Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chopin - Barcarolle

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Nov 14, 2008.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I was just teasing about that. It is not on Youtube. I made the video in my running clothes and hardly even combed my hair because I was going for a run right after that. For my ‘real’ Youtube video I’ll wear something better…like my pajamas! :lol:

Here is the video again. But I have to take it back off later tonight.

2. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Pianolady wrote:
    Oh, Monica, you can believe me, if I would have known this, I wouldn´t have asked for it. :oops:

But now I´m really happy also to have seen you playing this wonderful piece, which I like really very much. :D
    From my view you seem to have a well balanced and experienced manner to play. (And I find it to be much more interesting to see some little human imperfections than a perfect recording, if I´m honest. My video of Scherzo Nr. 3 is also still full of such "human imperfections". :lol: )
    So, I think, you are on a real good way with this Barcarolle. Continue so and thank you very much for sharing it with us!

3. diminished2nd

diminished2nd New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Kendrick
    First Name:
    Austin
    VOICING! Yes! I love hearing this piece played by somebody who has incredible voicing skills... it makes it so beautiful, especially when they really bring out some of those lines in the inner voices!

Of course, I'm a sucker for good voicing no matter what the piece is... that's why I absolutely love Dinu Lipatti :D (and his recording of Barcarolle is exquisite :p)

4. diminished2nd

Last Name:
    Kendrick
    First Name:
    Austin
    I didn't know you were from Chicago?! I might go there w/ my sister and brother-in-law around Christmas time! (we live like... 4 or 5 hours away or so in Iowa)

5. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Kendrick, I have not heard Lipatti's version of this, but have you heard Kissin's? I really like it. I currently listen to Rubenstein, Zimmerman and Kissin and I used to love Zimmerman, but now Kissin is in the lead. He's very good at those inner voices too - especially on the second page where you have the RH trill in one finger, while the thumb moves around - it's actually the LH thumb that has a neat little melody line that he brings out. I'm working on doing that now.

Chicago - a great city! I'm about a 35-minute drive in the western suburbs. Christmas time is nice. Let me know if you need a list of places to visit.

6. diminished2nd

Last Name:
    Kendrick
    First Name:
    Austin
    Awesome... any suggestions would be great! I don't know what all our plans are, except that I've heard of a place that sells Faziolis, and I am going to go and play one (or a few :p) of them hopefully!

Zimmerman is usually good... I LOVE his ballades (1st, 3rd, and 4th at least.. 2nd, eh.....) and most of his Barcarolle, I just think he takes off too fast at the 3rd to last page there. I haven't heard Kissin, but I'll be sure to look his up when I get a chance. That's actually one of the very places I was talking about too (the little melody under the trill)! :D

7. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    The Fazioli piano dealer is located in the same building that is Symphony Center, where the Chicago Symphony Orchestra plays. It's on one of the upper floors. Maybe you can catch a concert when you're there!

You're right about Zimerman playing that page so fast. Kissin is a little slower and has more sweeping dynamics. His double trills are different than Zimerman too in that he delays when they change just a bit so that you can appreciated them better ( I think). And yes - it's that little melody line under the trill in that one spot. Would you like me to send you the Kissin recording? I'm not sure I can, but I will try. Just pm me your email address if you'd like it.

Happy Thanksgiving, Everybody! :)

8. arensky

arensky New Member

Musician
    Home Page:
    Hi Monica

I did not watch the video or even read the rest of the posts after your introductory one. I just listened to a piece I've longed to have for myself as well, and heard much more good than bad, there are still some areas that that need special technical attention (you know the ones) but your command of this piece is near complete. You have a superb interpretation down, now you just need to keep doing it again and again and making it better, working the bugs out as you go. Keep at it ! Bravo! 8)

9. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, Chase. I can always use a pep talk.
    Still practicing... :)

10. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Chopin

Your "blood, sweat, and tears" were worth it. This sounds beautiful to me. I've "fooled around" with it, but never learned it. Congratulations!