Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chopin Nocturne Op. 15, no. 2

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Feb 1, 2008.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    This is a re-do. It was one of my earliest recordings that I posted on the site, and back then I didn’t really know how to work the settings on the recorder. Therefore, the sound quality was bad. I think this is better and maybe even played a little better, as well.

The video I have attached came about because I wondered if my camera would record with only candle light in the room and there was not a video shot in candlelight on the site. So I tried it. Well…I ended up having to use one lamp and put a lot of candles all around me. (I’m really lucky I didn’t start my hair on fire, again.) But….many, many times through the piece, and I never got a decent take. (You can see that the candles sitting on the piano are short – they were tall when I started.) I was so nervous knowing the camera was on – my fingers felt like they were caked in mud as they moved over some of the runs. So this is up here just for laughs. That is if you can even open it. I’m still kind of lost when it comes to these file endings and somehow ended up with two different kinds of files. I don't know which one I posted here.

Chopin - Op.15 no.2, Nocturne in F-sharp major
    Chopin - Op.15 no.2, Nocturne in F-sharp major VIDEO

2. Biggemski

Biggemski New Member

3. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    mmmmmm 8)

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thaaaaannnnnkssss. :lol:

And if you were lucky (maybe unlucky) enough to see my video, did you see my 'claw hand' at the end? :lol: :lol: I think it's so funny. I didn't even know I did weird things like that with my hands. Cracks me seeing that. Just another benefit to video taping oneself.

5. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Masterfully played! Both from a musical and technical aspect. Claw hand, nah, how would you positions the hand and fingers if not in that way? Hair on fire! That would go high on YouTube but I prefer it this way. I agree that videotaping oneself makes you nervous and you look kind of happy at the end :D.

The permission problem is something I replied on email for you but you did nothing wrong. Both the mp3 and video is up by now.

6. chopinman0901

chopinman0901 New Member

That sounded and looked wonderful! You have a real knack for playing Chopin.

All the nuances and small details of the nocturne were executed very well, and this was played very beautifully and expressively. I love what you did with the candle-lit room; it seems like you were playing during the time of Chopin. That and/or it gave the room a dreamy look, and it looked like it was night time with all of the candles.

Wonderful interpretation and great job! This inspired me to go play the same nocturne. I listened to it, played the nocturne, played a few more (How can you play just one Chopin piece and stop? It's impossible.), and ran right back to my computer to type this. Again, fabulous job!

7. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Robert - thank you. You're very sweet to take care of all my files here.

However, (you probably going to kill me now) I wasn't sure about putting the video on the main site because of all the mistakes. And that stupid hand-claw thing, which I don't mean the way I hold my hands, but there's a couple spots when I am so tense that my left hand makes this kind of tiger claw sign.

But that's ok. Leave the video up on the site, because it will now highly motivate me to make a new video next week and hopefully get a better take.

p.s. the mp3 on the link here and on the site is still my old recording. I've re-attached my new one again.

Chopin - Op.15 no.2, Nocturne in F-sharp minor

8. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Very nice record! I think, there exist also a bit faster versions of it, but, of course, this is a personal question.
    I enjoyed it very much and was delighted to see you on the video! All the candles cause "atmosphere".

9. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thanks chopinman and musicusblau. I like the candles too. I'll have to go buy some more, because I'm going to re-shoot this video next week.

During the time of Chopin...I like that. Maybe I'll put my Chopin bust on the piano for the next time.

10. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Hmm ... was anyone else's first thought: Where do you keep it the rest of the time?? *raised eyebrow* :shock:

11. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Chopin doesn't have a bust.

12. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    :D :!:

13. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Nocturne

This was another beautiful performance, both visually and aurally. I thoroughly enjoyed the video. I admit to worrying a little about having to call your local fire department. :lol: No. It was really a beautiful effect.

Now, can someone tell me why your videos open perfectly for me while most of the others don't. Is it because we use a different equipment in the US? I'm technologically challenged and don't understand any of this stuff. All I know is that your video plays just as easily for me as a Youtube video. :?

14. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    You mean I did something right? :lol:
    Beats me, John. I don't get this video stuff, either. I just do what my computer tells me.

Thanks so much for listening (watching).

15. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Monica, I laughed a lot when I read this.

This morning I woke up late and in a black mood and your video made me feel better. Now I'm going to listen to your Barber while having breakfast.

16. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    I'm excited, cause everyone at school's gone off for Mardi Gras, so the school internet actually works now it's not overloaded, and I can listen to music. :D

Very nice playing, Monica. That middle section is no joke, and I always found that the main theme was a little too boring to make it worth learning the middle section. :lol: Very rarely will I say something like that about anything Chopin wrote, but there it is...

17. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Don't know what got wrong there. The last attached recording is the one linked on the site. One thing that could cause problem for you locally is that your browser caches the old mp3-recording and play that instead of the new. Hold down shift when you press the link next time and see if there is a difference.

The video is not full of mistakes but some chromatics did not turn very well out (some notes not audible) but still I think it is very good. But if you do not wish it there, I'll take it down for sure.

You can probably upload videos the same way you upload an mp3-recording. Just try it out and see what happens.

When you replace recordings, it might not always work as you can for instance not overwrite anything I have put up so just notify me on a replacement and I will do it.

18. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thanks Terez and Alfonso. I'm glad to provide some comic relief to your morning. :)

Robert - That shift thing did not work, but I cleared my cache and now I do hear my newest recording. See? My computer really is possessed. And in case you don't already know this, you may want to check the server because I uploaded this file five or six times as I was battling with these demons. :wink:

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

> I was so nervous knowing the camera was on – my fingers felt like they were caked in mud as they moved over some of the runs. .....

But this is a good excercise. The video taking force us to play correctly (or about) for a long time.
    And then, more important : to play correctly (or about) for a long time + the necessary (IMHO) sense of funny (and/or of comunication, of lively speaking).
    I'm recording tons of video (on youtube are already 30 and I've now other 10), and the difficult
    to relax was mine too. But time after time after time, and without having the urgence to conclude
    the recording at any cost. In my case often the incredible happens : 20 takes and no way to record
    decently a simple piece, or a more difficult pieces well recorded at the first attempt.
    I repeat my suggest: take all the time and the funny. The music arrives when you'll forget the camcorder: and you'll see videos with the best Monica-as-a pianist you and we know.
    All best,
    Sandro

20. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thanks for the advice, Sandro (Coach Sandro :) ) With what you said, two things have happened since I video taped myself. One - I am not as nervous now when I'm recording with only the Edirol (mp3's).
    Two - I think videotaping is good practice for me to get over some of my performance anxiety.

Also, I think it will be better to videotape when the piece is memorized. Then there is less moving the head up and down. Plus if you look only at the keyboard, maybe you don't see the camera and so you are more relaxed (less nervous). (I'm hoping this is true, as I haven't tried it yet.)