Thank you to all those who donated in 2015!

DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 595

CD Quality Recording

Discussion in 'General' started by juufa72, Jan 9, 2007.

1. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Hello, I am curious to know what kind of equipment it takes to produce CD quality recordings. I know it is possible to achieve good quality with the edirol; however, I doubt that many professional recording studios use such a simple device.

Besides having a good piano and good microphones, what else is needed?

Thank you,
    -Juuf

2. MindenBlues

MindenBlues New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    http://www.family-schmidt-minden.de
    From the signal converting side most sound processors are far beyond the CD quality. CD has 16 bit for the signal quantization and 44khz for the sampling rate. All modern sound processors including Edirol or moderate expensive sound cards have at least 24bit and 48khz, if not 96khz or more. That means, one needs to downsample it at the end to come down to CD quality.

That is however only half the thruth. Because the recording surrounding is what is most important, quality of piano, of microphones, of preamplifier, the room acoustics.

And what helps if the Edirol has 24bit quantization, 48 or 96khz sampling rate, but the Signal-to-Noise-Ratio is relative poor (that means one hears pretty much noise)?

Juuf, what I don't stop wondering is why you record with an Edirol, put in front of a loudspeaker, for a recording of a digital piano (so you told). With a cheap cable you can connect directly the Edirol to the digital piano. For 5 dollars or so more for the price of a standard cable you would get already a much better recording. That is what I never will understand.

3. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    I use the edirol for school too :D It saves my hand from having to write. But someday soon i will purchase myself a real piano, I will be graduating from school in 1.5 years (winter 2008) and lucky for me I have no student loans to pay. Paitence Mr. Olaf :p