Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Chicago Amateur Piano Competition 2012

Discussion in 'Useful resources' started by pianolady, May 15, 2011.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Well, first you have to submit an audition CD of recent recordings - about ten minutes worth. Then you wait to see if you are accepted. I think this year there will be many more applicants so it might be even harder to get in. For the actual competition - the way it was last year and probably similar next year, is that there are three rounds. You play for about 10 minutes in the first round, about 20 minutes in the second round, and 30 minutes in final round. Repertoire can be practically any classical piano music but cannot be repeated in subsequent rounds. Also, you don't have to play by memory - they will supply a page-turner if you need one.

One thing I know for sure is that you cannot be too prepared! The level of playing is extremely high - really I felt some of the competitors were professional-level. But still, I liked the fact that most of the competitors were 'normal' people like me ( :lol: ) who just happen to play piano well but happened to also make slips or have memory lapses. And only about 12 people go on to the second round (last year the first round had about 55 competitors). I was eliminated after the first round, but I didn't mind because I was so relieved that I had done it in the first place. It was a real big personal challenge to myself - something I just had to do sometime in my life.

So all you have to do now is pick out your pieces and start practicing. I don't think I had a whole year to prepare last time like we do this time so this is a good thing. Let's hope you, me, and anyone else here is ready to play our heart out next May! One more thing - you get to play on a Fazioli, which is so sweet....!

2. richard66

richard66 Richard Willmer Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Amateur musician
    Home Page:
    This all sounds feaseable. 50 hours of repertoire is not out of this world.

I would say there are amateurs and amateurs. In their definition a someone who could have been a concert pianist but who happens to make his living as a diamond merchant or an astonaut would qualify. Reading many of the biographies on the site I notice many mambers are in that category, for example (not that any of them sells diamonds or lives on the moon). I have heard of pianists who gave up because they did not want to live out of a suitcase and to lead a normal life.

3. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    50 hours? :shock: Hehe.

Yes, I've noticed that the definition of amateur tends to be a bit spurious in the competition context. I don't think that someone who has been conservatoire-trained, done piano as a career, but then moved on to work as something else is really an amateur just because they don't derive an income from the piano.

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    It's a very long competition.... :lol:

5. richard66

Amateur musician
    Home Page:
    I meant a total of 50 minutes a person! Yes, for those listening... it might well be 50 hours!

I am not being self-depricating here, but I am not sure I would be (at present at least) capable even of being accepted. I certainly feel very modest when I read some of the biographies of the "Amateurs".

6. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I know what you mean, some of the bios are intimidating. But if you go into a competition like this with the notion of just challenging yourself, and not trying to 'beat' those big-shots, then you'll have a better experience. Plus, I heard a lot of music I had not heard before so I got some good ideas for pieces that I wanted to play myself some day. And then it's just sort of fun to see how people behave at a function like this. You see all kinds....

7. richard66

Amateur musician
    Home Page:
    What is the story I was told once by my earstwhile teacher? That at a competition at the Paris Conservatoire one girl came along and sat. Then the started to adjust the height of the stool. Then she sat down. Adusted again, adjusted, sat... At which point the judges told her, "Young lady, you may leave: you are disqualified."

8. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh boy, that sounds quite scary!

9. leegold

leegold New Member

______
    What a bummer!!!!
    Poor thing :(
    Hopefully by now, she has made it big and the judge is kicking himself/herself for disqualifying her!

10. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I just found out that I am accepted - that I'll be in the competition in May. Yay! :D

11. musical-md

musical-md Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Physician, Chief Medical Officer
    Last Name:
    Del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Congratulations and good luck! Look for me in 2014 :|

12. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, Eddy!
    Ok, I hope so... :)

13. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    That's great news! Hope you have a wonderful time.

14. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I appreciate that, Andrew. Thank you! :)

15. pianoman342

pianoman342 Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    Monica,

Congratulations! I went to the website and I think I may be able to go to it :) . I graduate from SIU in early May, so I should be in Chicago around that time.

What piece(s) are you playing?!? Or is it a surprise? :p

I was looking on the website but I didn't find a place where tickets are sold. Do you pay for them the night of?

Riley

16. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, Riley. You, Andrew, and Eddy make me feel good. :)

I would love to see you in Chicago :!: Looks like I'm playing at about 11:15 on the morning of May 23rd, but if you can't come that day, I will also be there most of the other days too. Most likely I will not advance after the first round, but I like to watch/listen to the other competitors too. You hear some really great music.

Regarding tickets - I don't know, but I'll check into it. As to what I'm playing - they will probably post that information when it gets closer but right now I'd like to keep it secret. I'll tell you on Facebook though.

17. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Six days, nine minutes, and 10 seconds to go....but who's counting... :)

Here is some information on the event if anyone is interested:

http://chicagopianocompetition.org/home/

They will be streaming all of it on live tv too.(I play on Wednesday morning at 11:23 Chicago time) The site is called Gigity.TV. You have to set up an account in order to view the broadcast, but it's easy to do. Here is the link:

http://gigity.tv/home.php

18. mwyman1

mwyman1 Member

Good luck Monica! What a great experience. I'm sure you'll do well. I look forward to watching the stream.

Matt

19. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, Matthew. :) I need a lot of luck - I'm sure I will make a total fool of myself....
    Sorry I have not listened to your new recordings; I have no time currently.

20. mwyman1

mwyman1 Member

No worries Monica. No matter what happens, you will not look like a fool. Nothing ventured, nothing gained right? Even if you don't "gain" a 1st place trophy this experience will enrich you in many ways... I believe you said this is your second competition, so you're an old pro practically! :wink:

Considering what I've learned about you through these forums, I'm quite positive that you are well prepared and have undoubtedly put in the practice time. Although, I do understand that there's always the feeling that one could/should have practiced more!

Now don't you feel SOOOOO much better after such an inspiring pep-talk?? :shock:

Anyway, all the PS members including myself will certainly be rooting for you!

Matt