DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 860

Cheat or what?

Discussion in 'Technique' started by John Robson, Apr 7, 2007.

1. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    I've been "working at" the WTC Prelude and Fuge # 15 in G Major. My hands are not very large. If you have a score handy, I have a question. In Measure 62 of the Fugue, how does one who has a rather small hand possibly hold the A bass dotted half with the fifth finger of the left hand while playing the BAGFE with the other fingers (probably the 1st and 2nd) of the left hand. To make matters worse, they should be played legato. I have to stretch to play the BA & G with my thumb(Definitely NOT legato). I can't stretch my second finger that far. Should I just play them NON legato or should I let got of the bass A? It blurs the descending passage if I use the sustaining pedal.

I hope this makes sense. It takes a long explanation to express a simple question.
    John

2. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Maybe my advice wont be helpful because this is Bach, and you can't cheat with Bach. But use the pedal or just roll your left hand (aka, don't hold down the lowest note)

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes i know with the pedal it would get blurred a little but my opinioin is to use the sustain pedal with a light touch and with full control..... It will work anyway

Either if you want to use it without pedal, then you have to focus working Hand Seperated, carefully, with different speeds, and with different rythyms.... (this apply not only to this piece but to many other pieces)

O.K :)

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I have not got especially big hands (average I guess) and can just manage this. But you need to be able to reach an octave with the 5th and 2nd finger so that you can put the thumb on the B and the 2nd finger on the A, then thumb under to the G and so on.
    Alternatively if you have a sostenuto pedal you can use that to hold the low G (works great as that is the higest note the pedal handles, at least on my machine).
    Failing all that you'll have to use the nose or left toe to hold the G. Sustaining pedal is not really an option because of the scales..... although if you manage to silently re-take the low G once it's in reach again,. it may not be too bad.

5. John Robson

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    trivia

Chris,

Thanks. I'll experiment with all of the suggestions. At least I'm trying some Bach again as you suggested.

I thought you probably had bigger hands than I being from the Netherlands. An article I read this week said that the Netherlands is the tallest country...meaning the average height is taller than any other country in the world. The average man is 6'1" according to that article. In the US, the average is 5'10". So I assumed you can reach further than I.

Sometimes I remember weird trivia like that. Just thought you'd like to know that. LOL

John

6. juufa72

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Re: trivia

Height has nothing to do with hand size. I know people shorter than me, and their hands are bigger.

I also heard that the Dutch are taller because one time back in the day the dams broke, flooding the entire country, and all the short people drowned. :lol:

7. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    In case you 'boys' don't already know this, it's not the size that matters - it's stamina, baby! :lol:

8. John Robson

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Size

Okay! Okay! Okay! Please! Please! Please! Let's not get into size.

9. John Robson

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Sostenuto

It works! Thanks, Chris. I never would have thought the sostenuto pedal would solve the problem. I recorded it on Audacity and when I listened I could hardly tell that I wasn't really holding the note down. If I'm careful to apply the pedal AFTER the staccato C#, the low A is the only note sustained. Great!
    By the way, thanks to you, Chris and Juufa, I'm having a lot of fun with the Bach. I've stopped worrying about the "proper" way to interpret it and am just playing the way I feel it.

10. juufa72

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Re: Sostenuto

More credit to Mr. Breemer. I never have played a single piece by Bach.

11. johnmar78

johnmar78 New Member Piano Society Artist

Food chemist / pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Mar
    First Name:
    John
    very funny,you made me laugh. This term is highly used in australia. but too short is not good :lol: