Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chopin Ballade #4

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by diminished2nd, Nov 15, 2009.

1. diminished2nd

diminished2nd New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Kendrick
    First Name:
    Austin
    Here's the other product of my recording session today... don't want this up on the website yet, because I'll be re-recording it in december and I'll probably want that one up (unless the recital goes really terribly :p usually live performances are better for me and I split and/or half dropped quite a few things here...) but just thought I would post this one for you guys to listen to as sort of a "rough draft"

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Great job! You have a very good grasp of the piece and the only thing that I found to nitpick was that I think you used a little too much pedal in bars 38 - 45. Also on the 'little' notes at bar 134.

This piece bowls me over every time I hear it. I wish I knew what Chopin was thinking about when he wrote the last two pages. ( I know he wasn't in a good mood!)

3. diminished2nd

diminished2nd New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Kendrick
    First Name:
    Austin
    Oh I know it's one of my favourites... definitely up there in the list of "most beautiful pieces" that chopin (or anybody!) wrote, along with the barcarolle probably. yeah I have decided to use more pedal in the measure 38-45 passage... I think it might work a little better live/in a hall than on a recording. after getting home and listening to the recording though I am definitely going to try to change SOMETHING with those "little notes" though, they are just a blur right now :oops:

4. sarah

sarah New Member

I've been meaning to post something on this for several days. Really, you've got an excellent take on this... a little different, but beautiful. Amazingly accurate, too, for something you call a "rough draft." :wink: The only interpretive thing that I think I'd gripe about was some rushing in the "big" exciting spots, particularly at the beginning. I'd go more for a little broadening (like you did later on in the recording). But the fact that you can rush all you want to in those challenging parts is, after all, something most of us can't do anyway... :lol:

Thanks for providing some great listening to go along with the evening studies. :D