DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 755

Chopin Mazurka Op. 33, No. 1

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Jan 20, 2007.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
  2. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Such a big emotional statement for a little mazurka! Well done, Monica.

Pete

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Very lovingly and thoughfully played as usual. No mistakes, and nothing to grumble about except the tempo... Why slow like a funeral march ? 'Mesto' does not imply Adagio. You take almost a minute longer than Rubinstein (who is no slouch, I must admit). In the middle section you speed up to a more conventional tempo, but the reprise is again yawn-inducingly slow. But ok, if that is how you feel the piece, don't change it.

I have put it up the site. Amazingly, we did not have this one yet !

4. MindenBlues

MindenBlues New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    http://www.family-schmidt-minden.de
    Meaningful and confident played!

Regarding tempo I only like to add that the autograph has "Mesto" mark. The Fontana copy, the French and the English first editions have "Presto" marking instead!
    Anyhow I like the slow mode too, however I would be surely not bad to speed up in the appassionato section. It really does not sound appassionato here.

Interesting, that there are some note differences too between the sheetmusicarchive score (which you seem to follow) and the Henle Urtext I have. In bar 2 (and bar38) there is no binding over the g#, but a binding in bar 4/5 (and bar 40/41) for the d# in the Urtext. Even in the critical remarks where all score differences are listed, those differences were not noted!?

However, according to both different scores you missed the LH chord in bar 30. Beside this, nothing else to niggle note wise.

Good job again!

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Well that is a laugh :lol: Surely some dimwit editor without any idea about music thought there was a spelling mistake here and changed it. But Mesto just means "sad" and is not a tempo indication in itself. I think this piece would sound totally ridiculous when played Presto.

Damn ! I should have noticed that :x Not doing a very good job of niggling these days.

But ok, I have something else: the little 16th rest in bar 4 (and corresponding bar in the reprise). You make it far too long which sounds a bit strange to me, as if you've momentarily lost it. It kills the rhythm too.

6. robert

robert New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    http://pianosociety.com
    WLM:
    robertstahlbrand@hotmail.com
    Suprisingly slow but you put in a lot feel and touch. Well done!

7. leonald

leonald Member Piano Society Artist

pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Kaidja
    First Name:
    Leonald
    http://www.leonald.com
    WLM:
    zz088@hotmail.com
    Monica, I sincerely admire Your love to music and to the playing on piano. One can sense it in every note played.

Leonald

8. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you to all of you who commented on the way I played this regarding sensitivity, touch and feel. I am honored that you noticed these elements, but I would like to explain something.
    I have never heard anyone play this piece before, so the interpretation was all mine. However, the day I sat down to record it was a day when I was in a very ‘blue’ mood. I literally poured my sad heart out in every note, which made my “Mesto” too slow. I guess my emotions overruled my brain (I think Chopin would understand.) Today my mood is much better (the Chicago Bears won yesterday. Yea!) and the world is much brighter, so I am a different person at the piano. You don’t have to listen to this again, but I would appreciate it if the powers that be, here, would swap this recording with the first one. Also, the missing chords are back where they belong.

9. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes, Chopin would understand. It is well known that the Chicago Bears were a great inspiration to him, and that he wrote his most heartbreaking stuff when they lost :p

I have replaced the Mazurka with the new version, which I think sounds much more convincing. Now roll on the next one !

10. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thanks.

11. MindenBlues

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    Yes, your 2nd version sounds happier. And clear and precise what is a "trademark" of your playing style.
    Regarding the tempo/mood marking "mesto" (autograph) and "presto" (Fontana and derived first editions) I checked again the critical remarks of the Henle Urtext score. They assume too that "presto" is a reading error by Fontana, so "mesto" seems to be what Chopin intended.

So maybe it sounds more mesto after the Chicago Bears loose a game? :D

Yes, your both versions differ but both have their own advantages - we should have both on the site!

12. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    We have one more game, the Superbowl game in two weeks. Whatever the outcome, I should not play the piano afterwards, since I play so differently depending on my mood.
    Thanks for listening.

13. MindenBlues

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    Oh no, please don't change your approach - I find it great that the current mood influences the interpretation!
    That shows that you liberate yourself from beeing busy to hit the right notes towards the approach to express the feelings, what is a level above. I think that is the right way, especially for those romantique music. That's why I also like your citation from Chopin below your statements so much - that he used to tell his piano what and how he feels.