Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Beethoven - Pathétique, first movement

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Daniel Hoehr, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Daniel Hoehr

Daniel Hoehr Guest

This is just to get some feedback. I'm obviously still working on it, so I wouldn't like to have this recording on the site. I'll be posting a recording of all three movements in the hopefully not too distant future.

I know there's the odd slip in it and I don't always hit the right keys. What I find a bit frustrating is the tremolos in the left hand. I find it very difficult to play them evenly, although this has improved quite a lot over the last weeks.

Any comments and suggestions will be vastly appreciated.

Also, I'm still struggling with the recording equipment...

2. harald

harald Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Vetter
    First Name:
    Harald
    Hi Daniel!

This is a very nice interpretation! Especially you master the fast tempo throughout the whole movement - that's not an easy job! Very good technic!

I only wish a bit more cleanness in the RH at 04:09 and 04:15.
    And as you said - your recording equipment seems to make little background noises.

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi Daniel,

Wow - this is really good. And so fast! Your trills are crystal clear and that descending chromatic RH run at bar 10 was really, really fast. I don't think your tremelos were uneven.

I did notice a couple places that I think may be reading errors:

1. Bar 8 - the LH - 3rd set of 16th notes - the middle note should be a B-natural, so that this chord is the same as you get in bar 9 (LH- 1st chord).

2. Not a reading error, but I could not hear the RH at bars 169-172 when RH crosses over LH.

3. Bars 183/185/187 - RH, 2nd quarter note, bottom note should be a C#.

Very nice job. Don't you just love that end? Good way to let out some anger!

4. Daniel Hoehr

Daniel Hoehr Guest

Thank you, harald and Monica, for having a listen and letting me know what you think.

It is very unclean and uneven, I'm fining quite difficult to control that passage at the moment. I think I've overpractised it.

Yes, it is a reading error. Time to have a look at the music again, I suppose (I usually play this from memory).

I'm quite sure what you mean. I have an edition without bar numbers (Schott) and maybe I've counted the bars incorrectly, but I can't see any hand crossing in those bars. Could you scan them in and post them?

Oh yes. :eek: As one of my piano teachers once said: "It's not that difficult, Daniel. The black things in front of your nose is the music."

The end if great. It's not very often that you see a whole bar rest at the end of a piece. So no ritardando and keep the tension for another bar after the last chord (which is, I think, too long in my recording.)

Anyway, thanks again for your comments. You've been very helpful.

5. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    My score does not have the bars marked, either. I've probably counted incorrectly. Here is what I am talking about:

[​IMG]

And looks like I was wrong when I said the RH crosses over the left - it doesn't. But it's down there low on the keys. I think that even though that part is pp, it still needs to be clear, because it produces a kind of mysterious, rumbling effect.

Funny! :lol: