinage (Italie), I noticed something startling: Following the lovely introduction, the main theme enters after a pause, and it is... the ditty "How dry I am!" from the old diaper commercial that ran on TV many years ago! :lol:

David

6. John Robson

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Chopin

Thanks for listening. Monica, I'm going to check out the "little present" presently. Thanks again for all of the work you do for us. :)

Rachfan, you reminded me that when I was young Leonard Bernstein did a television program on pieces of classical music which begin with the theme "How Dry I Am." It's amazing how many pieces there are that use that motif.

I noticed my piano is a little out of tune (Chris) so I'm having it tuned as I sit here. I hope it sounds better. I probably should have waited until it was tuned to record this Prelude.

7. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi John,

As a kid I always watched those Bernstein TV programs! I recall one where he was conducting, walked off the podium, and the orchestra kept right on playing perfectly without missing a beat. Then he did some interesting audience education on the role of the conductor. His lecture/music presentations were always fascinating. He was quite young back then too. Reminds me of seeing Andre Previn as a very young man in his spot appearances on the Steve Allen Show playing some improvisatory jazz on several occasions. Who would ever have guessed that he would later become artistic director of the London Symphony? Back in those days we only had three or four channels on black and white TV-- the three major networks and the public broadcasting channel, but it seems surprising now how memorable some of that programming was as compared to today's cable offerings of 80 channels of wasteland.

David

8. John Robson

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Bernstein

Careful, David, you'll give away your age. :lol: Those days almost bring tears to my eyes. Bernstein was a national treasure and most people don't realize what a great service he did for classical music. I believe I watched all of his Specials on television. My mother even bought me a book he wrote explaing the subjects he discussed on those programs. Later I was lucky enough to take some students to a concert which he conducted, and he was kind enough to let us come back and say hello and several student got autographs. I also met him once in Key West though we won't go into that here.

9. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi John,

Yes, the age thing.... :roll: I try to ignore my birthdays now, but my wife won't let me. At least we have a great caterer in town who makes terrific birthday cakes.

I got to see Bernstein conduct the Boston Symphony Orchestra at the Tanglewood Music Festival a couple of times. His protege then was Michael Tilson Thomas who today also enjoys a big career in conducting. Bernstein was definitely one of the great symphonic conductors of his time.

David

10. Sandro Bisotti

Sandro Bisotti New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bisotti
    First Name:
    Sandro
    Really well played, and it's a pleasure to hear this. And let's not become crazy for the "evaporated" notes; often to avoid them one play too loud, and this is worse.
    All the best Jphn,
    Sandro

11. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    John - check pm's

12. John Robson

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    M. T. Thomas

David,

I had forgotten that M. T. Thomas was Bernstein's protege. I see him here in Miami once in a while as he is conductor/music director of the New World Symphony. His performances are always quite energetic, but musical. He's one of my favorites in this country.

13. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    John Robson wrote:
    When I hear the "William Tell Ouverture" I´m always thinking of "Bonanza", which I find to be much more entertaining. :lol:

I congratulate you to this very nice performance, which I enjoyed a lot. Very good eveness (not mechanical, but very musical) and dynamics. Very sensitive playing.