Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chopin - Mazurkas Op.17

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Mar 9, 2015.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
  2. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Chris,

You probably remember that I rarely play dance forms, unless they're hyper-romantic waltzes. :) I did spot a mazurka here though that I've always thought was Chopin at his best in this genre--Op. 17, No. 4 in A minor. It's a plaintive piece with a wonderful melody which you've played very well here, including all of the difficult ornamentation. I really enjoyed hearing it.

David

3. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks David ! I guess Op. 17 no.4 is one of the best known Mazurkas, with no less than 5 recordings already on the site.

4. verqueue

verqueue New Member

Home Page:
    Good work.

The overall thing is that you could avoid sameness more. I'm not sure if similar phrases should be repeated in the same way (almost) every time. It's the question I was asking myself when I was playing this opus. And I still don't know the answer, but it just came to my mind again, when I was listening.

In the first mazurka I think you could use more time and add some rubato, but I liked it very much. There was one phrase where you can play in more pensive way in my opinion. But it's good.

The second mazurka I liked very much.

The third I don't like, because I don't like it as a piece, not your fault ;). This main motive is pretty annoying.

The fourth I interpreted in more contemplative way, but your interpretation is also good. I think you could more sing in ornaments. Also you could show more surprise when the repeated theme is finished with A major instead of minor.

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thank you, verqueue. The third of this set does not really speak to me either, it's one of the very few in the entire cycle.
    There are so many possibilities with these pieces, and they are so very personal. Even after 40-odd years of playing them I don't feel I am even scratching the surface. I try hard to give each Mazurka their due, but recording a complete cycle always carries the risk of a certain middle-of-the-road quality. It's easier to cherry-pick the ones you like best, as most pianists do.

6. echoyjeff222

echoyjeff222 Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Jeffrey
    Re the first mazurka:

I haven't played these pieces before, but just listening it for the first time ... I like the way you articulate the piece, overall. It gives a good sense of the dance. I'm not sure what the dynamics are (don't have the sheet music), but I would have liked to hear a few quieter moments where it's marked piano. Nice work overall!

7. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Jeff ! Yeah, playing quieter... now that is a challenge ! Dynamics seem to be the most difficult thing to achieve. I can't blame my grand for everything, but I am sure this would be easier on a more modern instrument.