Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chopin Etude op.25 n.12 "Ocean"

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Anonymous, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Uh.....let's tell that technology helps the poor amateur. I play so not as my average, but at my
    best possible level. Recording permits to re-create this level, as it is the average.....
    But thank you, too much kind Nathans.
    All best,
    Sandro

2. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    That is very interesting...who is this Rosen you speak of, and was he a contemporary of Chopin? Did he write about Chopin on his own or was he quoted in one of the more well-known Chopin tomes? I'm doing my bachelor's thesis on a stylistic analysis and comparison of the sonata forms of Chopin (including the concertos) so I'm working on a bibliography now. I've never run across a description of Chopin's playing that didn't say he was always very piano, but I'm not exactly an expert (yet!).

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

>
    That is very interesting...who is this Rosen you speak of,

I apologize. He is Charles Rosen (american pianist and musicologist, living).
    Believe me, it's not only my modest opinion, his "The romantic generation" (where I read the
    things I repeated about Chopin, in the italian translation) is a F-U-N-D-A-M-E-N-T-A-L book.
    Don't miss it for some reason. Really, I see how and what you write, and someone like you
    cannot miss this book.
    All best,
    Sandro

4. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Thanks, Sandro. :D Good luck on trying to make some dynamic contrast...from my work with this etude, I know that the restraint required to actually make a contrast is probably one of the most difficult aspects of the piece! I will try to work on my tension issues over the summer to that I can perform it perhaps in the fall.

5. Didier

Didier Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    :shock: :shock: :shock: Spectacular playing and spectacular sound ! (Did you put your K2s inside the piano ?)
    Congratulations !

6. johnmar78

johnmar78 New Member Piano Society Artist

Food chemist / pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Mar
    First Name:
    John
    Sandro, firstly..bravo to you. I enjoyed your playing very much so as your speciall effects.
    You have set a good examples for me and rest of the world.
    I liked this etude very much. May be I should start it after Liszt.

Musical is more important than anything.....

Cheers from Australia.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Uh, Didier (the best sounding recordings here IMHO) make me congratulations for the sound?
    Great, really happy of this. I put the pair of k2 (polarity setting: omnidirectional) in a-b
    configuration. One at about 80 cm from the end of the (semi-closed) lid, 20 cm. above the lid end, and the other a little higher and 70-80 cm behind the first.
    The sound is not bad, I think its limits are above all in the small dimension of the room, and the positioning......(about 15-20 tests, but as you know this is an open fields.....).
    Here I added (very little, at -20 db) a reverb. Didier, excuse me for the direct speaking, but if
    you have an idea about how to improve the sound (with equalization or other things), please make me know the results.
    Thank you and all best,
    Sandro

8. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Just wanted to re-emphasize this point. If you play romantic period music and have not read this book, walk away from the piano right now and read Mr. Rosen's book. It's enlightening and most helpful. Great anecdotes about the composers we love ... and good performance notes for many pieces. mostly thought, it helps you get into the mind of the pianists who played these pieces and the audiences that loved them. Really, really a must-read for the romantic performer!!!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

>

Thank you Johnmar78, very kind. This etude is IMHO very easier than the Polonaise you
    play. For my hands surely, I don'tr know for yours.
    All best,
    Sandro

10. Syeles

Syeles New Member

retired
    RE:

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

> I'm not convinced it's your playing that the note above perceives. It seems to me that my right headphone is picking up much more volume on the high notes than my left is picking up on the low notes. But it could just be my hearing is getting worse from wearing headphones too much.

No, your ears are ok.... I use the microphines in a-b configuration (one behind the other), then the effect is more similar to a mono recording, without many left-right effect.
    Thank you,
    Sandro

12. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    i
    Yes a bit of equalization to remove room resonances at 130 Hz and 200 Hz gives a better defined sound for my ears. I attach what I did. Note that A-B configuration is not a microphone behind the other but the microphone at the same height on a line perpendicular to the direction to the source, with a distance between them of about 20 cm (small A-B) to a few meters (large A-B for orchestral recording). I use often small A-B like in my last recording on Pianosociety done with a pair of .... K2, also in omni setting ! :roll:
    I wanted to try valve large diaphragm microphones in an affordable price range. I am very happy with these microphones: they are an interesting alternative to the small diaphragm condensers which I was using up to now, and will continue to use, depending on the kind of sound that I want.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

>
    Yes a bit of equalization to remove room resonances at 130 Hz and 200 Hz gives a better defined sound for my ears.

Very better, thank you. I'll try to equalize so. How many db decrease at these frequecies do you
    have setted, and which slope?
    Thank you,
    Sandro

14. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    I used two notch filters made with the mid filter of the Steinberg plugin EQ-1 in Wavelab. I tuned the parameters by looking at the result in the spectral analysis. They are about : f=130 Hz, - 8 dB, Q = 20 and f = 195 Hz, - 10 dB, Q = 50.
    Have a good day, Sandro.
    Didier

15. johnmar78

johnmar78 New Member Piano Society Artist

Food chemist / pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Mar
    First Name:
    John
    Thanks Sandro. On the weekend, after inspired by your playing. I actually just meomorised 2 pages.And I work this in conjuction with my Liszt.
    And you are dead right about this etude, "this is not as hard as it seems".

This particular etude touches my heart and it makes me tears when I play it.

And good work again Sandro.