Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Blumenfeld - Etude for the left hand alone

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by benjamink, Jun 14, 2015.

1. benjamink

benjamink New Member

This has been a work in progress for a long time, and still has a ton more work to do. Regardless, I decided to make a recording last night. Feedback is welcome, but please try to find at least one thing positive to say :) - I am an amateur, piano is strictly a hobby for me at this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy-YqcY3Oik

Recording equipment was just a cheap camcorder, I don't have any dedicated audio recording equipment.
    Piano: Mason & Hamlin BB

2. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Hi Benjamin, I'd like to reiterate what I said on pianostreet. Perfectly respectable playing, and the only aspects in which I think it could be improved are in the sense of fantasy and "presence". I also said there that I thought the dynamic range was a bit limited, and now that you've added that it's camcorder audio, that's almost certainly the cause. (Many camcorders, by default, boost low volumes and put a ceiling on excessively loud volume). Additionally, perhaps it's a little on the slow side, but the tempo didn't bother me. Nice to hear this rendition.

3. benjamink

benjamink New Member

Andrew, thanks for the feedback! I completely agree with all of your feedback. I think it could use more "fantasy" or be more free especially in the cadenzas, which up to this point are fairly metronomic. I agree about the camera volume, it really dampens the dynamic range of the performance - someday I will invest in some nice microphones.

Thanks again!

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Very good indeed. I thought you are not an amateur in the customary sense of the word.

5. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hello Benjamin, welcome to Piano Society!

Wow, I am very impressed! I don't think I could play this piece as well as you with both my hands!

6. troglodyte

troglodyte Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Professor
    Last Name:
    Parrow
    First Name:
    Joachim
    Not at all bad! Though I think it usually goes quite a bit faster - how that is possible I do not know, it seems awkward enough at your tempo.

Joachim

7. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    Wonderful rendition, and nice instrument too.
    I do audio only, so I cannot comment on the sound recording of camcorders, but I think that the others are right in thinking that something artificial is compressing your dynamics range. You certainly look like you're doing more with it than the recorder brought out.