Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Brahms Fantasien Op.116 - Hector Sanchez

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by hectorjs, Dec 1, 2007.

1. hectorjs

hectorjs New Member Piano Society Artist

Pianist. Chamber Music Professor, Conservatory of
    Last Name:
    Sanchez
    First Name:
    Hector
    And from the same recital in which I played the Prokofiev Sarcasms I posted earlier, I can also send you this recording of Brahms Fantasien Op.116, one of my "war-horses", I've been playng it for quite some time... this recording contains a couple of mistakes here and there, but musically speaking I was very happy with the result.
    Here are the titles for the 7 pieces:

1. Capriccio. Presto Energico.
    2. Intermezzo. Andante.
    3. Capriccio. Allegro Pasionato.
    4. Intermezzo. Adagio.
    5. Intermezzo. Andante con grazia ed intimissimo sentimento.
    6. Intermezzo. Andantino Teneramente.
    7. Capriccio. Allegro Agitato

Hope you enjoy it. All the best to everyone!

Brahms Op. 116, No. 1

Brahms Op. 116, No. 2

Brahms Op. 116, No. 3

Brahms Op. 116, No. 4

Brahms Op. 116, No. 5

Brahms Op. 116, No. 6

Brahms Op. 116, No. 7

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    These are up, Hector. What a beautiful tone you have. I love number 2.
    Number 5 had a strange knocking noise which I think may have been a pedal noise?

Please check all the links. And btw, you look a little like my own piano teacher.

3. Mr Duffy

Mr Duffy New Member

i listened to Nr.2 and i can only comment: woha! you play it with such ease...
    i'll be cheching with great curiosity every post of yours.
    thanks, Mr Duffy

4. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Brahms

Wow! These are peformed very beautifully. After listening to the first three, I decided to download the complete set to my computer to make a playlist I can listen to more ofter. Thank you, Professor Sanchez.

It's nice that you included your name with the title of each piece when you posted this set. Good idea.

5. hectorjs

Last Name:
    Sanchez
    First Name:
    Hector
    Thanks everyone!! :):):)
    It makes me so happy to see that you like the recordings! I'm always too critical of myself... ;)
    More things coming very soon!

6. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Next to Schubert and Prokofiev, you are also a great Brahms player. I found the first a bit too fast and hectic. But ok, it's marked presto so perhaps it should go like that. I especially enjoyed the sonorous middle section of the no.3. It's one of these great moments in Brahms where the heavens seem to open, like in the middle of the scherzo of the 2nd clarinet sonata, and the pianist can just get carried away on the sheer Brahms sound. The Adagio is very beautifully done too. In the no.5 I missed some of the grazia ed intimissimo sentimento (very hard piece to bring off, this one). In the no.6 your beautiful touch is heard to best advantage again. Nobody but Brahms could write so much sonority in his chords even at a modest volume. Like no.1, I found no.7 a bit too hectic again in the start, but great praise for your handling of that difficult middle section. In the reprise, you clearly 'smell the stable' and get carried away a bit.

All in all a very good performance ! You need not be critical of yourself, a couple of slips can happen to the best - but yeah, it's always infuriating when it happens, especially in places where there's no reason for them.

7. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Very good playing! I enjoyed every second of it. I am not entitled to commented critically ;).

8. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    incredible! that piano and recording equipment must be 100,000 Euros or more.

9. hectorjs

Last Name:
    Sanchez
    First Name:
    Hector
    Thanks everyone for the nice comments :)
    juufa72: the recording was made at a concert, the piano was a steinway grand, and it was recorded by technicians from the National Spanish Radio (they later broadcasted it), so I guess yeah, the recording equipment was probably the best! ;)
    Chris: THanks for the criticisms. About the first and last pieces, I'm afraid I don't quite agree with you: The first piece is definitely marked "presto energico", and it's written in 3/8. That probably means that the basic pulse he had in mind was more for whole bars than beats within the bar, otherwise he would have written it in 3/4. So I honestly believe it should be "at least" as fast as I play it, if not even more... as for the last one, it's marked "allegro agitato". He doesn't use the term agitato very often in his piano music, and when he does, he usually feels the need to "tame" the marking with additions such as "un poco...", "non troppo presto", "andantino" or "allegretto", which makes me think that the term itself had quite stormy and unsettling connotations for him. Maybe I overdid it a little, but in any case, I believe the piece should be quite a shock, after the 3 intermezzos...

Anyway, I'll post more stuff soon (i'm quite busy the next couple of weeks).
    All the best! :)

10. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Hector, I add my congratulations. You deserve much praise for this achievement. As I see it Opus 116 is the most elusive Brahmsian set (and by the way my favourite, along with Opus 119). I liked your beautiful tone and the subtle agogic nuances. Great playing, on par with other great Spanish "Brahmsian" pianists like Josep Colom and Joaquín Achúcarro.

Looking forward to it.