DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 755

Beethoven Sonata No 30 Op 109, Prestissimo + WIP 3rd Mvmt

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by mwyman1, Mar 3, 2013.

1. mwyman1

mwyman1 New Member

Being without a piano for several months has been torture! ;) I was in the middle of working up Beethoven's late op 109 sonata, but unfortunately will likely need to re-record most of it once I get another piano.

2nd movement, Prestissimo
    I do have a complete recording of the 2nd movement, however, which I've included here for consideration. I'm not thrilled with the sound quality, as I hadn't planned on submitting 109 in pieces and didn't mess with settings too much for my early recordings. But I did put a lot of work into this movement and would appreciate any feedback! Since there is no recording of the 2nd movement on the site, thought this may be interesting.

3rd movement, Theme and Variations
    Also, I've attached a work-in-progress segment for the 3rd movement. It's only the first few sections, and the last part is spliced in (you'll notice a small section skipped). Not for site submittal, but if you have time to give me feedback on what I've done so far with the 3rd movement I would be VERY appreciative!! Just trying to make the best of my time without my piano. :?

Thank you!

Matt

2. pianoman342

pianoman342 Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    Hi Matt,

I had a listen to your Beethoven recording 30, no.2. I think you do a nice job here. The angry defiant Ludwig comes through, from the start to the snappy closing cadence :)

3. mwyman1

mwyman1 New Member

Thanks Riley for listening. I fell in love with this Sonata for the final movement with its beautiful theme and interesting variations. This second movement has grown on me, as a piece might once you become more familiar with it.

I guess there is some anger in there, although to me it seems more majestic and a little playful. Very interesting!

Thanks again.

Matt

4. mwyman1

mwyman1 New Member

Here's an updated version of the 2nd "Prestissimo" movement with some buffer added to the beginning. :)

Thanks, Matt

5. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    Thanks for the buffer, Matt.
    Also - very good rendition. I found the sound quality to be not a problem if I turned the volume up and listened closely. The piece is exciting enough that it will probably "grab" the listener, anyway.
    I do hope you get access to an instrument soon.

6. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    http://francoisdelarrard.chez-alice.fr
    Hello Matt,
    I have just listened your second movement. I have practiced a lot the 109 opus; it is definitely one of my preferred Beethoven's sonata. All the sonata is sublime, from the first mvt to the theme and variations. As for your Presto, I liked your rendition. If you allow me, I would just advise to play with some light accents on the beats, and to keep a more strict adherence to the ternary tempo (especially when you have whole notes followed by a eighth one: it is important not to tend to play equal duration, otherwise you loose the rythmic efficiency and the 'driving' effect, which is very peculiar to this music). IMO this movement should go on in an implacable, relentless way, as it is placed between two pieces of love and serenity. I am looking forward to listening your entire 109 !

7. mwyman1

mwyman1 New Member

Thank you Francois for taking the time to listen and comment. I'm glad you liked the rendition, and appreciate your suggestions. It's nice to hear from someone who has played this piece! :)

The 2nd movement is indeed quite prickly compared to the other movements. Interesting to read that the 1st and 2nd movement are often played as one. The final movement is a very different experience indeed, but the 1st and 2nd also are also so different to me I never really understood why played together.

Matt