Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chopin - Nocturnes Op. 9 No. 1 and 2

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by harald, Jul 29, 2008.

1. harald

harald Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Vetter
    First Name:
    Harald
    Yes, I know we already have many recordings of this two pieces on the site. But I really love especially the no. 1. I played it over a very long time until I recorded it in 11/2007. Four recordings were necessary until I was satisfied with the result. And I enjoy to play it again from time to time.

I hope you like them both. No. 2 was recorded in february 2008.

Chopin - Nocturne Op. 9, No. 1 in B-flat minor

Chopin - Nocturne Op. 9, No. 2 in E-flat Major

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi again, Harald

You certainly were not kidding when you said you were going to put up more of my favorite composer!

I have put up both nocturnes. The op. 9 no. 1 is played very well. I liked your tasteful rubato and your long RH runs were perfect. One tiny little thing is that I wished for more dynamics. I can hear that you are coming down harder on the forte parts, but they are not coming out much louder on my speakers. Maybe it’s just me.

The op.9 no. 2 has just two little things. The turn on bar 2 should be C-E flat-C-B natural-C. Also at bar 15, the LH 8th eighth notes, top note should be an E flat. This is probably just a slip because you played it correctly later on. Everything else is fine, but you know how it is…everybody knows every note of this one, so the little slips are very obvious. Like I said, I’ve put it up on the site because your playing is good. You can always replace it if you want to fix up those two spots.

3. harald

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Vetter
    First Name:
    Harald
    Else you would have been disappointed ;-)

Thank you! I'm glad to hear that from our chopin professional!

I think that there are two reasons. First my playing could have more dynamics in general. I realize that often when listening to other recordings. Second I can adjust the dynamic range in my software. It can be up to 60db, but I set it to 50db because the pp sounded a bit artificial to me when having 60db. I'll check that again in future recordings.

OK, I found the place. I think I played that wrong from the beginning of my practice. I marked it red in my score...

I would say that only a skillfull person knows every note. I haven't played that piece in front of a skillfull person before. Therefore I'm very thankfull for your detailed hints!

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Not true, but flattery will get you pretty far with me! :lol:

I have had problems bringing out my dynamics too. Sometimes, I swear that it is not a problem with me, but with my recording set up. But of course that is mostly a cheap excuse, and it really is my problem. I forgot, do you play on an acoustic or a digital piano? And what you said about 50 or 60 db – does that mean that you simply adjust the whole volume of your recording down to 50 db? (If that’s not right, and it’s much more technical than that, don’t bother explaining it to me because I won’t get it.)

5. harald

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Vetter
    First Name:
    Harald
    But worth a try :wink:

Digital, but in combination with a software. My pre-2006-recordings (not on PianoSociety) were made with the original yamaha sound, but the (software-)Steinway sounds much better.

No, it's the range from pp to ff. E. g. when setting it to 1db, pp and ff would have the same volume level (with pp- and ff-sound).

Too late... And again worth a try :wink:

6. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Did anyone tell you that you are a bit of a flirt? I like that! :lol:

See? That went right over my head. How can pp and ff sound the same? Wait – don’t explain it - you’ll only confuse me more. Can we talk about something else now…like…cooking? I know about that. :lol:

7. harald

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Vetter
    First Name:
    Harald
    Oh, and from now on I'll be quiet. Too dangerous.

I could make some sample files sometime.

I think the admins will throw us out. Hey - you belong to that team...

8. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    You're right. I never flirt. :wink:

That's ok. I use WavePad for my editing program and I think it has all that kind of 'db' stuff on it, but I don't have time to figure it out. Do you know another member here, Didier? He's German too and knows a lot about sound stuff, microphones, etc... You two ought to get together.