Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chopin Etude op.25 n.12 "Ocean"

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Anonymous, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not immaculate, but for an amateur here there are too many notes per second. Be patient.
    I used to play this piece (and other so and more difficult) as excercise, in the last year.
    But I recently realized I could record it, and then here my first recording of a Chopin Etude
    (my first time, after Monica).
    Thank you,
    Sandro

Chopin - Etude in C-minor, Op. 25, no. 12

2. demonic_advent

demonic_advent New Member

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    Wow!

I'm very impressed by this recording!

This is one of my favorite Chopin etudes, only eclipsed by his B Minor and 2 A Minor etudes from op. 25. (And perhaps the Revolutionary... but that's almost expected!)

I suppose my one critique on it would be that perhaps you could bring out the those low bass notes at the start of (almost?) every measure. Those really give a sense of grounding to each measure. Perhaps you could do that by either increasing velocity on the bass notes, or perhaps quieting down the runs in the upper voice of the keyboard a bit. Since this is an etude meant to symbolize the ocean, it might be intresting to hear what I would see as the recession of the waves a bit quieter, and the inital pounding force a bit louder.

Great job though! I like this one quite a bit! I can say that this one deserves a spot on my iPod!

Great work! Thanks!

3. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    I can actually hear some mistakes! Whoa, I am surprised that I could pick them out. Anyways, even if there are mistakes I like your recording.

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    This is up. Very profound playing!

I noticed one fairly obvious editing cut, but I don't blame you for that. I would have to lie down and rest after playing each line of this music. Great job on your first Etude! :)

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Very impressively played indeed. As stormy as they come ! There are assorted slips and read errors, but they don't distract. The only nag I have is the rushed ending. That lets down this otherwise great performance a bit, IMO.

6. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    That's my favorite etude of Chopin (But of course, I mean for the listening. I've not played this one myself yet :wink: I envy the people a lot, who play the Etude just for exercising!) and you played it very well. (BTW I was distracted by the audible editing mentioned by Monica at this time. The wrong notes are really ok.)
    Congratulation on this good job!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

>That's my favorite etude of Chopin ....

Believe me, it's less difficult than it seems. Great effect and not so difficult.
    I have not big hands, and this study is playable
    (with errors and slips it become.....easy :) .
    Thank you also to DemonicAdvent, Monica, Juufa72 and Chris for their kind words.
    All best,
    Sandro

8. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Have my sincere congratulations to this nice and stormy etude. I played it still myself, too. I like your recording, although there are some slips, because you underline this stormy and wild character of the piece very well, with very much expression coming from inside, like we are used from your high artistic quality!

9. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    nice recording

I enjoy this very much, though I will agree with a former comment about the rushed ending.

Please allow me to double the purpose of this message by telling you that I have very much enjoyed your Scarlatti recordings. After hearing the K466 I learned and performed it; my wife likes it so much she asks me to play it when I practice. That was a very inspirational recording!

10. troglodyte

troglodyte Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Professor
    Last Name:
    Parrow
    First Name:
    Joachim
    Magnificent! Great drama and head on, the only way to play this. I don't know if it is the recording but you might get even more drama by varying the dynamics a little bit more.

I remember when I practised this - my flatmates had murder in their eyes a long time.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

>Magnificent! Great drama and head on, the only way to play this.

Very kind, thank you.

>I don't know if it is the recording but you might get even more drama by varying the dynamics a little bit more.

No, it's not the recording. But I find you are right, more contrast would be better. Again thank you.

>I remember when I practised this - my flatmates had murder in their eyes a long time.

:D I know the situation. But....not good days for my neighbours: I'm studying also Chopin
    op.10-12 and above all Rachmaninov Moment Musicaux n.4, where there is also a "Sforzato"
    with 4 F (and I obey to this kind of indication). They relax their nerves when I go to this
    25-12.
    All best,
    Sandro

12. demonic_advent

demonic_advent New Member

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    You're learning the Rachmaninoff Moment Musicaux in E minor?!?!?

I can't wait to hear it! It's one of my FAVORITE Rachmaninoff pieces EVER!!!

Good luck with it though... it looks EXCEEDINGLY difficult.

13. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Good job, Sandro; very impressive. :D I know what you mean about this one not being so hard but at the same time, I can't play it without tension, so I can't make it all the way through it, especially at the volume you played.

That was my first and most lasting impression of your performance (the loudness)...you have to start out a lot softer if you want to get any dynamic contrast out of it later, and that's the difference between just making it through the piece and playing it really well, of course - more than the slips (there was only one really bad one I heard, not counting the very audible editing slip - there was a less obvious editing slip later where the recording quality sounded different...a bit muffled). Yeah, it's marked forte in the beginning, but try to imagine it's a Chopin forte (he wasn't known for playing all that loud, as I'm sure you know), and you have to save something for the il più forte possibile, if nothing else. And there, I think it's safe to think more of a Rachmaninoff il più forte possibile than a Chopin one, blasphemous as that might be. ;) I think that the recap should start out louder than the beginning, but still not il più forte possibile. Also, I think the biggest let-down as far as the interpretation was that you didn't back off at all before the B section - that French 6th chord is the perfect place to back off dynamically if you want to make it subito, but a bit of gradual backing off before then will make it even easier to prepare for the poco a poco crescendo in the development section. I also like just a bit of backing off dynamically right after the il più forte possibile, so that you can crescendo again into the final bit of terminative material. But when you're playing this etude, it's impossible to truly be piano, because you are playing so fast over the whole length of the keyboard, and you have to always accent the melody over the rest, so you could start out on this piece playing as soft as you can (without inaudible notes) and with the soft pedal, and still be forte! :D

Again, just that you can play it at all is very impressive - this one is a real booger to even "just make it through". :lol: Congrats on your hard work. ;)

14. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Indeed very impressive while not free from flaws and things can of course be improved. But that's the fun side of Chopin's etudes, even professionals always have to work on them continuously to keep them polished.

15. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    I frankly don't care about wrong notes. It's fantastic, Sandro :!:

...and if getting all the notes right means forsaking the aforementioned drama, I prefer the uninhibited, occasional-note-in-error version.

16. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    well, I've got a lot of music to plow through today, I started with yours Sandro cause it was on top. And if the other posts are anywhere near the quality and level of this one, I'm gonna have a great morning!

That was super, Sandro!! :!: Bravo ... you have me on my feet!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Terez wrote

>Good job, Sandro; very impressive.

Not immaculate, but I hope decent and compact in its structure and expressive world.

>
    That was my first and most lasting impression of your performance (the loudness)...
    you have to start out a lot softer if you want to get any dynamic contrast out of it later, and that's the difference between just making it through the piece and playing it really well, .....

It's the same consideration of troglodyte, and it has very good reasons, and it's intelligent IMHO.
    My choice (but I consider to modify it basing also on your words) was: PANIC-IMMEDIATELY,
    and then no many problems of dynamic contrasts, more important a very dark and strong general
    tone.

> there was a less obvious editing slip later where the recording quality sounded different...a bit muffled).

:D Tou are right also here (I don't like that moment), but curiously in that point there are not
    cuts. It's only a passage less sure (or more weak)

>And there, I think it's safe to think more of a Rachmaninoff il più forte possibile than a Chopin one, blasphemous as that might be. ;) I think that the recap should start out louder than the beginning, but still not il più forte possibile.

As Rosen wrote about this piece, here Chopin EXCEED in violence the possibilities of piano
    (only here and in the finale of op. 61, another piece I love and play. In all his other pieces the piano is more than sufficient to him).
    Thank you Terez, you are ever so kind and precise in your considerations, really a pleasure to read you.
    All best,
    Sandro

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

>

...and if getting all the notes right means forsaking the aforementioned drama, I prefer the uninhibited, occasional-note-in-error version.

It's not my problem :) , but I think it's better lose the terror of the mistake.
    First to avoid mistakes! But....are we sure this is the first value?
    Thank you Pete, I agree with your consideration, and thanks to Robert
    (also I agree with yours).
    All best,
    Sandro

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: nice recording

>After hearing the K466 I learned and performed it; my wife likes it so much she asks me to play it when I practice. That was a very inspirational recording!

But so kind, thank you! k466...it's a recording with digital, I'll re-record it with my piano.
    If you permit, I'll tell you when I'll upload it here and on youtube.
    Again thank you,
    Sandro

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

>

You're learning the Rachmaninoff Moment Musicaux in E minor?!?!?

I study it as technical excercise (and because I adore this piece, as you), but now I begin
    to consider the possibility to try (probably with 2 or 3 separate takes) the recording.

>
    Good luck with it though... it looks EXCEEDINGLY difficult.

It is. For my little hands....
    Thank you and all best,
    Sandro