DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2017-12-31
$ 1,000
So far donated
$ 1,045
Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2016.
A big thank you to Project Petrucci who has helped us already meet our 2017 goal!

Can playing piano cause hearing damage?

Discussion in 'General' started by cindy_kidd, Jun 6, 2017.

1. cindy_kidd

cindy_kidd New Member

Last Name:
    Jones
    First Name:
    Cindy
    Hi!! I'm not a professional pianist but I love to play it. I have been studying it for around 10 years.
    A few months back I started playing a digital piano and there are pain and ringing on my right ear. It gets worse when I play. Has anyone here heard of hearing damage occurring due to digital pianos?
    My mom said it is common for musicians to have hearing issues and she advised getting musician ear plugs to prevent the damage. I have scheduled an appointment with a licensed audiologist in Toronto for next week to know the exact cause of hearing issues.
    I hate the idea of ear plugs but I don't have any other options. Since I cherish my hearing, I need to adjust accordingly. I hope the doctor won't say to stop playing the piano for a while. I have a piano competition on 1st July in my locality.
    I think I have the piano volume too high. Will that be the cause of hearing loss? Any thoughts are highly appreciated. Thanks!!