Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Billy Joel - Invention Op. 6 (video)

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Dec 28, 2014.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Billy Joel, "the Piano Man", has written some classical music that I recently discovered through a dear friend. The whole book was recorded by Richard Joo, of "Igudesman & Joo" fame. It's a wonderful CD...Joo really plays well! Anyway, there are around four or five pieces in the book that I want to learn, and this is one of them. It's a short, one-minute-long invention. I bet if I didn't say the piece was written by Joel, someone out there would think it was really by Bach.

So here it is....I recorded it as a video yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iDMQai ... fVnX5BuRtg

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Not as good as Bach's Inventions but still a nice piece. Seems like Joel is a composer to be reckoned with.
    Good performance though you don't sound and look optimally comfortable in it. You should play more Bach :)
    I don't understand what happens at the end. The closing notes are very strange rhythmically.
    Your piano does not sound as open and bright as it used to. A bit muffled as it were. Been fluffing around with the recording setup again ?

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I'm really enjoying the book. The more I play some of the pieces, the more I like them!

I don't understand what you mean by 'not feeling comfortable'. I was perfectly comfortable! However, I was struggling a little with my articulation. You know how it goes when making videos....it takes a long time! It was late in the afternoon when I finally got a take that wasn't terrible, but I was tired and I think some of my articulation paid the price. The only thing I did different with the recording setup is that my camera was using the tripod that my Edirol usually uses, so the Edirol was sitting on a chair next to the piano. This means it was lower....usually my Edirol is above the strings by a couple feet....and perhaps having it closer to the ground makes the piano sound muffled. It doesn't sound bad to me though.

4. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Monica,

Your playing was very good. I can well understand a grueling recording session--been there many times myself.

Billy Joel--who would have guessed? This invention is certainly Bach-ian in its nature.

Decades ago ago I recall the young Andre Previn doing jazz improvisations on the piano of the Steve Allen Show. Then he was playing/recording Rachmaninoff duo piano music with Ashkenazy! Next he was conducting the London Symphony! So my guess would have been that Joel definitely had some training in Classical music--and I'm right. A bit of digging revealed that in his youth Billy studied piano with Morton Estrin, one of America's finest concert pianists and pedagogues.

I also watched your video of "Jingle Bells". Delightful!

David

5. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi again, David.

Thank you again! And for the Jingle Bells thing too!! :)

Yes, I have also heard of many, many pop/rock musicians whose roots are in classical music. At least the 'good' pop/rock musicians are the ones who last and have staying power.

Hope you have a Happy New Year!