Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Brahms-Moszkowski - Hungarian dances

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by felipesarro, Aug 31, 2008.

1. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Yes, it should be indeed brahms-moszkowski, that's the good practice.

Felipe, very good as usual, I too love Brahms's HDs but I keep hoping to be able to learn 1-2 of them in the original form some day in future... :oops: I'm not too crazy about Moszowski's adaptations.

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Definitely. Though we have not been terribly consistent here - and I wonder if we should even try to be.

If somebody was looking for Rachmaninov's adaptation of Bach's violin partita, I guess they'd look under Rachmaninov rather than Bach. Similarly, Liszt's numerous transcriptions should probably be liszted under Liszt and not scattered over Schubert, Wagner, Beethoven ...

I am so glad we don't have to file Hamelin's elaboration of Busoni's paraphrase of Liszt's transcription of Paganini's La Campanella .... :roll:

3. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Still for a short time, I'll record it the next week... :lol:

4. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius

Exactly :!:

(p.s. nice pun on list / liszt..., but I never heard "list" pronounced "leest". :wink: )

5. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    thanks to all people who enjoyed those dances :wink:

hm...
    maybe except for Liszt, whose transcriptions are very famous, in all other cases I find it better to list in the original COMPOSER section. if I was looking for Godowsky's transcriptions of a Schubert's piece, if I didn't find it at Godowsky section I'd surely seek at Schubert.
    moreover, if one wants only to listen to a certain piece by Bach, no matter who made the transcription (or one wants to listen to several different transcriptions and arrangements of the same Bach piece), one can find it easily in the Bach section.

but...
    keeping in both Moskowski and Brahms seems the best choice.
    a CROSS-OVER section, as suggested, seems very good also.

but that's only my opinion. :lol:

6. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Well, I don't want to prolong the debate but.... I would defer to Maurice Hinson who has provided us with highly useful repertoire guides. In his guide, The Pianist's Guide to Transcriprtions, Arrangements, and Paraphrases, he could have chosen to list the transcribers and arrangers in alphabetical order such that the user would look up their works that way. Instead, he chose, wisely I believe, to do his listing by original composers in alphabetical order, interspersing the transcribers'/arrangers' names as cross-references and sending the reader in most cases back to the original composers. My sense is that, unlike the master composers, some of the arrangers and transcribers are less well known. So the original composers best serve as the real focus for referencing the transcriptions or arrangements. But I'm also flexible in my thinking, as long as consistency is the goal.

7. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    Yeah, that's my point also.

8. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Note: I edited my post above for accuracy. The main point remains the same though.

9. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Actually we have had this very same discussion several times before. I much value consistency, but I do not believe it can always be attained, and keeping in mind the cumbersome way our CMS works, I do not fancy changing anything that is already there - however inconsistent it may be. I think it is best to take a decision on a per-case bases. There are cases where the transcriber is as just as important, or even more so, that the composer. Some transcriptions are all but new compositions, and some are merely note translations.

In this case we have chosen correctly but I would not want to make this the rule for each and everything of mixed origin. For example I recorded these Antiche Arie e Danze by Respighi. Should I have filed them under the respective obscure Italian composers ? I think not (even apart from the extra work :wink: ).

10. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius

correct; you'd file it under "_Various"

11. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Neither I. Some of them are by unknown composers and at any rate all of them are free transcriptions from the original for lute. So, this is PianoSociety, not LuteSociety ( :lol: ), and it'd make no sense to put up a Vincenzo Galilei page... As to Moszkowski's HDs, they are adaptations from Brahms's piano originals. It's good to have them in both the composers' page (since a Moszkowski page already exists), but the filename should be brahms-moszkowski and not the other way around. I understand that, as you say, any rule has its exceptions but in the end what should be accounted for is findability. All this is just MHO.

12. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Findability, absolutely. On any website, I find a good seach function far more important than the way a site is organized. Actually when looking for something, I tend to skip sites without a search function as I can't be bothered to sort out the site navigation. Pretty sure that many people behave like that.

Not sure how smart our search is (I think it's Google-based) but it seems to work well enough.