Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chopin - Barcarolle (last time, I promise)

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Mar 5, 2009.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Recorded this morning.

I kept working on the Barcarolle since my last attempt, and hopefully it is a little better. I really worked hard – probably the longest and hardest I’ve ever worked on anything! I worked on increasing my tempo in certain sections and also changed the way I play many of the grace notes and trills. Hope this sounds ok - it really is the last time I am going to record it, as it took a lot out of me.

Comments appreciated. (I know you all did that already, but in case you're bored and have nothing to do...)

Chopin - Barcarolle, Op. 60

2. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    I know I've listened to an earlier version but cannot remember it really. This one is very good and I enjoyed very much listening to it. You caught the spirit of Chopin well and without getting into detail, I find very few things to improve. Splendid!

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you very much, Robert! :D

4. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    This is a splendid version! I find interesting some of your phrasings at the begining, which have decided markings at the end (breaks). Very nice lyrical moments are in this version and at the end you develop much more passion and flow than in your previous versions and you show us a much more speaking and declamatory playing here.
    So, this all round is a great and much improved achievement!

5. sarah

sarah New Member

I too think you did a beautiful job, Monica. This piece sounds like a major challenge technically with all of those ornaments – and it’s quite lengthy besides. I can tell that you put a lot of work into this work, and your effort shows in your soulful rendition. I’d be very proud of it!

6. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, Andreas and Sarah. I am so glad you think this came out okay. :D

7. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    better than i could do...i probably couldn't even play the first note :roll:

8. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Believe it or not, the first note in this piece was tricky. Actually the whole first page, which most people would say is the easiest, but I found it very, very hard to get it to sound decent. Probably because "simplicity is the hardest thing to do." (that's a famous quote - a prize goes to whomever can name the person :) )

9. wiser_guy

wiser_guy Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    To be honest, I don't quite remember your first attempt on this piece. Anyway, this new one is a well-rounded performance. Expressive and meaningfully shaped. Nicely done, Monica.

I have a slight reservation though. I think your forte points came a little heavy. And I note this only because you seem very interested and occupied with this piece. Just ignore my comment if these were intended to be played this way.

10. 88man

88man Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Vosgerichian
    First Name:
    George
    Monica, this is a very moving and highly musical achievement for all your hard work and dedication. Your choice of tempo, rubato, phrasing, interpretation were all fantastic. Joyful listening! You're right, the perception of the first note is difficult on this piece.... "How difficult it is to be simple" - Vincent van Gogh.

... There have been many quotes on simplicity, but I think that it was Charles Hawthorne who said, "To see things simply is the hardest thing in the world."

BTW, Chopin also commented on simplicity. As the model for simplicity in music, he thought Mozart was God! "Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." - Frederic Chopin

What piece is next on your list?...

11. diminished2nd

diminished2nd New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Kendrick
    First Name:
    Austin
    This really is a lot better than your first attempt. Great work! Of course there are quite a few things that I could fuss about, but only because I'm playing it right now (actually I'm recording it again tomorrow. I've recorded it already a couple times but haven't been satisfied. I promise I'll post whatever I end up with after tomorrow though :p)

...Those 6th's on the second page are a beast aren't they? :shock: and you only have to play them like... 20 million times throughout the piece........... :p

12. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thanks you guys!

You know...nobody remembers my other version of this. And I know why. Because it wasn't memorable! :lol: That's ok - I agree.

Pantelis, I guess I'll ignore what you said about my forte parts, because I think I was trying to be forte. But now I'm not sure and I'll listen again and see if I see what you mean. Thanks for getting nitpicky - it helps.

George - You definitely get the prize for guessing my quote. I was talking about Chopin, but it seems like I left out a bunch of words. :lol:

Kendrick - Those 6ths! Argh!! I can barely reach them! But I think my fingers have stretched out since practicing this piece so hard. And you better post your version!!! :) (except, it'll probably be much better than mine, and then I'll have to try again, and again, and again...)

13. diminished2nd

diminished2nd New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Kendrick
    First Name:
    Austin
    yeah when my teacher said he wanted me to learn it, I thought the hardest part would be those 3rds trills... I had NO idea how hard the 6ths would be to make sound decent :evil:

14. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi monica,

As I recall, you were ready to put the piece away after your first recording, but I figured you wouldn't.
    :)

I think you've taken a quantum leap here over your original recording. Your playing is far more self assured and polished. And you've brought more mastery to those passages in the score that were previously quite difficult for you. The overall improvement is impressive. I admire your persistence and perseverance. This recording is a wonderful achievement. Brava!

David

15. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, David. You don't know how relieved I am to know that I have improved from my first attempt at this piece. Sometimes, I almost wonder if because I am too close to my own recordings - if they really are getting better, or if it is only wishful thinking.

16. Chopinesque

Chopinesque New Member

Systems Developer
    I listened to this a few days ago but didn't have a chance to comment. Just to say this is one of my favourite Chopin pieces and I really enjoyed your interpretation. The music is too long and complex for me to play at this stage but I have the score in case I'm ready to embark on something like this one day. Well done!

17. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you for listening and commenting. It's one of my favorite Chopin pieces too. And definitely one the hardest ones (for me). If it makes you feel any better, I actually started working on this almost ten years ago. I was very excited at the time and couldn't wait to get it down. Except I was not able to and kept putting it away. Not sure what got into me this past year, but I decided I was going to get this piece to a semi-decent level, or die trying. So don't give up on something you love.

18. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    And this is my manifesto too, dear Monica, I am glad you didn't give up. I don't remember your previous interpretations in detail so I cannot compare, but this one is well played for sure. There are some beautiful corners in it and a few moments IMO less accomplished. At bar 20 and in similar passages you don't pedal the quaver pause, breaking the flow of the music - I don't think that the quaver pause is intended to be heard as such. The F# minor section from bar 39 is very beautiful and piles up energy till the "poco più mosso" at bar 62, which unfortunately is a bit downplayed. The octaves in "Tempo I" section from bar 84 are heavy and quite disconnected. All the rest is great... :D

19. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, Alfonso. I think that 8th rest in bar 20 is supposed to be there. I don't think Chopin would have written it in if in fact he really wanted the player to play a quarter note. I'm probably wrong though and it may sound better without the pause.

And bar 62 (poco piu mosso) I have always interpreted that as meaning something like 'a little lighter on the feet'.

You're right about my being too heavy with those octaves at bar 84. That part gives me trouble - I can't play octaves very legato. Oh well, something more to practice....:) Thanks again!

20. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Interesting issue. My score has a pedal sign below the first 3 quavers, but it's the Mikuli edition (Dover reprint) and I don't know if that is an original indication. I don't have an Urtext Edition of the Barcarolle, unfortunately. I don't know of any other interpretation with those pauses exposed, but this is not particularly relevant, just statistics.

"Poco più mosso" means "a little livelier". And you have the same material in the reprise, as "Più mosso", just before the Coda.