DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 750

Busoni - Sonatina No.3

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Apr 18, 2013.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    This is a re-recording of Ferrucio Busoni's 3rd Sonatina. I love this piece a lot, Busoni in a lighter and more genial mood than usual. Still not sure what exactly the intriguing title means - I guess he wrote this for lessons to some young American girl.

Busoni - Sonatina No.3 (Ad usum infantis Madeline M.*Americanæ) (6:52)

Edit - Just noticed Busoni happens to be the composer of the day. What coincidence !

2. Affinity

Affinity New Member

Heard this work for the first time, and I must say that it is a really subtle grace and beauty to it all. You bring out the yearning themes of the 1st, 2nd and 4th movement very well with tasteful rubato and voicing. Especially liked the ending of the second movement. However, I think you play the 5th movement too gently though; don't really hear the ceremonioso very much, and it doesn't really have the air of an ending. Not sure if making it louder in general would make it better however. You could also slow down more in the transition from the 4th to 5th movement.

Your recording really makes me want to learn the piece. Is it difficult to learn in your opinion?

3. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for that Jon. Mvt 5 is only marked un poco ceremonioso, as well as sotto voce e sostenuto, so I would not want to make it too brash. It works up a bit of steam justy before the code, which is then marked pp, and at the end morendo and then piu sostenuto. No, I don't think I'd want to change how id did it.

No, it is not overly hard. Certainly not for Busoni standards :) And well worth the effort IMO.

4. troglodyte

troglodyte Member Piano Society Artist

Professor
    Last Name:
    Parrow
    First Name:
    Joachim
    What a charming piece! Elegantly played and with lots of humour. I particularly enjoyed the concluding Polonaise. If you really want nitpicking the RH runs in the vivace could be a bit more even - not that it detracts much from your fine performance, in all this is very nicely done!

5. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    If it wasn't for the Society, the only thing that I would know about Busoni would be the transcriptions, particularly Bach. Therefore, I had always assumed him to be a rather conservative composer. Thanks for setting me straight, Chris, I'll have to try to listen to some more of this interesting music.

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    A belated thanks, Joachim ! Yes I think it could be more fluent in places but otherwise this came out well. I've always liked this piece a lot.

7. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Stu. Busoni certainly wan't a conservative composer despite his earnest devotion to Bach. I can't honestly say I like everything he wrote, his
    music can be quite dour and/or ponderous. Not unlike Hindemith and Reger (but like these colleagues, he could also write a real charmer when he
    wanted to).
    I will also be submitting Busoni's sonatinas 4 and 5 in the not too distant future.