Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chopin etude in G flat major, op 10 no 5, "black keys"

Discussion in 'Works in Progress' started by jxw999, Aug 13, 2015.

1. jxw999

jxw999 New Member

2. jlr43

jlr43 Member Piano Society Artist

Technical Editor
    Last Name:
    Renouf
    First Name:
    Joe
    I think posting Youtube llinks without any introduction is generally frowned upon around here, so if that's the case the admins may yell at you :p

Anyway, about the playing...to cut to the chase, you've learned and memorized the notes but that's about it. In addition to needing somewhat of a boost in the speed department to come to life, this needs to glisten and sparkle quite a bit more. Right now, it sounds rather clunky, monochromatic, tentative, and struggly. IMO this is not one of the more scintillating of the Chopin etudes and depends thus even more on technical finesse and elegance to succeed.

Part of the problem is control. Looking at your hands in the video, the fingers are often spindly and flailing every which-way when they should be held much closer to the keys, especially the black keys :) .

Sorry to be a bit negative, but I think even this small leaf out of Chopin's bible deserves a bit more musical reverence.

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Joe's right.... :wink:

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    It used to be so. These days I tend to mostly just ignore posts like this, unless the repertoire is of particular interest.