DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 860

Bull & Bach

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Apr 1, 2012.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
  2. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    These are two nice organ pieces (in the real sense of a full Bach-Bull power drink except that you don´t need any stimulant drug here, though I have to say I have no experience concerning that :lol: )!

Nice playing of the Bach, which I have followed with score. I truely couldn´t find anything to nitpick here. :cry: :wink:

The fantasy by Bull is also very beautiful, I didn´t know it, so thank you very much for sharing. I couldn´t find the score of it, but it sounds also very well played to me.

3. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Andreas. There would be nitpicks here, be it small ones. The Quint manual coupling, which I usually like, doesn't sound good here in the Bull piece, and the runs, though executed very clearly and detached, are blurred by the reverb. In the Bach, the pedaling is noisy and the LH passage work is not optimally clear in places. There's even some wrong notes, although they don't sound wrong, I just have a habit there of playing something else than written. This was actually an extremely hard piece for me to get into. Playing with LH and feet only is a weird experience and takes long to get used to.

4. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    So you are the best teacher of your own. It´s very good and important to have the capability of self-analysis respective -critique like you demonstrate above.
    Is that piece really only for LH and pedal or does it contain just the most notes in LH and pedal?
    (Hold your thumbs for my performance of excerpts of Matthew-Passion on friday.)

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Mostly. The RH only comes in at regular intervals with a short strophe of the chorale melody. This is quite common in chorales, but the difference here is extreme. Both the pedal and LH parts are very difficult (at least for me).

6. musical-md

musical-md Active Member

Physician
    Last Name:
    del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Hi Chris,
    I enjoyed the Bach work very much -- it's hard not to like Bach -- and I feel you did a fine job with it. The Bull was a bit boring to me given the incessant repetion of the ascending line, which, I suppose, must have been the Sweelinck fugue subject, but find nothing to critique in the performance. (I Know next-to-nothing of organ playing. I know there's a gas pedal down there somewhere for volume.)

7. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Eddy. Funny that you should find a fugal piece boring due to the incessant repetition of the subject :p

Good tip about the gas pedal. I'll go looking for it. :mrgreen: