Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Charles-Valentin Alkan

Discussion in 'Repertoire' started by yam, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Lukecash

Lukecash New Member

student
    But Alkan never did marry. Alkan treated Delaborde very well, but it was a touchy topic for him, as he was very much afraid of scandal. Very self conscious individual.

2. RSPIll

RSPIll New Member

Church Musician, Choral Accompanist, Musical Theat
    How did we get from Alkan to Thanksgiving side-dishes (at least in the U.S.). :lol: I guess that "Alkan" could be a brand name -- "I'll have some Alkan Candied Yams."

Actually, what we call "Yams" in the U.S. are not yams but orange sweet potatoes. Yam was a marketing gimmik in the long past to separate them from the whiter sweet potato. A true yam is, I believe, similar to the taro root.

Now for a message from our sponsor -- Alkan yams ....

3. yam

yam New Member

Ah, perhaps that's why I don't find them sweet at all, while you guys do :)

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I suspected that a yam was a little different from a sweet potatoe, but I didn't realize by how much! I just looked it up here:

http://homecooking.about.com/od/howtoco ... todiff.htm

Since I don't like sweet potatoes, I never cared about learning about them or about yams for that matter. Not sure I would like a 'real' yam or not.

@RSPIll - I see you also live in Illinois. Wonder if we know each other! And btw - I fixed your quotes.

( I can't think of any clever way to bring this back onto topic...)

5. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    We could always talk about Liszt! :D

6. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Yeah - he knew Alkan. Also, Chopin - we hardly ever talk about him! :wink: :lol:

7. yam

yam New Member

Indeed! How about a dicussion on how those 3 influenced each other? Or some other composers like Ravina who actually directly copied Alkan.

8. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I don't know of Ravina, but did Alkan know about this? And you gave some nice examples in your videos of how Liszt 'borrowed' bits of Alkan's music, and Alkan 'borrowed' bits of Chopin's music. Don't you wish you could have been in the room with them to hear what each of these men said when they learned about these things? I wonder if they felt angry or if they were flattered? You know the saying, "imitation is the best form of flattery" or something like that...

9. yam

yam New Member

Ravina is mentioned in my video. He directly copied the opening bars of the piano solo in Alkan's Concerto da camera No.1 in one of his etudes.

Hmm I myself would be flattered, but it would also perhaps influence how I thought of the others as composers, or perhaps even annoyed if i thought someone had stolen my ideas and composed a better piece.

Something I found after I made the video is the obvious similarities between Chopin's Butterfly Etude and Alkan's Etude Op.35 No. 12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFWVXrDD ... 7&index=11

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i27_BGnB1M0

10. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Yes, that would be hard to take.

And you're right about the Butterfly Etude and Alkan's Etude sounding alike. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there are more examples of Alkan using some of Chopin's music, because Chopin bequeathed his unfinished Method of teaching theory to Alkan. Not sure if this book contained music, or just text about theory, though.

11. RSPIll

RSPIll New Member

Church Musician, Choral Accompanist, Musical Theat
    Thanx for fixing the quotes. Broken quotes seem to go with age.

If you take Halsted Street south and continue through corn field after corn field until you're sick of looking at corn fields, you would find where I live -- the Sweet Corn Capital of the World.

Actually, we probably haven't met. I left IL in 1975 and returned to the mid-west in 2002, living in Indianapolis until just recently. I haven't been to Chi-town in years.

Now back to the topic at hand .... :wink:

12. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    well, we had it back on topic for a little while, anyway. :) Maybe yam will come back and get us back on track. In the meantime, I actually live in the western suburbs and I suppose you are right in that our paths have never crossed. I've never been to Hoopeston.

13. yam

yam New Member

hmm I went away for a few days and then forgot about it, so maybe I can put you back on topic now :lol:

I've started learning the Grande Sonate 20 ans, it seems impossible to play up to speed. Do you think this is worth my work or if there is another piece that would be more enjoyed by others? (I really want to play Alkan though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZFAhgfc1Fc

14. sarah

sarah New Member

Have you looked at Alkan's A major etude (first set)? I think it's pretty manageable.

15. yam

yam New Member

16. sarah

sarah New Member

Yes, that's a great one too. I like that one. It is a fingertwister, though... but what Alkan isn't? :wink:

17. yam

yam New Member

Barcarolle from Op 65 :D It's quite easily sight-read in fact, a nice change :p

18. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Also the little one that I recorded - the Esquisses Op.63, no. 46 "Le premier billet doux".