Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Brahms - 4 Klavierstücke Op.119

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by alf, Jun 20, 2010.

1. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    We add something to the "Urtext" all the time! We have to. Secondly, Urtext (or, more rightly, a good critical edition) should be like a compass, or a map, that is, a reliable reference system. Then you choose where to go...

2. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    I seem to remember finding a shortcoming or two with your Chopin 15/1 nocturne. Perhaps soon you can find shortcomings in my 55/1 nocturne. :wink: I am enjoying relearning it. And my Bach too of course. I can already predict some of your criticisms.

Of course, I tend to comment more on pieces I am familiar with, but I do like chiming in on your threads. I probably wouldn't have commented on this one if Hye-Jin hadn't given me the opportunity to complain about her digital piano, which I'm not sure I've done before. :lol:

3. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    And I'm glad you did. Offer valuable criticism and you'll fall again into the "most attentive and dedicated members" category.

Dunno, I'm not so familiar with it... :p

Would you believe me if I said that there's much less to complain about a well played digital piano, as in HJ's case, than about many dull performances on a fine grand?

4. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    I don't believe I have ever been in that category, or ever will be.

It's okay; you can post just to say you don't like it much and I won't be offended. :wink:

You already know my opinion here.

5. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    I'm not familiar with many of the pieces I usually comment on (take Catoire, for instance). I'm caught by an interpretation of a piece, not by the piece per se.
    And if you play an instrument, you as a listener don't need to know intimately what has been played to express an opinion on the performance, I believe.

6. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    Terez...
    do you rename Alfonso's quote references to "Alfie"?

that's funny! :lol:

7. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Haha, I find it cool that my complaint resulted in a compliment for my "well played digital piano" 8) 8)

8. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    I'm sorry Alfie; I wont comment on your recordings any more unless I know the piece (because regardless of your expectations, I can't think of anything to say about a performance unless I know the piece, unless there is something that stands out to me, which of course there almost never is in your recordings).

9. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Then I'll better learn a lot of Chopin next! :mrgreen:

10. 88man

88man Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Vosgerichian
    First Name:
    George
    Hello Alfonzo, I finally had a chance to listen to all the pieces. What a wonderful project you set out to accomplish for the year. These performances are all highly musically polished and very well played. This nice suite is a testament to your balancing intelligence and emotional impact within your music. Bravo!

George

11. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    And Bach! Yes, I know I'm not so familiar with Bach's keyboard works as I am with Chopin's music, but I am working on it, and he's the one composer that really inspires me to become familiar with all of his music, so....one day soon, I will know it all. :D I have been listening less lately, and practicing more, but I go through occasional periods where I listen a lot. Also, from earlier:

I think I will be a mixture of all these things. But two motivations stick out to me:

1. I work best when I have goals to work toward. This is why I didn't progress much at all in the ten years between college stints. But juries are only once a semester, and recitals once a year, and once I'm done with my performance degree, I will probably be going to grad school for theory, and won't have many performance requirements.

2. I love the idea of making music available to people for free, and I want to do my best to interpret my favorite composers in such a way that will help others to love their music as much as I do.

I find the criticism less useful for me because I know most of my problems already. That is not to say that I know all of them, or that I find criticism to be completely useless; I do have a tendency to respond better to technical advice than advice on interpretation (which generally puts my back up), but I can handle even the latter so long as it is delivered in a technical context (like Chris's criticism often is, for example).