Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Beethoven - Sonata no. 12 in A-flat major Op.26

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by harald, May 18, 2008.

1. harald

harald Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Vetter
    First Name:
    Harald
    I recorded this piece two years ago. Not on one day - I needed several months. Even the variations in the first movement were recorded seperately. I joined them to have the first movement in one file.

I hope you like it. Only one complete recording is on the site until now - maybe we'll have one more ;-)

Beethoven - Sonata no. 12 in A-flat Major, Op. 26, I: Andante con Variazioni

Beethoven - Sonata no. 12 in A-flat Major, Op. 26, II: Scherzo: Allegro molto

Beethoven - Sonata no. 12 in A-flat Major, Op. 26, III: Marcia funebre

Beethoven - Sonata no. 12 in A-flat Major, Op. 26, IV: Allegro

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi Harald,

Yes, now we have two of these on the site. :wink: Please check all links.

Your playing sounded very nice to me. And this may be a ridiculous question, but I'm going to ask it, anyway: Do all 'funeral marches' have that same rhythm?

3. harald

harald Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Vetter
    First Name:
    Harald
    Hi Monica!

The links are OK - thank you for your work! Do you have to edit the artist's page by hand or is this done automatically?

I think I've played only two funeral marches. At least they had the same rhythm.

Many greetings from germany,

Harald

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica

The list of recordings is automatic after we direct a link from the place where the file is, to your bio page. The words in the biography part of the page are usually pasted in. But it can be edited anytime. Just let me know if you would like something changed.

5. troglodyte

troglodyte Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Professor
    Last Name:
    Parrow
    First Name:
    Joachim
    Very good! I particularly liked the 1st mov. In the last mov. the rhythm is a bit jagged, interrupting the pulse a bit too often for my taste. Otherwise your playing is very elegant - sometimes at the expense of drama, but that of course is a matter of taste. The funeral march certainly sounds sad, but hardly tragic.

6. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    I played this sonata, too (several years ago). I still remenber it was not so easy to play it, not only in interpreting, but also in technical aspect (esp. the second movement!!!). But you played it well.
    I agree with troglodyte that your performance is very elegant, but nealy always so soft and mild that one can't catch the sometimes subtle, sometimes very contrasting change of the atmosphere well.
    To the last variation of the first movement: I heard that the third notes in the "Triole" at the beginning of the variation are too loud. Is it your intention?
    But as a whole I enjoyed this beautiful sonata a lot, so thanks!
    The sound of recording is very nice. Could you tell me what kind of instrument or recording equipment you have?

7. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Good to see you back Harald, with another quality recording. A very good achievement.

There is little to criticize or dislike about your take on this sonata (which is one of my favourite Beethoven sonatas btw). It is all very tastefully and thoughtfully done, and sounds great (is it a digital instrument ?)

Yes I do have one reservation. It all sounds so cautious ! I miss that essential sense of exuberance and even danger. You prefer to slow down in any place that may be a bit risky (and there are lots of risky places in any Beethoven sonata) instead of meeting the music head-on. Your tempi are rather slow and sedate, except in the finale but even then you throttle back when the music would need to press on. I can see why do do it, it makes for a note-perfect recording (if there any wrong notes, I did not hear them) but ultimately I would like a bit more excitement even at the expense of some imperfections.

But once again, this is a quality recording.