Thank you to all those who donated in 2015!

DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 595

Chopin - Nocturne Op.9 No.2

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by noambenhamou, Dec 25, 2013.

1. noambenhamou

noambenhamou New Member

self
    Home Page:
    http://www.henselt.org
    New here :)

One more, also recently recorded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD5t1IYvRws&hd=1

I'm very excited to be part of this forum. Seems to be a little more "tight knit" than the other ones out there :)

Next will be Chopin Etude Op.25 No.1 I think. Have to work out some details first haha

Noam

2. Didier

Didier Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Nice interpretation ! Possibly a bit too polished ? I think that it could have more character...
    Very nice Steinway sound ! However I am a bit disturbed by the lows sounding on left and the highs on right like in jazz piano recordings, which is the audio perspective from the player while I am so used to the inverse stereo image in classical piano recordings, which is the perspective from the audience.

3. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member

Software Developer
    Yes, very good. I listened to the YT video, through speakers which are close together over my head (shortage of real estate), and did not notice the left-right issue. (It's not likely that I would, given the arrangement of the speakers.)

The return to 'a tempo' for the last few bars did not bother me, but it might feel a bit fast to some listeners.

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi again, Noam.

I agree with the others...this is very nice! Your piano sounds great. I'm not crazy about how fast you played the very last few bars. It sort of brought me out of the soothing and relaxing mood I was in. Oh well, opinions about interpretation are...well....just opinions...haha. I thought everything else was great! :)

5. noambenhamou

noambenhamou New Member

self
    Home Page:
    http://www.henselt.org
    I played the last couple of measures too fast in purpose to see if anyone would notice. You guys pasted the test. Hahaha just kidding.

But yeah, I have a bad tendency to rush pieces that are slow in tempo and that I have heard a million times. Especially if there are no change in chord progression.
    thanks for this input because you guys are 100% correct that I shattered the mood I created by going back to the original tempo, or even maybe faster!

I'll try to re upload tomorrow and input the meta data. File name was ok though?

Didier , I am very new to recording. The only thing I have going for me is good piano and good microphones. My room acoustics are not very good so I find I get better sound recording closer. About 3-4 feet from the piano. My microphones are about 3 feet apart because I was thinking one for base one for treble. My thinking is wrong isn't it? Should I place them closer together?
    Noam

6. troglodyte

troglodyte Member Piano Society Artist

Professor
    Last Name:
    Parrow
    First Name:
    Joachim
    Nice sound and an interesting interpretation with lots of dynamics - for myself I find the fortes a bit overdone, as if trying to squeeze in more drama than the piece intends, but there is clearly a coherent approach here! Well done. Apart from the obvious rush in the final bars I would comment that some of the downbeats are a bit late, breaking the long phrases.

Welcome! Yes this is a kind of special place. I hope you will also contribute by listening and commenting on efforts by other members.

Joachim

7. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I wish we had a 'like' button!!!

Yes, the file name is correct. The other tags are incorrect, but we can get to that later (if you intend to become a member?).

8. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Very fine playing indeed. Had the closing bars not been so brisk and matter-of-factly it would have been even better.

Yes it is. IMO that is both its strength and weakness. You need to realize that PS is not just a (moderated) forum but also a website hosting recordings, so we need to be rather more critical than on other forums where recordings are just being posted but not published.

9. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    The stereo image in the classical piano recording convention is rather narrow, which implies that the microphones are much closer together than in your setting. A typical microphone setting is shown by the attached picture (used by Deutsche Grammophon for instance in Hélène Grimaud album Resonances, see here at 1'19"). But it may be wider when the sound engineer is from the "new world" than when he is from the old Europa. :wink:

10. hreichgott

hreichgott New Member

That looks similar to the close mics used by the engineer at the studio where I record the expensive projects :)

He also uses a pair of mics farther away, and one in the hall for reverb.

11. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    The attached picture and the listening of this album make obvious that, if there is any other microphones, these ones are the main pair. Anyway, for avoiding small room sound typical in home recording, I put my microphones very close to the piano rim and I add digital reverberation.