Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chopin/Godowsky waltzes (op70 no2 & 3)

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by coqdorysme, Mar 17, 2009.

1. coqdorysme

coqdorysme New Member

Two rarely-played transcriptions by Godowsky, as compared to the highly popular Minute Waltz transcription - which I plan to study shortly.

2. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Odd nobody's commented on this post yet. These Godowsky's transcriptions are highly enjoyable and you give them full justice. A sober interpretation in a true godowskian neoclassical spirit, without renouncing the flexible phrasing so essential to all the harmonic and contrapuntal intricacy of those pages. The only sad note is that your recording device does automatic dynamic range compression.

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Graeat to see more Godowsky on the site. Though I regret that it's transcriptions again and not his original works. Many pianists play Godowsky's transcriptions, but stay clear of his other works, which I think is unjust.

I am not sure I like his way with these simple and innocent waltzes, transforming them into something they are not meant to be. I can imagine Chopin lovers (many on this site here) raising an eyebrow.

Not to say anything bad about your performances. They seem perfect to me. Though as Alf noted, the recorded sound is not very pleasant, it seems to clip everything onto one volume, making for little dynamic contrast. Your excellent playing is worth a better sound !

Anyway these can already go up the site if you want. If so please post your bio and photo.

Lastly, a warm welcome to PS (not sure if anybody said that yet or not).

4. coqdorysme

coqdorysme New Member

I am exploring some of his other works - bits from Triakontameron as well as the humongous (to me) Passacaglia, which I am playing for an exam in August. Wish me luck :)

For recording I use a Sony Hi-MD machine bought in 2003; how do I avoid the dynamic range compression?

(I'll get the bio and pics to you soon.)

5. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Welcome to Piano Society!

I enjoyed listening to these two transcriptions. They are both beautiful as is your playing. When it comes to Godowsky's transcriptions, as a listener I tend to simply compartmentalize the original versions (Chopin's in this case) from Godowsky's late romantic idiom with its distinctive and virtuosic embellishments. I think both forms of a composition have their places and can each be equally appreciated on their own merits within their own separate contexts. Nice work!

David

6. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Very brave... I wish you luck. I read to the Passcaglia once but gave up about halfway (having that outrageous cadenza still to look forward to). I think this is the work about Horowitz exclaimed that you need six hands to play it.