DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 805

Chopin Mazurkas

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, May 15, 2007.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi Everybody,
    The seventeen-year cicadas are popping out in a few days, and they say the noise they make will be amazingly loud. So I don't quite know what to expect; even with my windows closed will it be too noisy outside to record? The last time they came out, I had just had a baby and was kind of out of it, and the time before that I was around 12 and remember riding my bike down the sidewalk and they would fly and get stuck in my hair. Eeewww, just thinking about that gives me the creeps. Anyway, that's why I had to get these pieces done now. Comments appreciated.

Chopin Mazurka Op. 7, No. 1
    Chopin Mazurka Op. 50, No. 1
    Chopin Mazurka Op. 68, No. 4

2. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    17 year Cicadas are worthless....what if I only came out of hiding every 17 years to eat and procreate....I'd be frowned upon by society.

Anyways, good playing. I am not too familiar with Chopin's Mazurkas, I only have Rubenstein to listen to and his recordings of the 51 Mazurkas. So the odds of impressing me are already stacked against you. :wink:

3. MindenBlues

MindenBlues New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    http://www.family-schmidt-minden.de
    First: I can't imagine that your Cidadas are louder as my frogs in our pond. You can't believe how loud they are, especially during the evening time where I like to play. Should spill a bottle oil or fill it with concrete or drop a bomb into the pond, also the neighbours would appreciate that. :roll:

To your Mazurkas:

7/1: that's more on the slower side, but with precise accented notes. I also like your piano sound on the sotto voce place - with una corda pedal, so it seems.

50/1: clear and precise chords. I could imagine even stronger lyrical playing here and there, also to phrase the left hand melody in the last part even stronger so that it stands out more clearly above the right hand accompaignment. You do, perhaps only a bit more exxageration maybe. But completely personal taste!

68/4: Beautiful played! Especially that passage from bar 14 on you interpreted very, very moving. What for a sad piece - is seems the last piece Chopin ever wrote. My score dates 1849 and states in the critical remarks:
    "last sketch Chopin wrote down before his death". There must be different versions of this - you played exactly as it is in my score (Henle Urtext). Not only here - you always play very accurate according the score.

4. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Mazurkas

Thanks for another beautiful post, Monica. I have to admit that I've never studied any of the mazurkas and have only played a couple of the most popular ones in passing. So I can't give any meaningful suggestions.

However, you played them with your usual sensitive, lyrical touch. I particularly liked the 68/4, especially after reading the information Olaf provided about it. It seems even more melancholy to me realizing it was probably Chopin's last work. Being the amateur psychologist that I am, I read a lot into those descending harmonic and melodic patterns throughout the piece.

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    These are very good as usual. The 7.1 is nice and quirky. In bar 8 and similar, on the second beat in the RH, you play an eight and a 16th. My edition only has that on the first beat, not on the second. Not that it sounds bad. You don't seem to observe the "poco rall." at the end of the sotto voce section. I did not find this one too slow although it's not really Vivavce either. But seems like "vivace" in Mazurkas is to be taken with a pinch of salt.

The 50.1 is good too but there could be just a little more conviction and freedom.

The 68.4 is very/too slow IMO, so that it loses the Mazurka character and becomes more like a slow melancholy waltz. It is beautiful and convincing though.

They are up the site. It will be nice when we'll get Mazurkas with cicada backing vocals :)

6. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you so much for listening Julius, Olaf, John and Chris.

Olaf, I pity your frog problem. We have them too down by the river but right next to my house are toads that make a soft croaking noise at night. It's actually a peaceful sound. They sing along with the crickets. Is your pond a natural one, or did you make it in your yard? That's a common thing around here.

WARNING: THESE QUOTE THINGS ARE ALL REVERSED. I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED. THIS IS THE SECOND TIME I TYPED THIS. :x Sorry.

[/quote] 7/1: that's more on the slower side
    50/1: clear and precise chords. I could imagine even stronger lyrical playing here and there, also to phrase the left hand melody in the last part even stronger so that it stands out more clearly above the right hand accompaignment. You do, perhaps only a bit more exxageration maybe.
    What for a sad piece - is seems the last piece Chopin ever wrote. My score dates 1849 and states in the critical remarks:
    "last sketch Chopin wrote down before his death"
    In bar 8 and similar, on the second beat in the RH, you play an eight and a 16th. My edition only has that on the first beat, not on the second
    You don't seem to observe the "poco rall." at the end of the sotto voce section
    The 68.4 is very/too slow IMO, so that it loses the Mazurka character and becomes more like a slow melancholy waltz

7. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    You don't have to listen to this again. It's pretty much the same as the first one. I tried to bring out the LH more on the end. It's not perfect but I can live with this recording. So Chris or Robert, when you have time, can you please replace the first recording of this mazurka with this version? Thank you. :)

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Done !

9. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you!

10. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Chris, I don't know if this matters or not, but I just went to the statistics page and at the very end it lists me recording Chopin 68/1, except I never recorded that one.

11. robert

robert New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    http://pianosociety.com
    WLM:
    robertstahlbrand@hotmail.com
    Cicadas! Had to look that up in Wikipedia as I had no idea of what it was but it does not sound too pleasant. Up in the north where I live we do not have much problems with any kind of animals as they would probably freeze to death if they tried to live here. My problems is rather cold hands when I play. But hm...we have the ravens in the mountains 100 meters from my house. But they most go like "kra kra" 100 meters up in the air and scares all the howling gulls away. So only for good then.

Your Chopin Mazurkas are very well executed and a beautiful listening experience. Perfect to set out a good mood from the breakfast table. Your playing sound confident and relaxed and there is noting more I want or expect. Very well done!

12. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes, this is because I had originally mistyped the 4 as a 1 one. One fast-fingered person managed to play it before I could rename it (see how popular you are :) ) and that lone event is now recorded in the access log forever. I can only correct that by hacking either the log or the stats program, and can't be bothered to do either...

If you look further up the list you see 25 downloads of the correctly named file.

13. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, Robert.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

> The seventeen-year cicadas

Also here they are. In july-august there are also fire-flies.
    Imho very well played th mazurkas. To find a thing I do not like very much (but obvious it's
    question of tastes) : the chords are at a volume level too much near the melody. I prefer
    more separation. Very good the phrasing and the grace-notes.

All best,
    Sandro.

15. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thanks, Sandro. I just listened back to these and I see what you mean in the last one. I just get so nervous when I record that my hands don't want to do what my brain tells them.

I didn't know you had these cicadas in Italy. I saw the first one yesterday. I was watering my flowers in the backyard, when my eyes fell on something big and black. It was a giant cicada sitting on my pink geranium. Scared me to death, as that memory of them getting stuck in my long hair came rushing back. I don't know where all the other billion cicadas are right now. It's ok with me if they come out in somebody else's yard. And we also have fire flies, except we call them lightening bugs. Those are 'nice' bugs. When I was a kid we used to collect them in a jar, secretly carry them into the movie theater, and then release them. Great fun! (though probably not for the managers)

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

> Scared me to death, as that memory of them getting stuck in my long hair came rushing back. I don't know where all the other billion cicadas are right now. It's ok with me if they come out in somebody else's yard.

I'm both europeist and friend of USA. But .....Hold them, do not export these monsters!
    Here there are only "regular" cicadas.

> except we call them lightening bugs.

mmm. I prefer the idea of flying fire.

All best,
    Sandro