Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chopin Ballade No. 1 in g minor

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by anlieder, Mar 19, 2009.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    This piece always generates a lot of discussion.

Ok – now, first of all – no one said anything bad about your interpretation of this piece. Second – you have me confused about the interpretation issue. You say you disagree about how the interpretation is built in, and then you say all composers write their interpretation in their music. That second part is what I meant. A piece like this Ballade plays like a story and when you follow the composer’s directions (markings) then you end up playing it pretty much the way the composer intended – his interpretation. But the discussion about interpretation can be discussed to death, and we have done that plenty of times here. This is about producing quality recordings for the site.

You wouldn’t know this since you are new here, but some of us like to have our mistakes pointed out. Sometimes we don’t know that we have made some reading errors, and when someone tells us about them, it helps us to go back to the music, correct our mistakes, and then make a better recording. This has happened to me often, and I am always grateful. And yes, some of us are very interested in making the least error-free recording that we can. So if you’re going to hang around here, you better get used to the way we do things. We are mostly encouraging but not afraid to speak honestly, either.

2. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    I agree at hundert percent. That are exact some of the reasons, why I like this site so much, though I have to say, it´s not always comfortable. But it´s the only way to make real progress, I think. :wink: But while helping to each other (also by pointing out slips or read errors), we try always to be encouraging, and that´s why this site is so valuable from my view.

3. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Every website has its own standards and culture, which is a good thing. And the "bar" at Piano Society is a high one, no doubt about it. When I know I'm going to post a recording here, I expend extra effort to be sure that the recording will be well received. Others do the same. So none of us would want to see any change in that high expectation. We like the challenge of meeting or even surpassing it.

At the same time, I also believe we have a responsibility to encourage the younger pianists like anlieder. And I do think that anlieder has made a good point. Consider for a moment these two extremes I use merely to illustrate: 1) a pianist who is a superb technician, but shows little or no feeling and expression in performance; and 2) a pianist without a "big technique", but who excels at lyrical expression and the magic of nuance. If we could only be one or the other, and not a blend of both, nearly everyone here without hesitation would choose being the pianist who plays from the heart. It's truly what music is about. I believe that's what anlieder is addressing--the power of bringing emotion into music along with technical accuracy, despite the presence of a few minor flaws. I can certainly relate to that. When I'm developing an interpretation, I form a vision involving the emotional content of the piece, connect it to my own experience and inner feelings, then try to imbue my playing with it and to put it across to the listener. I believe many others do likewise. Thus, I don't believe that we should minimize this element of performance. It's very important and powerful in artistic playing.

Clearly anlieder has put much work into the ballade, but also allows that it could be improved a bit. Perhaps anlieder should have some options. One obviously would be to improve the accuracy in the ballade and resubmit it. Another would be to leave the ballade in Audition Room where it can continue to be enjoyed--but not include it as is in the formal archive--and to invite anlieder to submit a good recording of another piece for consideration. I just listened to his Chopin Etude as well as Prokofiev's "Suggestion diabolique". Both are quite good. I believe that anlieder is a high potential young talent who displays impressive abilities. It seems to me that over time he would help enrich our library of recordings here. He just needs the opportunity. Thus, with two acceptable pieces already in place, I'd like us to encourage anlieder to either work out the kinks in the ballade or submit an alternate good recording in order to qualify for membership. I believe Andreas had suggested this earlier, so if that be the case, I second it.

David

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Well said, David. And of course we don't want to discourage anlieder from wanting to become a member of Piano Society. Hopefully, we are only encouraging him to work hard to produce his best possible recordings.

I have not had the time to listen to his other submissions currently in the Audition Room, and that is where we administrators appreciate when other members do comment and qualify certain submissions, thereby freeing up a little of our time. It takes us a great amount of time to do all the listening, downloading, uploading, correcting tags, making tables, etc....

5. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Rachfan wrote:
    This was exactly, what I have suggested above. I have also listened to his Chopin-Etüde and to his Prokofiev and I have made the suggestion, to accept Anlieder as a member with these two and another third recording (re-recording of the ballade or another piece).

6. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Andreas,

Yes, I too believe that would be a fair solution for both anlieder and Piano Society.

David

7. epf

epf New Member

Author/Computer Geek
    I'm jumping into this discussion a bit late. I'm probably the worst pianist here in the Society. However, by submitting pieces here and getting feedback on them I've become a better pianist. It's not always gentle correction, either -- sometimes it's very blunt. I haven't submitted anything recently due to surgery on my left hand, but I'll be submitting some more material in the near future and expect to have them examined with ruthless scrutiny.

pianolady has always been open and generous with her comments, Rachfan has suggested ways to bring out the musicality in the pieces I've submitted. But a thick skin is certainly of great benefit here.

I did enjoy anleider's submissions, slips and all. But standards are standards and all of us need to meet them if we wish to participate in this Society.

Ed

8. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Right on, Ed!! (although, I am laughing a little bit ;))

Did you have carpal tunnel surgery or something like that on your hand? Hope you recover soon.

Well ok, if you insist. :lol:

9. epf

epf New Member

Author/Computer Geek
    Monica,

No. The tendon that stabilizes the thumb on my left hand (also allows it to pull in) was torn in an accident (the thumb was dislocated) and had to be surgically reattached. There's still some discomfort, but I am once again able to play the piano. Still working on flexibility and stretching so there's a lot of recovery left to go. I'm told it could take up to eight months to get back to where I was.

Glad I could give you a laugh!

Ed