Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chopin Nocturne Op. 15, no. 2

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

>Thanks for the advice, Sandro (Coach Sandro :) )

:) Sorry for the not requested advice. But it's because I'm working hardly with videos in this
    period, as you can see on the link below.

> One - I am not as nervous now when I'm recording with only the Edirol (mp3's).

I too am less anxious when I record only audio (now it's rare). In my case it's because the audio
    editing is much more easy than video....I find to play less relaxed at the end of a video recording for the fear to begin again in case of error. I've now read about the possibility of holding ever on
    the camcorder; I think this really is the better choice (when one try to play and not when studying,
    surely). One must maintain separated the two concepts/situations: 1) camcorder on 2) the choice to capture, edit, upload, make the recoding "official". If the motivation to create videos is strong, this technique of camcorder ever ON is the winning one: one or stop with anxiety or stop with playing.
    And we have no doubts that in our cases we will stop with anxiety....

>Two - I think videotaping is good practice for me to get over some of my performance anxiety.

This is sure. To tell himself "now camcorder on, one possibility to play the piece, let's go" it's the
    same as a public concert. But it's no easy, and I prefer the technique of "camcorder ever on".

>Also, I think it will be better to videotape when the piece is memorized.

Monica, here my idea is that to play without score is ever better. Many more freedom for
    movements and more "eyes to the hands". Here the problem is not the camcorder, IMHO.
    One must have the time and the strenght (I have not :( :( :( ) to play all without score....
    But here we enter in pro field; an amateur as me must choice if playing hours of music with score
    or minutes without score, and I made my choice...
    "mode coach not requested on" Congratulations for your work and your reflections about it.
    More the camcorder is on while we play, more we'll play well while the camcorder is on.
    "mode coach not requested off" :)
    All best,
    Sandro

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Wow, Sandro - you do have a lot of videos! I'm sure it took you a lot of time to figure out where to place the camera, what lights to use, and all that. I'm still figuring out those things.

But I can't have a camera on all the time because it takes time to 'get myself' ready. Men always have it so easy. I normally record myself while still in my pj's or gym shorts with my hair in a pony tail. But with a camcorder, I have to do my hair, figure out what to wear, put on some lipstick, etc.... So for me, video taping is quite a production! (not to mention after videotaping - the computer part).

You're right, though, about it helping to get over anxiety, and I'll probably do it more often just for that reason (but not show the videos to anybody.)

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

>Wow, Sandro - you do have a lot of videos! I'm sure it took you a lot of time to figure out where to place the camera, what lights to use, and all that. I'm still figuring out those things.

The only things I care are the position of mics and an image/lights more possible clear but not cold.
    But you are 1) woman 2) more pretty than me, and it's natural that you care also other aspects... :)
    Only a technical detail. When placing lights, pay attention to avoid shadows on the keyboard.
    All best,
    Sandro

4. johnmar78

johnmar78 New Member Piano Society Artist

Food chemist / pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Mar
    First Name:
    John
    Monica,,,,,cracky...I just discorvered its an video file. well played. and add few candle lights creates a more romantic atomshere for chopin music-great.

I can see, the most difficult passage you played from memory..I think so too.

Yes, I did see your claw hands towards the ending...I think, thats your body languange telling "us" wait on..I am almost finished now...wait.... and the smile at end is telling us "I have done it" :lol:

To kill the nervousness in Video during the recording, is put the vcam on all time during your practice, especially the long session ones. I do at 80%.

Pitty we cannt see your footwork?

By the way, do you mind to ask you, what cam do you use? is it a dv cam (tape)or dvd (cd cam)cam or hdcam(hard drive).

Cheers

5. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Yes, pianolady and sandro, I think, to make videos is really the best way to improve oneself.
    For me it´s much more difficult, because I think, it´s more difficult to cut/edit the record, so you have to play the whole piece correctly in one take and this is really the best exercise one can imagine.
    Do you know any possibility to cut or edit videos as exactly as wave-files?

And Sandro: I looked at your videos on Youtube. They are really great and you play very musically (expressively). :D

6. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thanks John, cracky! (hehehe - I don't know what that means, but it sounds funny)

I have the whole thing memorized now, and I just bought some more candles today. I'm going to re-video record this tomorrow. And I'm going to try very hard not to make that silly claw hand.

But then I have to wear shoes. :lol:

Regarding my camera - it is a hard-drive camera. You can record on the hard drive or a memory card.

Musicusblau - you're right about that. You have to play all the way through. I don't know how to edit videos. I don't think you can.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

>For me it´s much more difficult, because I think, it´s more difficult to cut/edit the record,

This is a ploblem for all of us. But let's consider that 1) you (as me) doesn't seem the fanatic
    of absolute precision. In the sense that you (I think the same of me) know that if there are certain values one can accept a certain amount of mistakes 2) the mistakes "weight" less in video than
    in only-audio files. Really different weights; I have a few ideas regard this, and it's an interesting
    question. I'm spaking of the missed note, or the distraction error, not of to play with poor technique
    from the beginning to the end. In the same recording let's consider a missed note because one try
    to play pppp: in only audio is very worse than in video.

>Do you know any possibility to cut or edit videos as exactly as wave-files?

I speak of my very modest and recent (a few months) experience.
    At the level of "user-friendlyness" and precision of an audio editor (I use nero wave editor) I think of no.
    I use Pinnacle Studio plus for video editing, and some links are possible. Surely in the points
    where there are pauses of al least 1/4-1/2 second (in my videos see for example Rameau - with dissolvence effects, or Chopin 26-2, or Scarlatti k545). More difficult, but not impossible, is
    to "cut and link" where there are nor pauses: I had fortune with Chopin 48-1.
    In all these cases one must change the image (and/or the position of camcorder) from the first to the second fragment one will link.
    A link edit conserving the same image (video shot) is (IMHO, I repeat) too much difficult, more easy if you link images of different camcorder point of views.

> And Sandro: I looked at your videos on Youtube. They are really great and you play very musically (expressively).

Piano can be played in many manners......mine is an option among thousands.
    But the option that make me happy, and it's sufficient for me :)
    You are well situated in freedom and good taste at the piano (one can recognize this hearing
    your files), and I sincerely reciprocate the congratulations.

All best,
    Sandro

P.S.
    contact me freely for any technologic question

8. harald

harald Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Vetter
    First Name:
    Harald
    Dear pianolady,

I think that this is a very nice recording!

Did you think about using your mp3 as the audio track of your videos in the future? The quality seems to be better.

Many greetings,

Harald

9. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, Herald.

I don't know how to do that. Is it just a matter of running my Edirol recorder at the same time as the camera? And then I wouldn't know how to make the mp3 sound play on the video file. It may be too complicated for me. Unless there is a program that does all of that automatically?

10. harald

harald Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Vetter
    First Name:
    Harald
    I haven't done this yet but I would start the audio recording first, then the video and cut those few seconds out of the audio track later. Merging together is possible e. g. with this program: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avidemux
    Anyway it's more work.

11. MindenBlues

MindenBlues New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    Monika, I very much enjoyed listening to your Chopin Nocturne, and also to watch yourself playing. You really care for playing note correct and your tone is never weak, also not in your left hand. That is really great! Your body posture is also ideal upright (I hang often much too slouchy around...).

You seem to have memorized the piece almost completely. There were some spots where I thought, you have a bit lost the momentum, as you looked into the score. Anyhow, as a listener not only while videorecording, also in real life if there are friends, and you play for them, I do find it however cooler and also musically seen better, if you play completely from memory. By the way, I do like the synonym "playing by heart" - do you say so for playing from memory? We don' t have a german translation for that "playing by heart", unfortunately, because I think that "playing by heart" says more. Another advantage is, without score one can clap down the music stand - the sound is much more direct for the player. If I am not 100% sure, I leave the score on the music stand, clapped down. One can see the notes that way too, but has a better sound. Even better is, to remove the music stand completely. One really has the best sound this way, the bass comes out stronger for itself (for the listener on the side it is probably don't care). But what cares the most is how it sounds to us and not for the listener, isn't it so?

Yes, it is difficult to stay relaxed while audiorecording or while videorecording. But I believe it is a good school to reduce anxiety especially if it comes to a real audition with people watching you live (anxiety is something I suffer too from).

12. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Harald - thanks for the link. I'll look into next time I make a video. It took me almost two days to figure out how to get the video from my camera - onto the computer- edit it- and put it on the site. So doing this other thing will probably take me a week to figure out. But I sort of like figuring things out - that is if I am successful at the end. :wink:

Olaf - Thanks for listening/watching. I did have the piece memorized and could play it without looking when the camera was not on. But as soon as I pressed the record button, that all changed. I tried and tried and finally gave up and put the music back up. It's like a security blanket I guess, and I did look at it a few times.

I have never moved the music stand off the piano except for when I have to remove flower pedals and pencils that have fallen inside. The piano already sounds pretty loud to me with the stand there, so I'm not sure about removing it to play something. I think I'll try it anyway just to see. But I know that I cannot lower the stand so that the music is flat down. I don't think I could see the music, since I'm short. (you tall people are so lucky)

And yes, we have the saying 'playing by heart". I never really thought differently about those words...heart instead of memory - like putting all your feeling into the music. I like that. However, I can't really say that without thinking something completely different, because my maiden name is Hart, so that's how I hear those words. But you are right - it looks cooler to play with no music up there. Next video... Which by the way, isn't it about time for you to make another one? :)

13. MindenBlues

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    Ok, I did not think over the problem for shorter pianists regarding not seeing the music if the music stand is flat down. Yes, if the grand lid is open, it is in my case also already pretty loud. But I think if one removes the stand completely (that is what almost all professionals do for a concert, I think!) one automatically plays slightly softer as "default" because otherwise it would be too loud. And that softer playing gives eventually more margin for dynamical playing (only my theory, I may be wrong).

Yes, I do plan to record the Berceuse from Chopin anytime in spring. It is already memorized, but there are really tricky passages for the right hand (for me) which still need more nurture and polishing. But after that is done I will try a video recording too, maybe also a video recording for organ playing, let's see.

14. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ooooh, the Berceuse. Such a pretty piece. And hard. That means it's pretty hard. :lol:

Wouldn't it be fun if for videos we dressed in period clothing as per when the piece was written? I know...probably a dumb idea and nobody but me would do it.

Still, I look forward to your video (and don't forget your white long-sleeved shirt, cravat, dark blue silk waistcoat with a nondescript pattern running throughout, tailored slacks - maybe in charcoal gray, black top coat, black boots and top hat. 8))

15. MindenBlues

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    Hehe, don't forget that the flower scattered walk to the piano must be videoed too, and after that the white gloves should be stripped, before the playing starts in candle light (like you do already). Also don't forget to play only in dynamic range between barely audible and pianissimo, only some highly emotional bars are allowed for a soft piano as upper dynamic range before it ends in a loudness where the hammers almost not reach the strings anymore ...

16. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the white gloves. Kind of sexy if you ask me. And the flower pedals scattered on the walk up to the piano...just make sure they are violets, Chopin's favorite flower.