Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chopin Etude op 10 no 6

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by timmyab, Jul 8, 2009.

1. timmyab

timmyab New Member

I just thought I'd run this one up the flag pole to see if anyone salutes.I've actually recorded it for another forum which is holding an etude recital in a couple of weeks time.Naturally I grabbed the easiest one I could think of. :lol: Although it's turned out to be more difficult than I'd thought, I hadn't realized that it's meant to be played without pedal :shock: .Oh well, I can't manage that but I've tried to keep it as light as possible.

Chopin - Etude in E-flat minor, Op. 10, no. 6

2. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Sounded good to me. Thank you for sharing. (It is interesting that you thought that this was the easiest etude :?: )

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    This is up. Sounded nice to me too. Very musically played.

one thing - please use a compression number lower than 200 on your next submissions (many of us use 192 kbps). Higher than that and the file is too large and takes us a long time to process. Thanks.

4. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Yes, the point of No. 6 is to cultivate finger pedaling only of the cantilena melody, so no pedal allowed. The problem is that when used, it more often than not throws a haze over the figuration. In your case, you kept it very light, so I give you credit for that. But having heard you play the piece that way, I'm convinced you could play it as well with no pedal. Good job.

P.S. I recorded this etude and put it on another site years ago and played it with no pedal, so I'm familiar with the challenge first hand.

David

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    This is indeed very well played, and the pedal usage, though more than Chopin prescribed, is judicious and does not diminish the performance.
    However I must say that I find it a rather hurried, even sometimes impatient, performance. To my mind, this etude deliberately harks back to Bach, and I think it needs to sound far more serene than it does here. Having said that, I did not check the metronome marking - maybe this tempo is indicated. If so, I'll shut up.

6. timmyab

timmyab New Member

Thanks for listening everyone and for your generally favorable comments.
    I should have said out of op 10.However, played without pedal and at a reasonable tempo I'm inclined to rank it at least alongside nos 3 and 9.
    I find it very difficult to not use the pedal, almost scary.When I play Bach I have to lash my feet to the piano stool :lol: .
    The MM on my Schirmer edition is actually 69 which is considerably faster than I've recorded it here.Some editions are marked 60.I'm probably hovering between about 45 and 50.One of the reasons I assumed that this was an easy etude was because I learned the piece through Ashkenazy's recording which goes off the scale, well below 40.The only recording I've heard that's anywhere near 69 is Perahia at about 55-60.I guess these people have nothing to prove technically and prefer to bring out the lyricism.

7. jlr43

jlr43 Member Piano Society Artist

Technical Editor
    Last Name:
    Renouf
    First Name:
    Joe
    Interesting discussion about the pedal...I guess I had violated Chopin's pedal edict when playing this etude :oops:

Very well played in general. The tempo also seemed too fast to me. Going several metronome markings slower would give you more opportunity to bring out the various lines and voices IMO.
    Also, one thing I'm hearing that may be related to the tempo is a small hesitation that seems to recur at the end of every phrase (e.g., every two bars or so). A little bit may be ok, but I think it sometimes interrupts the melodic flow.

Overall, though, congratulations on a very nice performance!

8. timmyab

timmyab New Member

Most of the great pianists seem to agree with you here and if it wasn't for the metronome marking I'm sure I'd feel the same way.
    Yes, this is something I've noticed ever since I started recording myself playing a few months ago and I am trying to correct it.This is the sort of thing where a teacher would have saved me so much time over the years, but in the absence of one I think that recording yourself and exposing yourself to criticism on the net is the next best thing.

9. rsmullyan

rsmullyan New Member Piano Society Artist

Mathematician, Musician, Magician & Author
    Last Name:
    Smullyan
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Would be very beautiful if only played slower. It really is too fast.

10. cmudave1125

cmudave1125 New Member

Pianist; Financial Advisor
    Home Page:
    I like this piece very much, and I don't have a problem with pedalling as opposed to playing it dry. My own recording uses the pedal liberally. I have to agree with others who have commented that the tempo is much too fast, however. Slow it down some and allow the dark flavoring to come through, and you will have a nice performance piece.

Dave

11. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Looks like I had a point about the tempo, even I said I'd accept the authority of the metronome mark...

It's not just the tempo, but more than that, an occasional sense of hurry, a little pressing on, which IMO does not become this etude. Perception of tempo is caused by the way something is played at least as much as it is by the actual playing speed - if you get my drift. It doesn't maybe need to be slower, just needs to sound slower. Or rather, more relaxed and serene.

12. rsmullyan

rsmullyan New Member Piano Society Artist

Mathematician, Musician, Magician & Author
    Last Name:
    Smullyan
    First Name:
    Raymond
    That too, techneut, but it should also be slower.

13. s_winitsky

s_winitsky Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

programmer
    Last Name:
    Winitsky
    First Name:
    Stan
    I think this is an interesting point. If I understand it correctly, often the right accent or breath, or space between 2 notes, or maybe even dynamics, can change the feel of tempo within music.

Strange as I noticed often, I may play something faster then artist A, while my version may sound dull, slow and boring, artist A's version will sound convincing. The opposite also holds true, while I might play something slower then artist A, my version might sound rushed and uneven.

What do you guys think? Am I completely off?

b.t.w. It does sound like a nice recording :)

14. sejra

sejra New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stehlik
    First Name:
    Bohumir
    I like it. Nice recording. Try to not stop on almost each 6 small notes. Without it it would be really great recording. But you have really good base! Your feeling is very nice.

15. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    No !
    This was exactly my point. The actual tempo is not all there is to it.