Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chopin Nocturne in C# minor op. posth.

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Sandro Bisotti, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Sandro Bisotti

Sandro Bisotti New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bisotti
    First Name:
    Sandro
    Please substitute the old my version already here.
    I hope someone will appreciate. Nothing of particular, only here I do not play the variations at the "da capo". Happy of a few details and of the sound: often I feel the so desired (from me)
    sensation of "no attack" (no hammer action, but something as vocal or violin). In certain cases the
    "very little or no attack transient" is so perfect that the note is missed..........
    Thank you to all for attention, and all the best,
    Sandro

Chopin - Nocturne No.20 in C sharp minor. Op.Posth.

2. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Sandro,

This nocturne is played very beautifully, and your rendition is very moving. You bring out both the poetic and declamatory elements nicely. I very much liked your sense of phrasing and sensitivity to the mood of the piece. All the trills are well shaped, and are always in context with superb execution. You play with a heart-felt clarity of expression. Excellent!

Best regards,
    David

3. Didier

Didier Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Hi Sandro,

I like this tempo better than the so slow one of your previous recording. Your virtuosity in the trills and the 35 for 4 run at the end is magnificent. The mood is very expressive: I have the feeling of being at the opera. This is certainly a way for interpreting this piece; it is often said that Chopin made the piano singing like a diva. This mood is reinforced by the bright sound of your piano (closer to a Steinway from New York than to a Steinway from Hamburg :wink: ), and possibly also by the microphones: the K2 sound is hot! It is beautiful but I might prefer a more intimate approach

Kind regards,

Didier

PS On most on the scores for this nocturne that I looked at, there is the dynamic indication p or pp below the first chord. Not on your one?

4. Sandro Bisotti

Last Name:
    Bisotti
    First Name:
    Sandro
    Oh, so happy of your attention and of your kind words. No, here there is no dynamic indication for the beginning, so I play this "echo" effect. About the sound.....I decided to put the mics (a-b this time) in another room, near the room with the piano (open door :) , using always the omnidirectional polarity.
    Nothing special, as you can hear, but it seems the sound can breath a little more than the suffocating
    situation of the bad and violent reverberations of the small room of the piano.
    All the best,
    Sandro.

5. Sandro Bisotti

Last Name:
    Bisotti
    First Name:
    Sandro
    Thank you Rachfan, proud of your attention, and also more proud after listening again your
    "Vallee d'Obermann".
    Bye,
    Sandro

6. Didier

Didier Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Did you try small AB (20 cm or less, side by side), or XY in cardio, at close range (< 50 cm) from the piano rim, about 1.3 m height from the floor ? Then, the room reverberation should be covered by the direct sound (more in cardio than in omni) but you will need some processing (EQ and reverb).

7. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    I have replaced the old with this new.

I can hear some notes and legatos that is not equal to what I find in my score. Most different is that in my score (I know that this really differs between editions) is that but for the very last figuration in the last couple of bars, it is still in C-sharp minor while you play it in major. I was also surprised by the non piano chord in the beginning.

But performance-wise and musically, I like your new version much better than the slow old one. You play it with a wonderful touch and seemingly directly from your heart which I believe is very important in any Chopin nocturne. Very well done!

8. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Whatever that means, you sure missed the very last note in the RH. But that does not matter, as long as you have played it perfectly :p

What's with the A sharps in bars 33 and 37 ? I know my edition is unreliable but I'm sure these should be a naturals. Artistic liberty ?

Anyway, if this one is better than your previous version we will replace it. Personally I would have fixed that last note. I'm sure Chopin intended it to be heard, even though it's marked ppp (but so are the preceding notes).

9. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Bravo, Sandro, to this very expressive and musical performance. I see you played the transcription-version (20a). In summer I´ll play this version, too, in a concert. For this site I recently recorded the manuscript-version (20b), which is not played so often. I think, in bar 35 you play an a sharp instead of a natural a in the bass. (BTW, I made a similar flaw directly of the begining of my recording. :oops: ) Sometimes left and right hand are not ideally together, but I guess, you do this intentionally. You really play it very cantabile and with much soul! Great as we are used from you, Sandro!

Techneut wrote:
    In my Henle-edition there are a sharps, so I think, Sandro plays the correct notes here, (not so in bar 35, where it has to be an a natural in the bass).

10. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I can\t remember ever hearing the A sharps here, but it seems I am at least half right about them then !

11. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    indeed I found it a wonderful performance.
    I think the missing notes are in the phrases of the begining (I listened with no score).
    great job!

12. Sandro Bisotti

Last Name:
    Bisotti
    First Name:
    Sandro
    This note is perfectly audible. Very p, but audible. Thank you attention and all the best,
    Sandro

13. Sandro Bisotti

Last Name:
    Bisotti
    First Name:
    Sandro

14. Sandro Bisotti

Last Name:
    Bisotti
    First Name:
    Sandro
    Exact! The last Bb of bar 4 (not missed completely, but really too much p, also in the strong diminuendo I like to play in those 3 last notes of the bar). But I leave these little mistakes, I'm not obsessed by perfect clarity of all details, and I don't want my recordings are too much better respect my real playing level.
    Thank you much for attention,
    Sandro

15. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ah yes, with headphones and the volume cranked all the way up I could just about hear it. At least I am not completely deaf yet :lol:

16. Sandro Bisotti

Last Name:
    Bisotti
    First Name:
    Sandro
    I too don't hear it from the cd player of the notebook , the noise of the cd player being sufficient to cover it....but it (he?) is there :)
    Bye,
    Sandro