Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Beethoven Waldstein video

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by felipesarro, Jan 29, 2009.

1. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    This is not supposed to go up the site. But I was practicing to send it to YouTube's Symphony competition. I didn't have enough time to polish it, so it remained unsent. Maybe someone enjoy or have fun viewing it. :lol:

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=r-8VGZyKOLQ

I do intend to record this sonata in the future, in a better rendition.

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    That was a little fun to watch. I think it is interesting how the music stand on your piano is very low compared to where music sits on a grand piano. You have it right in front of your face and it is even easier to turn pages. Wish they would make grand pianos with a lower music rack. I remember playing on an upright and then switching to a grand and it was like the music was a mile away from the keyboard.

3. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Waldstein

"So near, yet so far." Not really, "so far". You are very close to doing an excellent job on this very difficult sonata. I hope you continue working on it. I noticed how it seemed to get more difficult for you as you approach the end. I think the development section, which is the most difficult, needs a little more work. Don't give up. You are obviously very talented and have the ability to do yourself proud.

4. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    hehehe
    I HATE reading scores in a grand piano. I feel completely lost when I have to play in the grand piano of my teacher. hehehe

Sure!
    It's not good. That's why I didn't send it to the YouTube competition. I played this sonata two years ago. And then I discovered this YouTube competition the day before yesterday. So I had only one day to practice both Waldstein and the Symphony for YouTube. As yesterday was the last subscribing day, I quit. hehehe

Thanks for your nice comment! :D

5. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Felipe,

I just listened to your Waldstein and congratulate you on bringing the piece this far. Your musicianship is impressive. There are just a few rough spots in the passage work, and you know where they are. I think if you spend some additional time polishing those, you'll have this piece fully up to "recital pitch". This is a very good rendition!

On the low position of the music desk on the upright: I imagine it must be easy, looking downward at the score, to also lower the eyes in a flash to watch an articulation on the keyboard to ensure accuracy. On a grand, one's head, not just the eyes, has to actually tilt downward to view the keyboard well, thereby leaving completely the straight-ahead sight line with the score, and risking getting lost and stumbling in those few seconds. The upright certainly has the advantage there!

David

6. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    For an impromptu recording, this is very good. You evidently know this sonata very well, and have the measure of it. But you were wise to not send it in for the competition, it's a bit ragged. Do they want a pianist for this orchestra anyway ?
    There should be more drama and dynamic contrast here. I think. The cut at 7:26 is bit jarring. Good solid pianism though. With a bit more work, this can be real good.

7. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    You play very musically and expressively here, but as you know yourself, there are too much blemishs in it, not only wrong or missing notes, but also some few rhythmical flaws. In spite of all these blemishs it was a pleasure and fun to listen and to watch these recording.
    I´m attending your "polished" recording with interest.

8. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    Thanks David and "Musicusblau" :D

well... this is my favorite Beethoven sonata. even when I didn't like Beethoven. hehe

yeah... :?
    I played this sonata two years ago (or maybe a little later).
    and then I had only 2 days to prepare it again... I was unable to do a better job in such a short time. (yeah... I know that great pianists do it... but I'm not one of them hehehe)

not really. they want to do a whole international orchestra, with musicians selected by YouTube videos.
    but this orchestra will have only one presentation, in Carneggie Hall. then... it's over, I think. hehe

well... In fact I do a great dynamic contrast... my teacher always complains, saying that I play too forte, and too piano at times.
    but there are the limits of my upright piano and the recording device. hehe
    and sure I do not do the same dynamic contrast I would in Rachmaninov or Scriabin.

I really don't know how to do it with videos... hehe
    in fact, there should be no cut in my video... but then it was almost midnight... I could not record more times... that's why I quit sending videos for this competition. time was over.

Thanks!

9. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Hey Felipe, overall a good job on this difficult movement, despite the unavoidable flubs. Do you think you'll keep working on it and the rest of the sonata, or was it just a flash in the pan?

10. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    I myself don't find this movement that difficult. It's quite comfortable at hands. What really scares me is the third movment, with those triplets. hehehe

I had played this whole sonata in the past, but it takes a while for me to put it on fingers again.
    I do intend to record three Beethoven Sonatas: Op. 10 no. 1, Pathetique and Waldstein.
    but I don't know when.
    First I need to finish some other stuff I've already started... like Bach Partita no. 6, Brahms variations Op. 21 no. 1 and Alkan's Concerto de Camara no. 2. And I need to tune my piano. hehehe (mainly for recording Bach)

Thanks for listening. This was just a fun-movie-recording. hehehe
    Thanks for giving such attention to it. It does not deserve such. hehehe

11. Lukecash

Lukecash New Member

student
    One point... :lol: You're not supposed to have to use the sheet music after a while, but i don't envy professionals who have to memorize dozens of pieces and some of them the performer doesn't even like... :cry: