Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chopin Etude Op.25, No. 12 in C Minor. "Ocean"

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by PJF, Jan 26, 2009.

1. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Finally, my shoulder is healed! (The sciatica is going away, too.) I've been away from recording for a long time and it feels great to be back!

Here we find Chopin's "Ocean" etude played with no holds barred. "Surely some holds are barred?", you may ask. I assure you; none were barred. :lol:

FYI: There's a broken high C string on my piano. IF I can repeat this performance after I get the string fixed; I'll repost it.

Anyway, what do you all think?

Pete

Chopin - Etude in C minor Op. 25, No. 12

2. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Great job, Pete! I can't make it all the way through this one at tempo...my arms feel like they're going to fall off! :lol: I could always use a bit more dynamic contrast in this one, but it's nearly impossible to do, so no sweat. Also, this version comes off a bit mechanical, but again, no sweat cause I know how hard this is to play.

Random little wrong notes aside, I have to wonder if there are edition differences for measure 42. I'm thinking not, because D natural, making a D diminished triad, is really the only thing that makes sense harmonically (watch, Alf is going to show up and argue with me about that). But you play D-flat, and iirc, Sandro also played D-flat in his recent resubmission of this. *goes check* Yes, he did. (link)

Does anyone have an edition with a D-flat in measure 42?

3. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    You're right, Terez!

D-flat in bar 42 is incorrect. The d diminished chord is the only acceptable one, here.

I checked 7 different editions; all show a D natural in the LH. I'll have to correct that; thanks.

Pete

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Quite a feat, all respect for your technical mastery of this piece even despite the slips. Not sure if the no-holds barred tempo does the piece any good though. Somehow, what comes to my mind is an ocean of pebbles, clicking against each other, rather than an ocean of rolling waves.
    That D flat surely sounds, well, different... Another thing perked me are the accents in the 12th and 10th from the end. You seem to accent the lower E instead of the higher, thus creating a dotted rhythm. Maybe intentional ?
    Personally I'd take this a little more relaxed. My Peters says ca. 60 to the half note and you are slightly faster than that.

5. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Impressive! :lol:

*looks at Pete's sig*

You could always blame Sandro. :wink:

That's a good way of saying what I meant when I said "a bit mechanical". I thought it might have something to do with the piano.

6. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    All my editions say 80 to the half note. I think I went quite a bit faster than that! Peters says 60...I'll have to try that.

7. sejra

sejra New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stehlik
    First Name:
    Bohumir
    And what about any feeling? It's like robot...

8. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    You're right, I'm showing up, and you're wrong, I won't argue with you about that (at worst I could agrue with you). :p

I don't think such an edition exists! By the way, it is very curious indeed that both Pete and Sandro makes the same odd reading mistake. It's a pity for the muddled audio, this performance would have benefitted from a better recording.

9. Sandro Bisotti

Sandro Bisotti New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bisotti
    First Name:
    Sandro
    My ideas (or better: my ideas in that moment) about this music are in my version.
    Here I only congratulate with you for the very good control and the very high clarity of the arpeggios. Let's tell: in your version the arpeggios are at the same level of importance of the melody line (and of its doubling at highs); different conception and project from mine, then good thing for you :)
    Bye,
    Sandro

10. wiser_guy

wiser_guy Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    A great performance, Pete. I admire your persistence throughout which I find quite convincing of the 'ocean', its wild nature and depths.

11. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Sandro, I agree with that statement and appreciate the feedback.

Now that I've got the notes rather secure, I can work on shaping the arpeggios into something more...organic. I'm going to try to create a 3D sound effect.

Thanks for the accolades, Wiser guy; when I recorded this, I had so much pent up fury from staying off the piano for most of last year, it all came flooding out at once. This is the ocean in a category 5 hurricane! :lol:

PS:There was something wrong with my memory card in my Edirol. I changed it and the sound quality is far better...not sure what could go wrong with an SD card... :?

Pete

12. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Pete,

Regarding tempo, I notice in the Schirmer (Arthur Friedheim, editor) it is given as 76 to the half note, and in the Paderewski, 80 to the half note. Not much difference between those two at least. I do believe if you were to slow the etude down just a little, the piece would gain in majesty. You'd project more clearly the sense of the huge ocean swells and the sea spray breaking over the ship's bow and blowing furiously through the rigging. It would also enable you to inject more of your expressiveness into the music, by not being quite so hurried and having to contend so much with technical demands. I congratulate you on your achievement. A fine rendition!

David

13. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Alfie darling, you know I was just fishing for you to agree with me about a "this note or that note" issue. :wink:

I thought so too, obviously. Well, I thought it was a weird mistake when Sandro first made it (because it just sounds so wrong to me), and when he didn't respond to me about it in the thread where he posted it, I wondered if it was an edition difference and never bothered to find out until Pete conveniently made the same mistake and reminded me to ask. :lol:

14. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Someone'll hate me for that, but I wonder how one can play hundreds, thousands times a plainly wrong harmony without realizing it. I'll probably get an answer in due course when it happens to me. :lol:

15. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Of course such a silly thing would never happen to you .....

16. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi Pete,

Welcome back. It has been so long since I have put up one of your recordings that I have forgotten if I should name you Pierre or Pete or Peter for the ID tags. Please advise.

17. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Hehe, let he who is without sin throw the first stool, indeed it may happen to anyone, the probability being inversely related to the time spent on the piece, I think. It's just for that reason that I wondered... :eek:

18. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Never mind - since you are listed as Pierre on the site, then that is what you shall be on the file.

19. sejra

sejra New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stehlik
    First Name:
    Bohumir
    Sorry for this but this is like robots play... Absolutly no feeling in it. Only technics. Please do something with it...

20. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    This is on the site now, Pete.