Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chopin Ballade NO. 1 in g minor, op 23

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by jxw999, Jun 4, 2015.

1. jxw999

jxw999 New Member

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    This forum is not meant to post YouTube links in order to boost your YT views.
    And I am not sure if you are much interested in feedback - you got one on your previous video and you did not even respond.

3. jxw999

jxw999 New Member

I did not reply to the comment on my previous video because I didn't know what to say to the comment since it was kind of vague. but I do read all comments and would reply to them if I have something to say

4. pianophir

pianophir New Member

Hi jxw999,

Good job on this difficult Chopin piece! However, I noticed from the beginning a few things:
    (the score that I refer to is found on free-scores)

1) try to play the first note authoritative and strongly - it gives a first impression to the audience
    2) try to phrase the first motif very connected and legato, instead of puncturing each note separately (find the climax of the phrase and musically lean towards that note, then resolve)
    3) the agitato part on page 2 should be played more firely
    4) I really liked the animato on page 6, good job :)
    5) on page 7, line 3, try to use arm dropping technique to get a rich sound out of the melody (try dropping your arm on the chord, it sound silly, but produces a deep tone)
    6) right at the beginning of page 8, try to make the melody more lush and reminiscent

The rest is interpretation, which is up to you, but these are just a few things that I believe are vital to such a lyrical piece as this one.
    Feel free to ask questions about anything that concerns you!

5. jxw999

jxw999 New Member

Thank you so much for your very detailed comment (I also viewed it on youtube). My teacher has mentioned the same thing about the beginning during my last lesson, what you said really helps a lot