Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chopin etudes - 10/12, 25/7, 25/12

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by neural, Mar 31, 2016.

1. neural

neural New Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

hospital doctor
    Last Name:
    Knibb
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Well, I feel encouraged to submit more recordings, so here with some trepidation are the only three pieces by Chopin I've ever played, live recordings from I think 2007. I'm not a big Chopin guy and my hands get tired around the middle of 25/12, but still...

Jonathan.

Attached Files:

2. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    I have played all three etudes myself, too, and I have to say, your renditions are good and acceptable for this site. The tempo you choose for the op. 25, 12 and the Revolutionary Etude is not too high, but it´s o.k. You play quite properly (some little slips are minor) and very musically and expressively. So what do we want more?! ;)
    Once more a warm welcome. Read my lines concerning your new membership here in your Debussy thread, please. As soon as I will have your biography and created your artist page I will upload all your new submissions to the composer section on the main page and link your recordings also to your artist page.

3. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Decent sound and clearly acceptable for live recordsings (I like 25/7 the best of the performances). Expressive too. There are a few little oddities but they don't trouble me. Other than the extraneous noise at 0.12 in the "cello" etude - not your fault but it was an unpleasant surprise!

4. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Hello Jonathan,
    As Andreas, I also practiced these studies, and as you I don't claim to be a great chopinian ! I liked your versions, with some reservations on the op.25 No. 12, where I miss in some parts the main song played by the RH thumb (I mean the first note of arpeggios). But most of these studies are so challenging to play (I gave up with op. 10 No. 1, although several trials 30 years ago...)...

5. neural

hospital doctor
    Last Name:
    Knibb
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Thanks so much - good to hear, I was a bit nervous about posting these on the site. I agree entirely about the melody line in 25/12. I'm not surprised 25/7 comes across the best; of the three it was the one that really spoke to me.

I hadn't noticed the noise at 0:12 in 25/7! Sounds like the ref is blowing his whistle to stop the performance :)

6. troglodyte

troglodyte Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Professor
    Last Name:
    Parrow
    First Name:
    Joachim
    I listened to the two I have played. 10/12 you do really well in bringing out nuances and expressions. For some reason I though it snappier and more buoyant than usually heard, perhaps because of the very distinct dotted rhythm in RH. Consistent and evocative, well done! I was somewhat less impressed by 25/12 because of the almost constant thundering forte, there is room to do more in this and I am unsure what you want to project. Bringing that one up to speed is surprisingly difficult, I never quite managed it.

Joachim

7. neural

hospital doctor
    Last Name:
    Knibb
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Joachim: Having listened through these recordings now after some years, I agree with you that 25/12 has the furthest to go. Really I was just at the stage of 'hey look I can play all (ok, most of) the notes'. If and when I come back to these pieces I'll keep your comments in mind. -- Jonathan.

8. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    See my lines in your Debussy thread, please.