Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Catoire, Quatre Morceaux, Op. 12, No. 4, Etude-fantastique

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Rachfan, May 7, 2010.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Elementary, dear Watson :)
    It was only a matter of time before you would turn to Medtner, and find everyting you find in Bortkiewicz and Catoire, and then some.
    Any piece you pick is worth the effort. Though admittedly, some works are awfully long and winding.

2. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Oh, Medtner is one of the composers that my favorite pianist Berezovky plays often! (again after Lyadov :D)
    Yes, you keep me wondering, too, David. Anyway, how exciting is the moment when we make the choice of the next pieces!!!

3. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Sigh... I wish I could experience such an exciting moment. Choosing a next piece is like trying to take a drink from a firehose :lol:

4. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Chris and Hye-Jin,

Awhile back there was a lengthy thread where several of the members were discussing Medtner and encouraging me to look into that piano literature. I had found that Medtner's music did not appeal to me as much as some of the other late romanticists. Soon after that thread discussion I bought several CDs to sample more of his music, but was still not convinced. (I do though try to be fair and objective.) Well, on my own I found another piece, not on those CDs I purchased, but that captured my attention and inspired me immediately. So I'll be glad to play it, or try to anyway. Being new to Medtner's idiom, I don't know if I'll be able to interpret him as well as other pianists, but we'll see. If nothing else, my approach will certainly be different. :)

Deciding on new repertoire: I love that fire hose analogy! But the repertoire is so vast, maybe trying to drink from Niagara Falls would be the better description! :lol:

David

5. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    You might be interested in the Liapunov Nocturne as a complementary piece to the Catoire. It's op.8 and it's on imslp. Chopinesque, but with harmonies typical of Liapunov. I think it's a beautiful piece and have been intending to get around to learning it properly, but it's still in the "to do" pile.

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    And then there's Glazunov ! Another marvellous Russian composer with a string body of piano music. And Cui, whose Preludes I find very impressive (but haven't tried them yet). I often wonder what it is with these Russians and the piano. They all seem to have a natural talent for it.

7. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi andrew and Chris,

Yes, Liapunoff has been on my to-do list, so I'll definitely have a look at that nocturne you mentioned. He wrote some wonderful pieces. I think, for example, of "Nuit d'ete"
    from the Transcendental Etudes that you recorded, andrew--superb! Oftentimes Liapunoff's music is very accessible, but other times it's terrifically difficult to play.

Glazunov wrote some fine piano works too. I was completely unaware of the Cui Preludes though. Of "The Five", Balakirev, Borodine, Mussourgsky, and Korsakov have become household names to musicians. But Cesar Cui somehow always seemed to me to be much less known. Probably that's why his name didn't occur to me relative to the piano literature. But Catoire wasn't well known either! I'll have to check into those preludes. Thanks for mentioning them.

David

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    They're all on YouTube. Of the mighty kooshka, Cui was IMHO the better piano composer after Balakirev. Borodin didn't write anything of substance, Rimsky only a handful of moderately interesting things (though his piano concerto is rather good) and Moussorgsky would have been marginal were it not for the Pictures. Glazunov, all of his piano works are very fine if occasionally a little academic. I still plan to record his Theme and Variations, though I got side-tracked as usual. I've given up on the Preludes and Fugues - they're just too damn difficult and long :roll:

9. kojiattwood

kojiattwood New Member

To clarify, they're not misreadings (whether one approves of them or not), but rather conscious textual emendations (as Cyprien and I often are prone to do).